Sony A7R IV Sony 20-70mm f2.8 GM or Sigma 20-70mm f2.8 DG DN Art

awdbugga

Followers
Following
Name
John Hearn
I'm making a switch from Nikon APS-C to Sony full frame and am about to buy the Sony A7RivA. I have the budget for the Sony 24-70mm 2.8 GM, but have seen a number of reviews that say the Sigma is sharper than the GM; which is a major consideration when the 61mp will highlight every flaw in a lens. My main concern is image quality and autofocus. I'm not too bothered about how heavy the lens is. If you had the choice, budget was not an issue, but the ability of the lens to match and maximise the 61mp of the camera; which of the two lenses would you pick?

This may not be the reply you are after, but if your spending that amount on a Lens, would it not be worth breaking out to Primes only if weight isn’t an issue… it will be sharper and probably more direct to what you are after.

if you are after one lens to cover that range, try looking at DXO scores for those two lenses to give you an idea of the quality.

Whatever you decide, I wish you find the right lens and I envy your budget!

This may not be the reply you are after, but if your spending that amount on a Lens, would it not be worth breaking out to Primes only if weight isn’t an issue… it will be sharper and probably more direct to what you are after.

if you are after one lens to cover that range, try looking at DXO scores for those two lenses to give you an idea of the quality.

Whatever you decide, I wish you find the right lens and I envy your budget!
I'm lazy basically. I prefer Zooms than having to swap lenses. I have already bought the Sony 70-200mm 2.8 GM lens. They are becoming very hard to get at the moment, so snapped one up; even before I've bought the camera. I will also be buying the Sony 90mm 2.8 G macro G. I think with those three lenses I'll have my needs pretty much covered. It's just a case of whether I go for Sony or Sigma when it comes to the 24-70mm.

Last edited:
I'm lazy basically. I prefer Zooms than having to swap lenses. I have already bought the Sony 70-200mm 2.8 GM lens. They are becoming very hard to get at the moment, so snapped one up; even before I've bought the camera. I will also be buying the Sony 90mm 2.8 G macro G. I think with those three lenses I'll have my needs pretty much covered. It's just a case of whether I go for Sony or Sigma when it comes to the 20-70mm.
Auto Focus may be key here.

Back