Sony Creative Look

Mario

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mario
Greetings all,

When I bought Alpha R7 V I bought CaptureOne Pro 23 with it.
I am trying to find metadata for Sony's Creative Look within CaptureOne Pro but so far no luck.

When I am taking photos I like to change Creative Look for example from VV2 to ST etc but when I import photos (RAW) into CaptureOne Pro I can't find Creative Look value anywhere.
I was told that Adobe's Bridge has Scene Capture Type for RAW files but that is always set to Standard regardless.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Best regards
-Mario

Hi Mario,

The Creative Look settings do not affect the RAW files. If you shoot both Raw and JPEG or HIEF the Creative Look will be used when processing the JPEG or HIEF files in the camera. When you only shoot RAW my understanding is that the camera prepares a JPEG file to allow you to view the file in camera. The mini file has the Creative look applied.

If you wish to apply the Sony Creative look to a RAW file. Import to your computer. Open with Sony EDIT. You can then select and apply the Creative look to your file. If you then wish to retain that look within the file you can save/output the file as a TIFF for further manipulation/development in Capture One. If you don't want to develop it further you can output the file as a JPEG.

Saving in TIFF will unfortunately will result in many large files.

I would suggest you set the camera to save in both RAW and JPEG. Import both formats into capture one and use the JPEG as guide to what you might look to achieve with Capture One processing the RAW file.

Capture One is outstanding software, I'd bet that once you get used to Capture One you will be less and less bothered about importing the JPEG files.

It is worthwhile checking out Capture Ones You Tube channel.

Hope that helps.

Angus.

Hi Mario,

The Creative Look settings do not affect the RAW files. If you shoot both Raw and JPEG or HIEF the Creative Look will be used when processing the JPEG or HIEF files in the camera. When you only shoot RAW my understanding is that the camera prepares a JPEG file to allow you to view the file in camera. The mini file has the Creative look applied.

If you wish to apply the Sony Creative look to a RAW file. Import to your computer. Open with Sony EDIT. You can then select and apply the Creative look to your file. If you then wish to retain that look within the file you can save/output the file as a TIFF for further manipulation/development in Capture One. If you don't want to develop it further you can output the file as a JPEG.

Saving in TIFF will unfortunately will result in many large files.

I would suggest you set the camera to save in both RAW and JPEG. Import both formats into capture one and use the JPEG as guide to what you might look to achieve with Capture One processing the RAW file.

Capture One is outstanding software, I'd bet that once you get used to Capture One you will be less and less bothered about importing the JPEG files.

It is worthwhile checking out Capture Ones You Tube channel.

Hope that helps.

Angus.
Hi Angus,

Thanks very much for your response, much appreciated.

As you have probably guessed already I am fairly new to photography so being a learner I am trying to take photos with various Creative Look settings to see which one gives me the best results, the ones I like the most.
The challenge is knowing which photos was taken with which Creative Look settings and as you said it looks like RAW will not let me have that.
I used to take both RAW and JPEG but I stopped as that involved deleting a fair amount of files to free up the space etc.
It looks like option to take both RAW and JPEG will enable me to see Creative Look applied on JPEG and that is exactly what I am looking for.
Once I get used to it I should be able to tell which Creative Look setting was applied just by looking at RAW images so I will not have to take both RAW and JPEG once I get a little bit of practice.
Even more importantly I will know which Creative Look to apply in advance to get the best result, that is basically the aim of the whole exercise as I don't have that knowledge right now.

Best regards
-Mario

Hi Mario,

No problem. You might find https://www.markgaler.com/ a great learning resource.

You have an amazing camera and excellent software.

Enjoy the journey.

Angus.
True, now I need to learn how to use them :)

Went to Mark Galer's Patreon page, paid one month membership.
It comes with just brilliant Alpha 7R V material, loads to learn that's for sure.
I came across Mark before, he is exceptionally knowledgeable when it comes to Sony cameras.

Right, took loads of RAW + JPEGs today but I still can't get Creative Look metadata even for JPEGs.
Even in Adobe Bridge all JPEGs have Scene Capture Type set to "Standard".
Will keep digging...It is well hidden somewhere but I will find it eventually.

There are command-line options that might reveal all the deep detail, like exiftool.

There's a free utility called a7info that might be worth a look.

If you’re using a Mac, there is a GUI for exiftool.

Hi Mario,

Please do the following - Shoot with both RAW and JPEG, transfer your files to your computer.

Use Capture on to make a new session for your images.
Import the files to the new session in Capture one.

Run Sony Imaging Edge Desktop - Viewer. (SIEV).
Using SIEV select the session folder you have just created in the left hand directory tree area, this will populate the browse area of the viewer.
Select a file from the bottom area, click on the circled information symbol in the menu bar or goto View - Information palette.
This will bring up a new floating window named Image Properties.
You will find the creative style listed within this list of information.
The creative style used when taking the image is displayed. Please see screen shot below (I set the creative style to Deep).
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 13.26.13.jpg

There is no need to use software other than the free Sony software to get this information.

If you wish you can then update the file name in Capture One adding the creative style tag to the file name so you don't need to open the Sony software every time.

Hope that helps.

Angus.

Back