Followers
Following
Name
Loke
Country
Norway
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'll put this in beginner questions, because i still feel like im a beginner in the photographic world :D

When taking photos, do you use the viewfinder or the lcd? Or maybe a mix between them both? I started taking pictures on mirrorless, under a year ago, and i only use the LCD, but i see many people using the viewfinder. Is the viewfinder an old relic and use of it old habits from mirrorless? I can imagine one can get more stability putting the cam on the face and closer to the body, but other than that is there any benefits on todays cameras?

🤔

Solution
Viewfinder 99.5% of the time. Screen if I'm holding the camera over my head or down low. I shoot a lot in bright sunlight and refuse to fight with it, plus I don't see how anyone could pan and track a fast object accurately while holding the camera steady without an anchor point. I suppose like anything else the right amount of practice would get results.

Most people don't consider use-case for others, they typically think about their own experiences. That's normal human nature, but there are a lot of different scenarios where one may be better than the other. Both have value depending on the need.
I virtually never use the LCD for photos or video when hand held. I do use it when mounted on a tripod depending how bright the light is and if I can actually see it. Virtually all the video I do at the moment is on a tripod and I tend to use a mix of both. I am shooting in log so that makes it even harder to see in bright light on the LCD. I think where the LCD comes into it's own is in low light (sunsets or sunrises) and at night when the camera is on a tripod.

I use the rear screen when shooting down low (waist height or lower).

Apart from that, I use the EVF. Like others, I even review images in the EVF because the EVF is 9Mdot, while the rear screen is 2Mdot, plus the EVF doesn't get washed out in the sun.

I use the rear screen when shooting down low (waist height or lower).

I'm really, really really an EVF man. But, to be honest, I might use the screen even at chest height!

And I review on the screen. Unless I'm looking for colour temperature, in which case I have to exclude ambient light.

Back