David Daw
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Bury St Edmunds
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi,
I have just tried to load photos from my new to me A7riv's sd card to my pc via a card reader. The card and its reader have previously given me no issues. A message in the Photo App asks me to 'Please update your device's settings to accept media transfer'. I cannot find out how to do what it asks and am at a loss - can anyone please help me?

I am running Windows 11.

does it work in windows File Explorer? I am wondering if its just the software you're using?

Try this:

Skip the App
Create a destination folder for the images
Insert the card, open the DCM folder
"Select All"
Drag and Drop to the new folder.

Not sure it that will help, but it's a lot faster. I stopped using MS photos a few years ago.

I
Try this:

Skip the App
Create a destination folder for the images
Insert the card, open the DCM folder
"Select All"
Drag and Drop to the new folder.

Not sure it that will help, but it's a lot faster. I stopped using MS photos a few years ago.
File Explorer recognises the usb drive, but when I open all the folders they are empty. The camera displays all the photos on the card, but I have tried to connect the camera to the laptop and transfer that way, but that also does not work.

I have just tried using an sd card from another camera and it all works OK, so the issue must be the card itself. Thanks for your suggestions. I shall try to transfer the photos wirelessly to my phone, as there are some good shots that I really want to save.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Hope you get it sorted mate. This is the most archaic part of using a dedicated camera nowadays: file transfer via physical media in this day and age of wireless connectivity (wifi, bluetooth, air drop).

I have just tried using an sd card from another camera and it all works OK, so the issue must be the card itself. Thanks for your suggestions. I shall try to transfer the photos wirelessly to my phone, as there are some good shots that I really want to save.

Thanks for your help, guys.
Watch your settings! Some phones will downgrade the images automatically.

If you have a working SD card, you can transfer the photos from one card to the other in the camera. That might help get the images into your P?c.

Hi,
I have just tried to load photos from my new to me A7riv's sd card to my pc via a card reader. The card and its reader have previously given me no issues. A message in the Photo App asks me to 'Please update your device's settings to accept media transfer'. I cannot find out how to do what it asks and am at a loss - can anyone please help me?

I am running Windows 11.
I have the same problem, I have tried to transfer photos two laptops one win 10 1 win 11 using two card readers and the card slot on the 10, nothing works lightroom shows ' no pictures ' yet the camera replay allows viewing, they have also loaded to the cloud in creators app.
They will not load to microsoft photos, inhave formated both SanDisk cards twice [ 32gb extreme pro] and then shot test shots, still the same problem.
Spent hours online with no result.
Beginning to think the camera has a fault.
Any ideas will be very.

I have the same problem, I have tried to transfer photos two laptops one win 10 1 win 11 using two card readers and the card slot on the 10, nothing works lightroom shows ' no pictures ' yet the camera replay allows viewing, they have also loaded to the cloud in creators app.
They will not load to microsoft photos, inhave formated both SanDisk cards twice [ 32gb extreme pro] and then shot test shots, still the same problem.
Spent hours online with no result.
Beginning to think the camera has a fault.
Any ideas will be very.

If you can see the photos on the camera, the camera is not at fault.

The layout of the card is a standard, and it was defined many years ago. I have transferred images from card to PC using many versions of Windows, and it's not a complex process.

If you look at the card using File Explorer there should be a directory called DCIM. If there are photos on the card (and you know there are), then they must be in DCIM. Inside the DCIM folder there will be one or more folders with names that are 8 characters long. The format of the names varies with your settings, but these are the folders holding your photos. Open one of them, and you should see image files. They will have names that end with a four digit number, and a file type of JPG or ARW.

The JPG files should be displayable on your PC without problems.

The ARW files must be processed, and it's possible that the Photos app won't understand them.

If you have your camera set to shoot RAW files, and the Photos app doesn't understand ARW format, that would explain why it's not showing your images.

If File Explorer doesn't show you the contents of a folder inside DCIM, then check if you have it set to show only files of a specific type.

You might try setting the camera to shoot JPEG images - press the Menu button, then choose Camera Settings 1, then File Format, then JPEG.

Take a couple of photos.

Take the card out and check if you can see files in a folder in DCIM. Maybe JPEGs will show up when ARW files didn't?

If you can see the photos on the camera, the camera is not at fault.

The layout of the card is a standard, and it was defined many years ago. I have transferred images from card to PC using many versions of Windows, and it's not a complex process.

If you look at the card using File Explorer there should be a directory called DCIM. If there are photos on the card (and you know there are), then they must be in DCIM. Inside the DCIM folder there will be one or more folders with names that are 8 characters long. The format of the names varies with your settings, but these are the folders holding your photos. Open one of them, and you should see image files. They will have names that end with a four digit number, and a file type of JPG or ARW.

The JPG files should be displayable on your PC without problems.

The ARW files must be processed, and it's possible that the Photos app won't understand them.

If you have your camera set to shoot RAW files, and the Photos app doesn't understand ARW format, that would explain why it's not showing your images.

If File Explorer doesn't show you the contents of a folder inside DCIM, then check if you have it set to show only files of a specific type.

You might try setting the camera to shoot JPEG images - press the Menu button, then choose Camera Settings 1, then File Format, then JPEG.

Take a couple of photos.

Take the card out and check if you can see files in a folder in DCIM. Maybe JPEGs will show up when ARW files didn't?
Many thanks for that the problem is now solved, not quite sure how, but I put the cards into my old a6000 which insisted on creating a new file who's name I cannot remember, then formated the card, I took some quick and rough shots in the garden and the camera and cards played nicely with lightroom , when swapped over to a7iv all worked, I did swap USB cables a couple of times but they all should have worked.
Once again my thanks.

Back