Sony A7 IV Sony A7 IV- Camera Error -Turn Power Off then On

Matrix78

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ray Sanchez
I purchased my Sony A7IV directly from Sony just over 30 days ago. I used the camera twice when I attempted to shoot a football game, and after a few shots, I would receive an error message saying to power off the camera. It sounded like the shutter got stuck. I contacted Sony, and they provided me with a pre-paid shipping label to send it back to them for inspection. After I sent the camera off, I found out they sent it to Precision Camera in Connecticut for repair. Has anyone dealt with this camera error message?

fda7688a80b3468988200584d01a8acb.jpg
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 800

I purchased my Sony A7IV directly from Sony just over 30 days ago. I used the camera twice when I attempted to shoot a football game, and after a few shots, I would receive an error message saying to power off the camera. It sounded like the shutter got stuck. I contacted Sony, and they provided me with a pre-paid shipping label to send it back to them for inspection. After I sent the camera off, I found out they sent it to Precision Camera in Connecticut for repair. Has anyone dealt with this camera error message?

View attachment 46343
I’ve certainly never had a prompt to do that. It’s a serious error I think.

When I am on a walk, I do switch mine off and back on again when I need it, to get a bit more battery life.

View attachment 46343
Hi Ray, sorry to hear of your problem. I've been using the A7iv for just over a year, I got it almost as soon as it came out. I've never had that problem. I'm like Gaz, when ever I'm not shooting I power off the camera, mainly to save battery, but also for the shutter to close down. If they are repairing it after less than a month, I think I would be asking for a replacement camera, not a repair. Sorry can't be of more assistance, let us know what happens.

Hi Ray, sorry to hear of your problem. I've been using the A7iv for just over a year, I got it almost as soon as it came out. I've never had that problem. I'm like Gaz, when ever I'm not shooting I power off the camera, mainly to save battery, but also for the shutter to close down. If they are repairing it after less than a month, I think I would be asking for a replacement camera, not a repair. Sorry can't be of more assistance, let us know what happens.
Ed, you may want to rethink that shutter closing on power down. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world until I learned of the possible consequences. I have disabled mine and won't use it.

View attachment 46343
Have you tried a factory reset?

Ed, you may want to rethink that shutter closing on power down. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world until I learned of the possible consequences. I have disabled mine and won't use it.
Tim, thanks for the advice. What are the problems with the shutter closing on power down, I wasn't aware of potential problems.

The shutter is very fragile. If you leave it closed with lens inadvertently pointed toward the sun, it can burn a hole through the shutter.

The only real reason is to protect the sensor from dust, but I figure if dust settles on the shutter it’s going to dislodge anyway as soon as the shutter is activated. 🤷‍♂️ Given that, why bother?

Another issue could be damage if something happens when changing lenses with the shutter closed. The sensor is actually tougher than the shutter.

The shutter is very fragile. If you leave it closed with lens inadvertently pointed toward the sun, it can burn a hole through the shutter.

The only real reason is to protect the sensor from dust, but I figure if dust settles on the shutter it’s going to dislodge anyway as soon as the shutter is activated. 🤷‍♂️ Given that, why bother?

Another issue could be damage if something happens when changing lenses with the shutter closed. The sensor is actually tougher than the shutter.
I appreciate the challenge, though I’ve definitely had less trouble with dust on the sensor since using the close feature. Or, maybe it’s just because I can’t spit all over the sensor anymore, when blowing away the dust? 😂

I appreciate the challenge, though I’ve definitely had less trouble with dust on the sensor since using the close feature. Or, maybe it’s just because I can’t spit all over the sensor anymore, when blowing away the dust? 😂
Each to his own. A little care changing lenses will eliminate 99% of dust and crap. I clean my sensors once a year as a matter of course and don't have any issues in one of the filthiest shooting environments you could imagine. Unburned fuel, burning rubber, track glue, dust and who knows what else. A little care is safer than paying hundreds for a new shutter.

Back