Tamron 25-50 /2?

No interest. If I want fast - will shoot a GM prime. For flexible - 20-70 F4.

I would buy this lens. I really only shoot primes when forced into it due to low light, other than that I think they're a massive pain in the butt. In my use case, once it gets dark I'm either stuck with a single FL (not much variety in composition) or switching lenses between the 24/35/50/85 on the fly. I'll leave the 135 out of this because it's generally on another camera.

A fast f/2 zoom in this range would allow me to leave three lenses at home, and at that point I'd just do without the 85, it doesn't get a ton of use anyway. The 1/3 stop loss is acceptable, and it's still a full stop better than any of the 2.8 offerings.

Horses for courses, and this horse fits my course!

I am pretty interested in two rumored lenses that we will hopefully see this year. This 25-50/2, and the Sony 24-200/2.8-4.5. It's also nice to see faster zooms coming out. The Tamron and Samyang 35-150/2-2.8 are great lenses. If they'd have made them constant f/2, or even 2.2 I'd already have one, even though they'd be bigger and heavier than what they already are. I would be nice to see more of these fast zooms hit the market over the next few years.

I would buy this lens. I really only shoot primes when forced into it due to low light, other than that I think they're a massive pain in the butt. In my use case, once it gets dark I'm either stuck with a single FL (not much variety in composition) or switching lenses between the 24/35/50/85 on the fly. I'll leave the 135 out of this because it's generally on another camera.

A fast f/2 zoom in this range would allow me to leave three lenses at home, and at that point I'd just do without the 85, it doesn't get a ton of use anyway. The 1/3 stop loss is acceptable, and it's still a full stop better than any of the 2.8 offerings.

Horses for courses, and this horse fits my course!

I am pretty interested in two rumored lenses that we will hopefully see this year. This 25-50/2, and the Sony 24-200/2.8-4.5. It's also nice to see faster zooms coming out. The Tamron and Samyang 35-150/2-2.8 are great lenses. If they'd have made them constant f/2, or even 2.2 I'd already have one, even though they'd be bigger and heavier than what they already are. I would be nice to see more of these fast zooms hit the market over the next few years.
I have the Tamron 35-150 and it is a great lens for events but for my tastes it is too big for use as a casual lens. That range in a constant 2.0 would be way too much.

One of my best shooting pals is a Canon shooter and he has the 28-70 2.0 and it is comically ginormous. I think he is having a little buyers remorse over that one. :)

28-70 is a wide range for constant 2.0. Probably one of the reasons Tamron is keeping the focal range a little narrower.

28-70 is a wide range for constant 2.0. Probably one of the reasons Tamron is keeping the focal range a little narrower.
Makes sense.

2.0 still isn't fast enough for me to warrant the weight. I'd definitely rather shoot the 20-70 at F4 or use a prime.

I have the Tamron 35-150 and it is a great lens for events but for my tastes it is too big for use as a casual lens. That range in a constant 2.0 would be way too much.

One of my best shooting pals is a Canon shooter and he has the 28-70 2.0 and it is comically ginormous. I think he is having a little buyers remorse over that one. :)

Was having a laugh at Jared Polin flogging off the new 24-105mm 2.8 as 'quite small' yesterday... 🥱

Back