Sony A6000 Sigma 16mm f/1.4 lens

benmunro

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ben Munro
Evening all,

Hope you've all had a good Christmas and looking forward to the New Year!

I've just bought a Sigma 16mm f/1.4 lens. I was going to get a used one but then saw Amazon had a decent deal on a new one and my good lady twisted my arm (that and she wanted to get a new Dyson Air Wrap thing). Can't wait to get out with it. Not had my a6000 long but love it and it is so much better than my Canon 1300D.

Just wondered if anyone here has the same lense and has any settings to share for getting some nice images. I know it's all dependant on location, light, etc. but thought I'd ask and, if anyone has any images they've taken with their lense, too. I love looking at what other people have captured as a benchmark for getting some images myself.

Stay safe!
Ben

Hey Ben, welcome! I have that lens, and I fully appreciate that it is a technically awesome lens, but would you believe it is one of my least used lenses? The zooms these days are so good (I use the Tamron 17-70 90% of the time). I have a few samples, I will look for them later today.

Ben, I forgot to mention, that Sigma 16mm lens has a very short focus distance, so its good for close-ups like this:
DSC04104.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 16mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary 017
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 800

I have a few sunset photos with it, but they're buried in my old harddrives.
How have you been liking the lens so far?

Ben, I forgot to mention, that Sigma 16mm lens has a very short focus distance, so its good for close-ups like this:
View attachment 29760

I have a few sunset photos with it, but they're buried in my old harddrives.
How have you been liking the lens so far?
Only just logged on and seen this! Amazing photo. Did you use manual focus? I like the DMF focus where you can use the best of AF and MF to refine. Did you crap that image? I'm not sure if I'm just still getting to grips with it but so far, macro-ish photos haven't come out great with the 16mm.

Only just logged on and seen this! Amazing photo. Did you use manual focus? I like the DMF focus where you can use the best of AF and MF to refine. Did you crap that image? I'm not sure if I'm just still getting to grips with it but so far, macro-ish photos haven't come out great with the 16mm.
I believe I manually focused, with focus peaking giving me a sharp reading about a quarter of the way into the bowl. I try not to use such a shallow depth of field anymore for food shots, I think people want to actually see the details of the food throughout the frame unless there is an artistic intent to the contrary.
Regarding the crop, I think it was minor. I really did keep my lens very close to the bowl to fill the frame.

The Sigma 16 is great at close focusing, but its too wide to give you great macro performance. Post up some examples man, lets have a look!

Hey @FowlersFreeTime, sorry for the late reply!

Thanks for the reply :) I've had a quick go today and grabbed the nearest thing I could to me - a bottle of fountain pen ink. I did a range of shots in auto mode and then manual. They're not too bad... I've had to export and upload the images as JPEG. :)

DSC03310.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • 16mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary 017
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 1600

Last edited:
Back