Printing advice

Ian S

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Smith
Looking for some pointers from anyone with printing experience. I have rarely printed any of the shots I take. My wife now wants a large print of a place we have visited regularly for the wall (as shown). I have looked at the data on the original image and it is as follows 5896 wide 3931 high dpi 300.

I have some software called blow up which claims to create larger images without loss of quality. I have played with it and now have an image with the following data 12756 wide 8505 high 360dpi. the aim is to have an image around 40 to 50 inches wide.

Couple of questions. Does anyone have any experience, Am I likely to get a good image at this sort of size. I don’t want to order it and find out it’s poor. Assuming it is worth a try any advice on paper type would be appreciated, there seems to be so many options out there.

DSC07390Blea Tarn at Sunset September 2023 16 copy 2 for blow up copy.jpg
  • ILCE-6500
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 100

If you go to a reputable printers with latest technology print equipment I regularly get 150cm x 100cm (60"x 40") prints of high quality suitable for hanging at home or office from 40-50 MP image files at 300dpi.

It is important to check the colour quality of your pc image against the printed image on a small sample print to check the colour profile compatability before printing in large scale.

If you go to a reputable printers with latest technology print equipment I regularly get 150cm x 100cm (60"x 40") prints of high quality suitable for hanging at home or office from 40-50 MP image files at 300dpi.

It is important to check the colour quality of your pc image against the printed image on a small sample print to check the colour profile compatability before printing in large scale.
Thanks for that. From what you're saying I could reduce the amount I've increased the image using blow up which if I've worked it out correctly comes to over 100 mp. Also sounds like a good idea to get a smaller print first. Cheers

So your image enlarged should be good for something that is in the 40"x30" range. I think it might need some work before you get it printed in that size as the sky might be a lot brighter in print and the dark sections will probably lose all detail. Generally before I get things printed I'll buy some small prints from Amazon (4x5 run 0.17 each) which can be used to check the color and in some cases the brightness. If I am going to print something that large though I might also get a print in the 12x18 size which runs about $10.

So your image enlarged should be good for something that is in the 40"x30" range. I think it might need some work before you get it printed in that size as the sky might be a lot brighter in print and the dark sections will probably lose all detail. Generally before I get things printed I'll buy some small prints from Amazon (4x5 run 0.17 each) which can be used to check the color and in some cases the brightness. If I am going to print something that large though I might also get a print in the 12x18 size which runs about $10.
Thanks I'll do that, I didn't even know that amazon did photo printing, although I don't know why I'm surprised. Just had a look, mid reply, i looks like a lot of different places so I'll also have a look at the reviews. What paper do you use?

I found a really good place in Melbourne that does the whole process of a framed image delivered in hand. Never really looked elsewhere actually, they're really good! Melbourne obviously ain't helping you much though mate... 😄

I found a really good place in Melbourne that does the whole process of a framed image delivered in hand. Never really looked elsewhere actually, they're really good! Melbourne obviously ain't helping you much though mate... 😄
It they were going to hand deliver it the postage might be a little much. and I might have to put the courier up for the night :unsure:

I recently had to print an image for a customer that I wasn't sure would print well. I contacted my print shop's CS and asked them to evaluate it and make a recommendation. They asked for the high resolution jpeg which I sent them via drop box. They said it would print fine, and they were right.

I use Nation's Photo in the US. Upon request, they will check the color and contrast to make sure the image will print properly so you don't need to soft proof ahead of time. They also guarantee their work.

I recommend that you locate a printer with similar services (perhaps Nation's know of one in the UK) and enlist their expertise.

I recently had to print an image for a customer that I wasn't sure would print well. I contacted my print shop's CS and asked them to evaluate it and make a recommendation. They asked for the high resolution jpeg which I sent them via drop box. They said it would print fine, and they were right.

I use Nation's Photo in the US. Upon request, they will check the color and contrast to make sure the image will print properly so you don't need to soft proof ahead of time. They also guarantee their work.

I recommend that you locate a printer with similar services (perhaps Nation's know of one in the UK) and enlist their expertise.
Thanks Tim I like that idea. it would give confidence if they assessed it first. Cheers. Also i guess if you find someone who gives service you are more likely to stick with them.

Also i guess if you find someone who gives service you are more likely to stick with them.
They're the only ones I use anymore, for just that reason! (plus they're pretty good at printing! :ROFLMAO: )

Thanks I'll do that, I didn't even know that amazon did photo printing, although I don't know why I'm surprised. Just had a look, mid reply, i looks like a lot of different places so I'll also have a look at the reviews. What paper do you use?
There are a lot of print places. I use amazon as a test print, small paper prints and calendars.

For the print size you are looking for I would use Whitewall.com (I have 4 large prints from them including 2 58"x15"). They are generally a little more expensive than other places (though guess when you win best print lab in the world several times that happens) but I have found that they have the most options for print sizes, the most framing options (available in all print sizes) and available types of prints. They have a Digital Appointment feature in which you can discuss everything from the image data to the printing options to how to best hang it. I haven't used the Digital Appointment but years ago as part of a trip to NYC I discussed with them options for one of my 58"x15" prints and it was a great experience.

There are a lot of print places. I use amazon as a test print, small paper prints and calendars.

For the print size you are looking for I would use Whitewall.com (I have 4 large prints from them including 2 58"x15"). They are generally a little more expensive than other places (though guess when you win best print lab in the world several times that happens) but I have found that they have the most options for print sizes, the most framing options (available in all print sizes) and available types of prints. They have a Digital Appointment feature in which you can discuss everything from the image data to the printing options to how to best hang it. I haven't used the Digital Appointment but years ago as part of a trip to NYC I discussed with them options for one of my 58"x15" prints and it was a great experience.
Thanks David. I’ve just checked and they do operate in the UK so I’ll have a closer look👍

Back