Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
What causes chromatic aberration? I did lens correction and a quick auto edit for demonstration purposes: Pixel peep the highlights for some extreme purple fringing.
Is this because I took the pictures hand-held? I'm definitely less than impressed with this f4 lens in low-light conditions; I think the Sigma 16mm would have performed better.

DSC04505.jpg
DSC04506.jpg

Chromatic aberration occurs due to light being diffracted unevenly along different wavelenghts. That means some frequencies will hit the sensor on different spots, although they actually originated from the same place.

Wide angle lenses tend to be more prone to this, especially the closest you get to the borders, due to obvious reasons. Also, different apertures will provide different results, the more elements your lens has, the more chances you get to acquiring aberration, and that also brings us last but not least, zoom lenses also raise the stakes.

Aberration is quite easy to correct in post, though... especially if shooting RAW, and even more if you have your lens profile loaded, since the it becomes a matter of just "realigning" channels the proper way, in the proper spots.

It looks like LCA (longitudinal chromatic aberration). You can think of it as bokeh fringing. If you take the same picture at f8, the purple fringe should almost disappear
Edit after zooming in more:
I looks more like TCA (transversal chromatic aberration), so closing the lens more should not make any difference. They can be automatically and efficiently fixed in post.

Last edited:
Chromatic aberration occurs due to light being diffracted unevenly along different wavelenghts. That means some frequencies will hit the sensor on different spots, although they actually originated from the same place.

Wide angle lenses tend to be more prone to this, especially the closest you get to the borders, due to obvious reasons. Also, different apertures will provide different results, the more elements your lens has, the more chances you get to acquiring aberration, and that also brings us last but not least, zoom lenses also raise the stakes.

Aberration is quite easy to correct in post, though... especially if shooting RAW, and even more if you have your lens profile loaded, since the it becomes a matter of just "realigning" channels the proper way, in the proper spots.
I did the lens correction and CA reduction in Adobe, what you're seeing is after that! Crazy right?

It looks like LCA (longitudinal chromatic aberration). You can think of it as bokeh fringing. If you take the same picture at f8, the purple fringe should almost disappear
I wish I had a tripod at the time, I would have used f8 and a longer exposure for sure.

Forgive me being a pedant, but it’s due to light being refracted (not diffracted) = “bent” differently for different wavelengths.

If you have ever seen a rainbow caused by a triangular prism (or the cover of Dark Side of the Moon) then you have seen the cause of chromatic aberration from refraction.

Diffraction is when light passing through a narrow opening spreads out - it causes blurriness when you use tiny apertures - you’ll hear talk of a high megapixel sensor being “diffraction limited“ at a particular aperture, meaning that closing the aperture further does not increase sharpness.

Infraction is breaking rules, such as the rule against going on and on in incredibly boring detail about a subject no one cares about… (oops)

Chromatic aberration can be corrected in a lens by using elements made from unusual glass or crystals - it is the main reason you will see lens makers boast about using elements made from various kinds of special materials. Fluorite was a famous example used in expensive telephoto lenses.

Forgive me being a pedant, but it’s due to light being refracted (not diffracted) = “bent” differently for different wavelengths.

If you have ever seen a rainbow caused by a triangular prism (or the cover of Dark Side of the Moon) then you have seen the cause of chromatic aberration from refraction.

Diffraction is when light passing through a narrow opening spreads out - it causes blurriness when you use tiny apertures - you’ll hear talk of a high megapixel sensor being “diffraction limited“ at a particular aperture, meaning that closing the aperture further does not increase sharpness.

Infraction is breaking rules, such as the rule against going on and on in incredibly boring detail about a subject no one cares about… (oops)

Chromatic aberration can be corrected in a lens by using elements made from unusual glass or crystals - it is the main reason you will see lens makers boast about using elements made from various kinds of special materials. Fluorite was a famous example used in expensive telephoto lenses.
Yeap, meant refraction. Got my brains a lil mixed up in translation I guess. You being a pedant is forgiven.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back