Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Interesting.

Screen snip of poll results as of this posting:
Capture.JPG

If you're not upgrading from an older Sony APSC, or are planning to get a full frame, the a6700 doesn't have the spec-sheet to satiate the fickle masses. Many of the comments on their facebook page and elsewhere simply ridicule the a6700 as another sub-par upgrade (compared to the Canon R7 and Fuji X-H2S/XT5) and not the "flagship" Sony was hyping up. Can't blame them.

Or maybe the way the questions was asked is not reflecting what he really wants to know... Which is whether people will buy it.

I think it was on this forum someone said "if you buy a camera/lens on the day of release you know 2 things for sure and that is you will be the first one to have it and you will have paid the most for it". Perhaps he should have asked whether the audience see themselves buying one the 3 items in the next ~6months.

Another thing is that a lot of people might want to wait and read/view some real reviews after a few months. At least that is what I would do. And, lastly, as the size is same as the A7C people in the market for this potentially are interested in the A7C-II which is rumored to be announced later this year. Looking at myself, this is definitely applicable to me.

And in all fairness, the SAR guy has posted a misleading title.

SAR Poll shows only few of our readers will buy the A6700 and the new lens.​

When the question in the poll is:

What are you going to preorder today?

Two vastly different questions that can probably be attributed to English not being his first language.

I also think that APS-C users aren't huge preorder people. Most will probably wait to see how it looks once they can lay hands on one.

Or maybe the way the questions was asked is not reflecting what he really wants to know... Which is whether people will buy it.

I think it was on this forum someone said "if you buy a camera/lens on the day of release you know 2 things for sure and that is you will be the first one to have it and you will have paid the most for it". Perhaps he should have asked whether the audience see themselves buying one the 3 items in the next ~6months.

Another thing is that a lot of people might want to wait and read/view some real reviews after a few months. At least that is what I would do. And, lastly, as the size is same as the A7C people in the market for this potentially are interested in the A7C-II which is rumored to be announced later this year. Looking at myself, this is definitely applicable to me.
That's hyperbole. The A7 IV just went on sale for the first time in the US at a measly $100 off. It has been the same price since it was introduced a year and a half ago. 3-6 months isn't going to change a thing in pricing. When was the last time you saw Sony drop the price on a camera, other than the old models? If you want to wait a few years to get the best price on what becomes an obsolete model while you waited, then it's a sound theory.

People fall into one of three groups. The "latest and greatest" crowd, the "bought it when I decided to" crowd, and the "hold off to get a better price" crowd. I think most of us fall in the middle group.

I have only preordered one thing in my life, and that was the A7 IV. I would need to be very impressed by a combination of specs/price/need in order to do it again, meaning that it would have to be exactly what I need at the right price. Nikon has gotten very close with the Z8, I am hoping the rumored mystery camera is going to be similar.

The options for macro are limited. Maybe it will find its niche coupled with tele converters, for a very sound all rounder.

I also think that APS-C users aren't huge preorder people. Most will probably wait to see how it looks once they can lay hands on one.
THIS.
In fairness, yes I am a Cheap SOB, but I'm not in the habit of dropping $1500 on a whim. Plus I am finding out that kids are not cheap, and I only have the one! LOL!
I suspect that many APSC users are similarly budget-conscious. Many like me will probably be looking to sell their current APSC cameras to put towards this one, which rules out a pre-order.

The options for macro are limited. Maybe it will find its niche coupled with tele converters, for a very sound all rounder.
Only if you can't drag yourself away from the brand name. B&H lists 25 options for E mount Macro, from $139 to $1600. And this lens isn't macro anyway, in the true sense of the word. Macro is 1:1 or better.

But if you only want to carry one lens and a TC for 70-400 + Macro, I can see it.

