Sony A7R III Poor quality images

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Stu

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
stu
Recently purchased Sony a7riiiA...24-105 f4 G lens, really disappointed with the results out of camera, excessive noise, soft images, poor colour. Shooting manual with auto iso, keeping an eye on the histogram, Aperture priority all with similar results. I have previously used canon 5d iv, Do I need shoot differently with Sony technology. I have looked at YouTube and tried different setups but still can't get the results I was expecting. Open to any ideas and tips.
Thanks in advance
Stu.

Post links to full resolution files with Exif.

As above. Post a couple of sample pics and we can see. Also let us know which AF mode you are using.

hard to diagnose with out knowing settings & seeing examples. I have an A7R3, so maybe my experiences might help? I often shoot low light & night photography. One thing I've noticed with mine, some things such as marching band competitons I shoot at high ISO, 3200-4000. Those shots are extremely noisy & 'grainy' due to the ISO. Other cameras I shoot are much cleaner in this range. However, software like Topaz Denoise can restore these with near zero noise.

As far as focus & color, that could depend on what your focus settings are. Again using the band stuff, I usually use AFC and center points, so it stays focused on genreally whatever is middle of frame. Perfect everytime? No. Colors being off can be traced back to are you processing jpeg or raw? I try to process raws and I have seen that white balance can be all over the place (even if it's set to something specific, such as daylight or even a specific temperature.

I rarely use auto ISO and try to set as low as possible for what I'm doing. Auto ISO can spike and account for noise. Soft focus can be many things. With my set ups, I usually find it's locking onto something different than I want (even with an individual point or small cluster of focus points.) Your situation & set up might be very different. Just explaining mine and what I run into.

I would like to know more on this as this is the camera I would like to step up to with my next one and information on this could sway my mind.
But the 2nd comment made me feel a lot better with my thoughts so this one could be very handy for those of us thinking of this as an update.

Guys,

'Stu' hasn't been here in over two years.

However, I have the RIII and the 24-105. A good many of the images I've posted here are that exact combination. No problems at all, in fact the combination is top notch.

DSC02212 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC02283 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00165 by telecast, on Flickr

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back