Followers
Following
Name
Loke
Country
Norway
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'll put this in beginner questions, because i still feel like im a beginner in the photographic world :D

When taking photos, do you use the viewfinder or the lcd? Or maybe a mix between them both? I started taking pictures on mirrorless, under a year ago, and i only use the LCD, but i see many people using the viewfinder. Is the viewfinder an old relic and use of it old habits from mirrorless? I can imagine one can get more stability putting the cam on the face and closer to the body, but other than that is there any benefits on todays cameras?

🤔

Solution
Viewfinder 99.5% of the time. Screen if I'm holding the camera over my head or down low. I shoot a lot in bright sunlight and refuse to fight with it, plus I don't see how anyone could pan and track a fast object accurately while holding the camera steady without an anchor point. I suppose like anything else the right amount of practice would get results.

Most people don't consider use-case for others, they typically think about their own experiences. That's normal human nature, but there are a lot of different scenarios where one may be better than the other. Both have value depending on the need.
Viewfinder 99.5% of the time. Screen if I'm holding the camera over my head or down low. I shoot a lot in bright sunlight and refuse to fight with it, plus I don't see how anyone could pan and track a fast object accurately while holding the camera steady without an anchor point. I suppose like anything else the right amount of practice would get results.

Most people don't consider use-case for others, they typically think about their own experiences. That's normal human nature, but there are a lot of different scenarios where one may be better than the other. Both have value depending on the need.

Solution
Mostly use the view finder for several reason but the LCD is useful at times.
Benefits of the EVF:
- It is much easier to track faster moving object when using the EVF since you are leading the movement with your head
- The EVF has sharper image quality making it easier to get the critical focus
- The EVF also doesn't suffer from light washout like the LCD does

Based on your answers here, i think i have to give EVF a try. Interesting, i thought more people used the rear screen actually.

I really only use the lcd if the camera is on a tripod. In very bright light I will still use the viewfinder though. Or, like others have said, if the camera is at an awkward angle or height.

I have to use the viewfinder otherwise I have to put on my reading glasses. I also think, I can faster check the composition in the viewfinder than on a LCD screen. I only use the LCD for setups.

Based on your answers here, i think i have to give EVF a try. Interesting, i thought more people used the rear screen actually.
Go take a look at my 'how old are we' thread and the results should be obvious! :ROFLMAO:

Viewfinder 99.5% of the time. Screen if I'm holding the camera over my head or down low.
This is absolutely me. I'm getting very lazy about anything that requires bending the knees. It's hard to crouch down, but much harder to get back up

I shoot a lot in bright sunlight and refuse to fight with it
Accepting your next point, but I don't understand why anyone wants to!

I shoot in weird colour temperatures, and I want to see what I'm getting without the ambient temperature of the light where I am affecting it

Most people don't consider use-case for others, they typically think about their own experiences.
Oh so true. But I still can't understand why anyone would want to struggle with holding a camera out in front of them and keeping it still. Is it phones that created the trend? Maybe, but I was seeing it before decent phone cameras were a thing, and while point&shoots were still a thing.

I have to use the viewfinder otherwise I have to put on my reading glasses.
And this is absolutely me too. Mind you, I wear bifocals, slipping the eyecup up under my specs, so why don't I just use the LCD anyway? Because... above.

I don't recall ever owning a camera without a viewfinder. I don't recall ever wanting one.

EVF for me all the way! The only time I use the LCD screen is, as mentioned by someone above, is when I'm doing something with menu settings.

Video: LCD always
Photos: EVF... unless holding low or awkward angle, then the articulated screen (and not just the tilt up style from the a6000) is really useful. I find that taking pictures of my daughter running around, at her eye level, involves me holding the camera low and tilting the screen up so I can see what the camera sees.

Odd tangent: I also like to review my photos using the EVF, more so than the LCD, but that could be just because the LCD on Sony's APSCs are pretty low resolution.

Video: LCD always
Photos: EVF... unless holding low or awkward angle, then the articulated screen (and not just the tilt up style from the a6000) is really useful. I find that taking pictures of my daughter running around, at her eye level, involves me holding the camera low and tilting the screen up so I can see what the camera sees.

Odd tangent: I also like to review my photos using the EVF, more so than the LCD, but that could be just because the LCD on Sony's APSCs are pretty low resolution.
I use the evf for reviewing images. Like others, I'm short sighted and the evf is adjusted to correct for my right eye, so there's no need for my glasses. Also, the whole image is viewable without the eye having to wander around, subtle faults are much more obvious like this than when using the lcd. Then, there is no extraneous light hitting the evf so incorrect exposure is much more easier to spot.

I use the viewfinder because:
  • It’s more stable when operating without other support
  • it cannot be washed out by sunlight
  • it’s much higher resolution (9 million dot vs 2)
I use the rear screen only when getting shots above my head or waist-level or lower. or when using a tripod and cable release.

Using the LCD would be weird :)

You have convinced me to try the EVF more :LOL:
The biggest upside of the EVF for me, is seeing real time changes as you adjust settings. It makes it easier to get exposure as close to right as possible

The biggest upside of the EVF for me, is seeing real time changes as you adjust settings. It makes it easier to get exposure as close to right as possible
Yeah, and interesting that it took this long for someone to mention it. Live View is a huge advantage to the EVF.

EVF 99% except for weird angles. I used a number of point and shoot cameras which just had a LCD screen and no viewfinder, I found them challenging at times to use in daylight, with my Ricoh GR I used an optical viewfinder accessory mounted in the hot shoe,

This happens with the LCD as well. It can just be more difficult to notice depending on the light. This is a clear advantage over an OVF but those are becoming rare.

This happens with the LCD as well. It can just be more difficult to notice depending on the light. This is a clear advantage over an OVF but those are becoming rare.
Yes I am aware, but taking glare into account and also looking a bit of a Muppet using the rear screen for focussing I will stick to the EVF 😆

Mostly EVF, unless I'm on my knees or my belly. Considering how long it takes me to get down, it doesn't happen very often.
I have no problem getting down; it's getting back up that's the struggle.

For me, it's EVF 100%! I use the LCD when setting up or changing menu settings, when formatting the CFE cards, and occasionally for reviewing images while still out at the scene. I don't shoot video so that's never been an issue one way or the other.

Back