That's hyperbole. The A7 IV just went on sale for the first time in the US at a measly $100 off. It has been the same price since it was introduced a year and a half ago. 3-6 months isn't going to change a thing in pricing. When was the last time you saw Sony drop the price on a camera, other than the old models? If you want to wait a few years to get the best price on what becomes an obsolete model while you waited, then it's a sound theory.

People fall into one of three groups. The "latest and greatest" crowd, the "bought it when I decided to" crowd, and the "hold off to get a better price" crowd. I think most of us fall in the middle group.

I have only preordered one thing in my life, and that was the A7 IV. I would need to be very impressed by a combination of specs/price/need in order to do it again, meaning that it would have to be exactly what I need at the right price. Nikon has gotten very close with the Z8, I am hoping the rumored mystery camera is going to be similar.
True, but the way they offer discounts (at least here in CA) is that for the same base price of the body you get extra stuff (e.g. an additional battery and a CFexpress card). I just checked the A7IV as I have my eye on that one as well and compared to a month ago it actually dropped an additional 100 dollars (Link). I think Sony has once or twice every year a cashback action where you can get a few 100 dollars off as well.

I agree, most people will be 'bought it when I decided to' group, which also validates my point on the way SAR asked the question. Also, before making an expensive purchase like a new body, people will want to hold it in their hands first (at least I want to :cool: ) instead of ordering 'blind' online.

Anyway, for me personally, the A6700 is a valid option to upgrade to from my current A6300. On my list are the A7C-II and the A7IV as well. Knowing that one of the cameras still has to come out this year (hopefully) I will wait a bit.

Lastly, but that is my personal view, minor discounts do not impact my decision on which new gear to buy. As I will most likely use the body for the 5-10 years, a 100 dollars is like a drop in the ocean. The gear I decide on should fit my needs and I should feel like it has been thoroughly reviewed.

THIS.
In fairness, yes I am a Cheap SOB, but I'm not in the habit of dropping $1500 on a whim. Plus I am finding out that kids are not cheap, and I only have the one! LOL!
I suspect that many APSC users are similarly budget-conscious. Many like me will probably be looking to sell their current APSC cameras to put towards this one, which rules out a pre-order.

I can only agree with this :)

True, but the way they offer discounts (at least here in CA) is that for the same base price of the body you get extra stuff (e.g. an additional battery and a CFexpress card). I just checked the A7IV as I have my eye on that one as well and compared to a month ago it actually dropped an additional 100 dollars (Link). I think Sony has once or twice every year a cashback action where you can get a few 100 dollars off as well.

I agree, most people will be 'bought it when I decided to' group, which also validates my point on the way SAR asked the question. Also, before making an expensive purchase like a new body, people will want to hold it in their hands first (at least I want to :cool: ) instead of ordering 'blind' online.

Anyway, for me personally, the A6700 is a valid option to upgrade to from my current A6300. On my list are the A7C-II and the A7IV as well. Knowing that one of the cameras still has to come out this year (hopefully) I will wait a bit.

Lastly, but that is my personal view, minor discounts do not impact my decision on which new gear to buy. As I will most likely use the body for the 5-10 years, a 100 dollars is like a drop in the ocean. The gear I decide on should fit my needs and I should feel like it has been thoroughly reviewed.

I can only agree with this :)
That price CA is within $30 US of the current US price. It's $100 less than the normal price. The current sale is due to Amazon Prime days.

The issue isn't how they asked the question, they actually ask two separate questions which would have very different results if posted separately.

The issue isn't how they asked the question, they actually ask two separate questions which would have very different results if posted separately.
If he would have used 'preorder' instead of 'buy' in the title, it would have been a good reflection of the poll. But I guess that will attract less clicks.

I’d pretty much only consider a stacked sensor crop Sony. A baby A1 or A9 would be cool.
A bit like the D500 was to Nikon.

Otherwise I still enjoy shooting my Fujis for things that don’t move.

