Samyang 35-150/2-2.8 to be announced April 6, Sigma primes today (April 3)

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Looks like 1350/Eu and $1450/US. Kind of expensive for a Samyang, will have to see lots and lots of samples. Plus that's only $450 less than the Tamron, which would be the more desirable of the two based on past experience only. If it's not smaller/lighter with excellent performance, seems like the Tamron is the better choice.

New Samyang teaser: 35-150mm f/2-2.8 FE will be announced on April 6th​

Follow the live stream for the triple Sigma E-mount lens announcement!​

There seems to have been a flurry of videos launched on YouTube today as soon as the embargo lifted. Naturally I was only paying attention to the APSC lens 🤣
You should be all gaga over the Samyang. It has a dolly zoom feature. Would love to see how that works. Please buy one and let us know!

Naturally Samyang releases this lens now since I just received the Tamron 35-150 :D

I hope the Samyang is just as good because the Tamron is crazy sharp. No idea if it is par focal - no clue about video editing or capture.
For stills it will be a great event lens and actually decent for walks around the neighborhood.

Heavy though. Better autofocus than expected.

Naturally Samyang releases this lens now since I just received the Tamron 35-150 :D

I hope the Samyang is just as good because the Tamron is crazy sharp. No idea if it is par focal - no clue about video editing or capture.
For stills it will be a great event lens and actually decent for walks around the neighborhood.

Heavy though. Better autofocus than expected.
Let us know if it's parfocal. That's a nice feature. I tried to find it but they don't spell it out in the specs, and none of the reviews say one way or the other.

super quick and dirty:

Not ready to claim it's parfocal but breathing seems pretty minimal in the viewfinder at 150, 35 and somewhere in between stayed in focus. Pleasant surprise as a lot of my favorites (the Sony GMs) are not. :)

Last edited:
super quick and dirty:

Not ready to claim it's parfocal but breathing seems pretty minimal in the viewfinder at 150, 35 and somewhere in between stayed in focus. Pleasant surprise as a lot of my favorites (the Sony GMs) are not. :)
Yeah, it is parfocal-like but not quite parfocal. I really like mine for events on the A1.

From: https://www.cameralabs.com/tamron-35-150mm-f2-2-8-di-iii-review/

I also tested whether Tamron’s zoom lens allows you to change the focal length without altering its focus. This characteristic is called parfocal. I focused the lens at 150mm and then slowly zoomed back checking focus on the way. The 35-150mm f2-2.8 Di III did not keep its focus perfectly. It’s not a huge deviation but enough to be seen even at only 50% magnification or a 4k image/video recording.

Yeah, it is parfocal-like but not quite parfocal. I really like mine for events on the A1.

From: https://www.cameralabs.com/tamron-35-150mm-f2-2-8-di-iii-review/
Just tried it again on a quick dog walk and going backwards from 150 - it did lose focus slightly zooming on something really easy - in my case a car license plate.

The event use case is *exactly* why I wanted this lens but it's a nice walkaround neighborhood lens. Not something I'd want to take on a long hike.

For a long hike, I prefer the Tamron 28-200 for the IR camera and the 24-105 for the visible light camera. The 28-200 Tamron is nice but after more than a year of usage, the zoom creeps too easily. I must hold the zoom in place even at a 45-degree angle. I've had the 35-150 since the day of its release and it is still a solid zoom, no zoom creep and for low light no flash allowed events the number of times it goes out-of-focus has been equal to what I experience with my GM zooms which is very low (about 2 out of 5,000 shots).

For a long hike, I prefer the Tamron 28-200 for the IR camera and the 24-105 for the visible light camera. The 28-200 Tamron is nice but after more than a year of usage, the zoom creeps too easily. I must hold the zoom in place even at a 45-degree angle. I've had the 35-150 since the day of its release and it is still a solid zoom, no zoom creep and for low light no flash allowed events the number of times it goes out-of-focus has been equal to what I experience with my GM zooms which is very low (about 2 out of 5,000 shots).
Looks like I'll be selling my 830nm Lifepixel XE1 because I picked up an old A7 converted to 720nm today. The 17-28 looks good at first glance and I've read the 28-200 is good too. It also exhibits creep on a long walk. :)

Looks like I'll be selling my 830nm Lifepixel XE1 because I picked up an old A7 converted to 720nm today. The 17-28 looks good at first glance and I've read the 28-200 is good too. It also exhibits creep on a long walk. :)
17-28 is an amazing lens.

Hey @Timothy Mayo, can we have a ℹ️ (informative) added to the reaction choices? The previous 5 posts are all informative.

Wow, that's crazy! I really thought the 28-200mm would stay tight. I guess I really just use mine as a 70-200mm so it doesn't really get a heap of use and it's still like new.

My AF IR kit consist of the Tamron 17-28, ZA 55, and Tamron 28-200. Three great lenses for infrared but the ZA 55 is the best of any AF lens on the E-mount. Note that the 70-200 GM II, 100-400 GM, and 200-600 G work quite well for IR (cannot use the teleconverters on the lenses for IR though).
Example of the ZA 55:
R7200458-Pano.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

Example of the 17-28.
R7207793-Panoc1-116.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

The new lens is showing up on Amazon Eu, no price yet. A quick check of B&H shows no listing.

Well, here it is. WOW. I am impressed, at least for now. The Tom Calton review is a direct comparison with the Tamron. The US price is set at $1315, a little more than I hoped, but not as bad as I feared. I am going to watch for more reviews and samples. This may be a winner. :unsure:

Big lens, but impressive features. Samyang seems to have copied 95% of Tamron's design. Almost as if they got their hands on a pre-production prototype and skipped most of the R&D phase and expense, which allows them to pass the savings on to their customers.

Big lens, but impressive features. Samyang seems to have copied 95% of Tamron's design. Almost as if they got their hands on a pre-production prototype and skipped most of the R&D phase and expense, which allows them to pass the savings on to their customers.
That could be 100% by contract. We may never we know, but it stands to reason.

So, I hadn't heard or seen anything new on this lens since the initial announcement. Been checking B&H and others every few days. Nada. Got antsy and emailed Samyang CS, never figuring they'd spill the beans. They responded in less than a day:

Hi, thank you for contacting us. We anticipate getting the first batch of lenses to arrive within the next week or so. Pre-orders get first priority from the shipment.

Thanks,
The Samyang US Team

Sooo.....

Not going to preorder, I want to see some real-world samples from joe lunchbox first. I've watched a couple of reviews though, and so far the eye focus, focus speed, and tracking seem to be really top drawer, as well as image quality. I can see selling my 35/1.4 if I get one of these. Not being a prime shooter it rarely comes out of the case, and f/2 is plenty fast.

Back