Sony A6000 Using basic adapter on A6000

hmg86

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Harris Goldstein
Looking to use a basic Fotodiox/Fotga/Newer/K&F adapter on my new-to-me A6000. With my PK and M42 lenses.

As I understand, no automation and the camera should be set in aperture priority mode. I'll use focus peaking to help with focus. My main question is, since the lens will be in stop-down mode, how usable will the image in the viewfinder be?

(I've searched to find this, but without luck.)

Also, any recommendations on the above brands? Doesn't seem to be a lot to these adapters.

Thanks.

Not sure I understand? Any lens with a manual aperture ring will let you change the stop. I use these in Manual mode. Adjust the shutter speed via the camera and the aperture with the lens. I don't see any reason to shoot in Aperture priority, just us it in M. You'll be able to see as well as the aperture lets you.

I have several Fotodiox and Fotasy adapters for M-4/3. PK, MD, Pentax 110, M-42, and A-Mount. I also have an A-Mount for Sony E.

In the case of the A-Mount adapters there's a non-graduated aperture ring that allows you to change the aperture. See the third paragraph in this post for my method:

https://www.alphashooters.com/community/threads/maxxum-a-mount-on-a7-iv.3678/

I don't think there's much difference in quality if you stay in the same price point. A $20 adapter is going to be a $20 adapter. I've always purchased the cheap ones, but then I use them as a novelty, so not often. I do look for one with metal mounts.

It's not a question of whether I can stop down the lens, it's how useful the EVF will be when the lens is stopped down.

Make sure your camera is in live view so that you can continue to see exactly what the camera sees.
As for brands, I try to use K&F if possible. However, if I see that I'm using a manual adapted lens quite a bit then I spend the extra dollars for a higher quality adapter.

Make sure your camera is in live view so that you can continue to see exactly what the camera sees.
As for brands, I try to use K&F if possible. However, if I see that I'm using a manual adapted lens quite a bit then I spend the extra dollars for a higher quality adapter.

I would like to continue to use the EVF for focus and composition. My concern is whether it would be too dim when the lens is stopped down. Or does the camera compensate for that?

I would like to continue to use the EVF for focus and composition. My concern is whether it would be too dim when the lens is stopped down. Or does the camera compensate for that?

A mirrorless camera system does not have to compensate for this.
A dim screen is a result experienced with SLR designed cameras - less light coming through, and the optical viewfinder will be dimmer.
This is not a concern with EVF - there is no mirror system to deal with the light.
If you experience a dim EVF in a mirrorless system then it is not from a stopped down lens, it will be from how the EVF is configured or a low exposure setting.

A mirrorless camera system does not have to compensate for this.
A dim screen is a result experienced with SLR designed cameras - less light coming through, and the optical viewfinder will be dimmer.
This is not a concern with EVF - there is no mirror system to deal with the light.
If you experience a dim EVF in a mirrorless system then it is not from a stopped down lens, it will be from how the EVF is configured or a low exposure setting.
Thanks

I was experimenting with something similar yesterday: Using an Urth branded converter to use an old Minolta A lens on my a6400.
  • The converter itself has a ring to manually control aperture (I just left it wide open for the purpose of the experiment).
  • I left the camera in Manual. However, since it was almost sunset it was getting dim in my house, I left the ISO on Auto with minimum value of 100 and upper limit of 4000.
  • The focusing was manual due to the nature of the lens and converter. This was a bit hard for me because I was attempting to take pics of my cats and they were less than cooperative. Also, you know how you normally get a magnified view when you use focus peaking? I didn't get that in this scenario: just the focus peaking.
It made for a fun experiment, but better suited to cooperative subjects or still life composition.
Regarding your original question, with everything in manual, and a low ISO selected, the EVF and screen dimmed accordingly as I stopped down. In my use case, that didn't stop me from using the manual lens and converter effectively on my camera.

Back