Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
A7 IV is $200 off, A7R V is $400 off.

Very odd that they would discount the two cameras with the exact same sensors as the compact versions just released. I can't understand why. It strikes me they'd want the price difference to maintain the separation between lines. Any ideas?

Could be that the A7s are just at some time point or sale level that triggers some discounting and the group that does that is not the group that does the new products stuff. Classic case of right hand not knowing what the left one is doing or even cares.

Could be that the A7s are just at some time point or sale level that triggers some discounting and the group that does that is not the group that does the new products stuff. Classic case of right hand not knowing what the left one is doing or even cares.
I could buy that theory for the M4, but the RV was just released.

Maybe it's an attempt to sell a bunch of full-sized cameras before the C series are released.

Maybe it's an attempt to sell a bunch of full-sized cameras before the C series are released.
Since these are really just a body difference I don't know why that would matter, not like Sony has many body accessories for either. I think it might be that the sales are just not what they would like.

Could be a marketing experiment to see how the price reduction would stimulate sales volume. Who knows, you might see the same behavior come Black Friday.

Since these are really just a body difference I don't know why that would matter, not like Sony has many body accessories for either. I think it might be that the sales are just not what they would like.

That was my reasoning, too. Most reviews on YouTube are comparing the new cameras with the A7IV and A7RV, so Sony must be trying to tempt those undecided between compactness or a pro model. Whatever you choose, choose Sony Alpha.

That was my reasoning, too.
They're not though. There are feature differences between the different bodies. Dual card slots V single, rear screen, etc.

They're not though. There are feature differences between the different bodies. Dual card slots V single, rear screen, etc.

Dual slots are only an issue for professionals, aren't they? Given you buy a reliable card, most hobbyists won't have to worry about that like, ever.

Dual slots are only an issue for professionals, aren't they? Given you buy a reliable card, most hobbyists won't have to worry about that like, ever.
I think the point is value for the dollar. Unless one is predisposed to the rangefinder form factor, many would look at the feature set and get the more expensive camera for not a lot more money. The difference between the A7cII and A7 IV on sale is only a $100 or so. That's really close.

Back