The change to Mirrorless

Awol313

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
About 4 years ago I switched to all mirrorless Sony gear from Nikon. I find the Sony gear to be more responsive in shooting sports, a better option when shooting in low light and way easier on my back and neck from a weight stand point!! What made you switch?

The 200 600 :) I received a Christmas bonus and went to our local camera store to look at the Nikon z50 to back up my D7500, and while there the manager that I know well, said have a look at this lens. That was goodbye Nikon for me, I just needed to have it, because that handling is just sublime.

I was a longtime Canon shooter (almost 40 years) and five years ago as I was planning a sabbatical photo project, a close friend of mine Patrick Murphy-Racey (Sony Artisan) suggested I try the a6000. I got one played with it about 15 minutes and was sold. I immediately ordered a second one for my project. Since then, I've owned A7iii, A7Rii, A9, and A9ii. I'm sold on the Sony mirrorless system. If you had told me six or seven years ago I'd be shooting Sony, I would have told you, "what are you smoking?"

I had a used Canon 5D (now called classic) it had over 250k on the shutter when it was sent for a recall. After it returned I was looking for a lighter smaller package. The Sony A7r original was at a good price range. Coupled that with a 35mm and I was in heaven. The little downloabake apps where fun, connecting to a cellphone was also a big draw for me.
I did sell it and switched to a Fuji, and Leica but when 2020 started I needed to rebrand and Start over. Sold some gear and got something I understood how my results would be. Picked up the A7r2. Happy shooting portraits

My first venture into mirrorless was with the Sony NEX 7, and then I had a few RX100s and the wonderful RX10 IV.....about a year and a half ago -- actually, almost two years ago now, come to think of it -- I started thinking about going full-frame and began looking more closely at what was on offer then, both camera bodies and lenses. I started out thinking I'd go with the A7 III, then got more interested in the A7 III, but at that point Nikon was getting ready to release its Z series, and since I had been a Nikon user for many years, I waited to see what they'd release. Well, to make a long story short, they disappointed me by not offering the kinds of lenses in which I was most interested and worse, no indication of when those lenses might be available. I didn't have the time or the patience to wait. As I was going back to explore more about the Sony A7R III I read that the A7R IV was about to be released.....so I waited some more, to see what that was all about.

Finally, everything came together for me and I knew it was time to make the Big Switch, and one day I traded in all the Nikon gear and came home with a brand-new A7R IV and three lenses. Since then I've added a few more lenses and I've been so, so happy with my choices! I absolutely love my A7R IV and my lenses!

About 4 years ago I switched to all mirrorless Sony gear from Nikon. I find the Sony gear to be more responsive in shooting sports, a better option when shooting in low light and way easier on my back and neck from a weight stand point!! What made you switch?

I started switching last year from Canon. I wanted lighter equipment mainly after suffering a shoulder rotator cuff injury. I think I got a bit caught up in the hype of the Sony's and didn't really pay attention to the price of the lenses, but I'm happy with the switch. I've sold a few Canon lenses but still have my most expensive / favourite lenses and my 5Diii - don't think I'll sell them because I've looked after them so well that I won't get enough money from selling them now to make the sale worthwhile.

My first venture into mirrorless was with the Sony NEX 7, and then I had a few RX100s and the wonderful RX10 IV.....about a year and a half ago -- actually, almost two years ago now, come to think of it -- I started thinking about going full-frame and began looking more closely at what was on offer then, both camera bodies and lenses. I started out thinking I'd go with the A7 III, then got more interested in the A7 III, but at that point Nikon was getting ready to release its Z series, and since I had been a Nikon user for many years, I waited to see what they'd release. Well, to make a long story short, they disappointed me by not offering the kinds of lenses in which I was most interested and worse, no indication of when those lenses might be available. I didn't have the time or the patience to wait. As I was going back to explore more about the Sony A7R III I read that the A7R IV was about to be released.....so I waited some more, to see what that was all about.

Finally, everything came together for me and I knew it was time to make the Big Switch, and one day I traded in all the Nikon gear and came home with a brand-new A7R IV and three lenses. Since then I've added a few more lenses and I've been so, so happy with my choices! I absolutely love my A7R IV and my lenses!
When you did that trade, where did you do it? I'm toying with the same idea but not sure if I can bear to part with my best Canon stuff.

I was a longtime Canon shooter (almost 40 years) and five years ago as I was planning a sabbatical photo project, a close friend of mine Patrick Murphy-Racey (Sony Artisan) suggested I try the a6000. I got one played with it about 15 minutes and was sold. I immediately ordered a second one for my project. Since then, I've owned A7iii, A7Rii, A9, and A9ii. I'm sold on the Sony mirrorless system. If you had told me six or seven years ago I'd be shooting Sony, I would have told you, "what are you smoking?"

Which of he camera's is your favourite? I've got an A7iii.

When you did that trade, where did you do it? I'm toying with the same idea but not sure if I can bear to part with my best Canon stuff.

I live in a northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC, and so went to a local camera shop here in the area.....they gave me a good, fair deal -- I've dealt with them for years anyway -- and of course I've also spent plenty more since that initial trade-in and purchase! It felt really weird and more than a little sad to be saying goodbye to my Nikon gear, some of which I'd had for many years, but I knew instinctively that the time was right. I also knew that once I had the new gear in my hands that the older gear would continue to just sit, unused, in the camera bags for months and maybe even years, so why not just trade it in, get some credit for it, and also make it available to others who might really enjoy and appreciate having it now?

When I was in the wedding and portrait business using Hasselblad cameras and lenses and started to realize digital wasn't going to be a fad, traded all my gear for Cannon
Good cameras and lenses, but when Sony came out with the Nex 7 i purchased one and was amazed at the quality of my images since then I have used 7 other Sony cameras I now use the A7III and the 200-600G lens at 84 years young am very happy to say i can still hand hold and get great results very happy with this combo, i still think fondly about my days shooting with my Hassy.

I had all Canon ever since I started shooting. After hearing all the hype and doing hours of research, I realized it was the direction I wanted to go, so I sold everything and bought an a7riv with a 24-70 and 135. Absolutely in love!!!

I came from nikon and canon and i have to say sony is by far the easiest to use. Yes canon has better colors but thats about it. I fell in love with sony and i will keep using them.

I came from Minolta and the upgrade to Sony Alpha to Sony E was a very natural transition. The last Nikon I held in my hand was an F2 ;)

I am just waiting to receive my Alpha 7iii. I also own an A mount Alpha 77II and I really enjoyed it, however I would like to upgrade my Astro photo, so I decided to change to full frame after a workshop. Hope this will be a smooth transition. I used to work with manual focus, but expect to use more AF with the A7iii, because it it’s enhanced capaibilities. Let’s see...

Switched over from Canon just recently. Had a 6d mkii that was terrible at focusing. Steep hill to climb in changing over. So far have A7r4 and 200-600. Still have five L series lenses though...

Back