Well.....I got on the pre-order list early yesterday. For me, it definitely ticks many boxes over the 6400. I already own quite a line-up of lenses, and need the compact kit for small bush-flights within Botswana/Zambia. Stabilization , better low light performance, and the ai subject recognition were deciding factors. (Ie, I can shoot Maribou storks on one side of the vehicle, and turn to the other side and focus on an elephant quickly, without having to monkey with settings). I trust the fellas (and gal) from the Camera Store here in Calgary, and their opinions on how it feels in-hand. I've held the 6600, and it felt much better than my 6400, and according to everyone, this new 6700 feels even better.

Just to comment on price.......the A6600 hasn't really been on sale, until the announcement of this new APSC. It was released in 2019. I am not willing to wait 4 years to perhaps get a couple hundred dollars off (at best). That isn't a determinant for me, as much as the specs of the camera. And it was only a marginal improvement from the A6400. The A6700 comes in at the same price that the A6600 was a couple of months ago, and is a great improvement for how/what I shoot. I am glad I waited to upgrade, as I feel the leap from the 6400 is far greater to the new model for the exact same price jump. It was not worth it to me, to upgrade to the 6600, but is definitely worth it for the A6700.

I just hope, I have it in-hand in time for my October trip to Zambia. I will be doing a lot of walking safari, so looking forward to just having that lightweight 70-350G on a stabilized body, with much better low light performance, and the ability to track birds, mammals, birds&mammals, and insects.

I am glad I waited to upgrade, as I feel the leap from the 6400 is far greater to the new model for the exact same price jump. It was not worth it to me, to upgrade to the 6600, but is definitely worth it for the A6700.
I think that statement is spot on.

Well.....I got on the pre-order list early yesterday. For me, it definitely ticks many boxes over the 6400. I already own quite a line-up of lenses, and need the compact kit for small bush-flights within Botswana/Zambia. Stabilization , better low light performance, and the ai subject recognition were deciding factors. (Ie, I can shoot Maribou storks on one side of the vehicle, and turn to the other side and focus on an elephant quickly, without having to monkey with settings). I trust the fellas (and gal) from the Camera Store here in Calgary, and their opinions on how it feels in-hand. I've held the 6600, and it felt much better than my 6400, and according to everyone, this new 6700 feels even better.

Just to comment on price.......the A6600 hasn't really been on sale, until the announcement of this new APSC. It was released in 2019. I am not willing to wait 4 years to perhaps get a couple hundred dollars off (at best). That isn't a determinant for me, as much as the specs of the camera. And it was only a marginal improvement from the A6400. The A6700 comes in at the same price that the A6600 was a couple of months ago, and is a great improvement for how/what I shoot. I am glad I waited to upgrade, as I feel the leap from the 6400 is far greater to the new model for the exact same price jump. It was not worth it to me, to upgrade to the 6600, but is definitely worth it for the A6700.

I just hope, I have it in-hand in time for my October trip to Zambia. I will be doing a lot of walking safari, so looking forward to just having that lightweight 70-350G on a stabilized body, with much better low light performance, and the ability to track birds, mammals, birds&mammals, and insects.
Excellent justification. Please let us know how it performs when you get it in hand!

Excellent justification. Please let us know how it performs when you get it in hand!
Hahaha!! I can help you justify any purchase. lol. I really am looking forward to the IBIS, as I am handholding for stills in quite often less than ideal situations (ie early am, or dusk). It ticks my outdoor, wildlife, light kit boxes, while at the same time, I have a son who is a content creator for a local radio station, and so who can actually now purchase (ahem! instead of constantly borrow) my A6400. My lenses need another entire conversation.

For the pre-order, I am also out ZERO dollars. No money down whatsoever. When they call though, I better be ready to "rock and roll". If, I choose to turn the purchase down, I just ask them to go down the wait list. But if I want it, then payment is due, and I can pick up immediately. Tough thing is, we have no clue when stock will arrive. It could be in 5 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months. I'm hoping for sooner than later, and will report back when I receive it, and have a chance to play a bit.

Back