Sony A6000 What AF settings are you using ?

Scottydog236

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Scott
Hi all ! Anyone using the A6000 for portrait or wedding work ? If so what AF mode are you using ? So confused with all available settings.
Thanks

Not a pro and not shooting weddings but when shooting portraits on my a6000 I used AF-S with small flexible spot wide as focus area. I turn smile/face detect on an I have eye AF assigned to AEL button.

Editted to correct my mistake. I should not have gone off my fading memory.

Last edited:
Agree on the AF-S, though I use Wide focus area most often. Always have eye AF on as well.

Not a pro and not shooting weddings but when shooting portraits on my a6000 I used AF-S with small flexible spot as focus area. I turn smile/face detect on an I have eye AF assigned to AEL button.
Thanks for the reply ! I was under the impression that the hybrid focus only worked in AF-C mode I could well be wrong !

I don't often do weddings but find the AF settings confusing for technical / architectural work. The wide setting has a mind of its own and you never know what it will choose to focus on. I generally use spot now, and manual where the subject is not in the centre of the viewfinder.

Thanks for the reply ! I was under the impression that the hybrid focus only worked in AF-C mode I could well be wrong !
On Sony E mount lenses it works in AF-S as long as they aren't on old original firmware.

Agree on the AF-S, though I use Wide focus area most often. Always have eye AF on as well.
Question, how does it look when looking through the viewfinder?

I use a a6300 and have set Eye-AF to the center button of the wheel on the back. I point at someone's head, press the Eye-AF button, then real quick and short a small green block appears on an eye and changes back to a big square around the head.

Is this normal? When I look at some youtube videos it always looks like the square stays little and stays on the eye, where in my camera it only appears very briefly...

It happens when I pair the A6300 with the 18-105 F4 and with 100-400 GM.

Any thoughts?

Not a pro and not shooting weddings but when shooting portraits on my a6000 I used AF-S with small flexible spot as focus area. I turn smile/face detect on an I have eye AF assigned to AEL button.
How does the Eye-AF works/looks like at your end?

Thanks!

How does the Eye-AF works/looks like at your end?
Sorry mate, I made a mistake, I use AF-S with wide focus area, I think Eye-AF ONLY works in this combination on a6000. I've been on the a7m3 for a while and confused myself. I just pulled the a6000 out of the cupboard and checked.

I get the face detect square and the small eye AF square when focusing in that AF-S/Wide setup on the a6000.

FowlersFreeTime is spot on with AFS and wide.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I made a mistake, I use AF-S with wide focus area, I think Eye-AF ONLY works in this combination on a6000. I've been on the a7m3 for a while and confused myself. I just pulled the a6000 out of the cupboard and checked.

I get the face detect square and the small eye AF square when focusing in that AF-S/Wide setup on the a6000.

FowlersFreeTime is spot on with AFS and wide.
No worries, thanks for your reply and making the effort to check!

I just did a check with the same settings and the face detect square appears, changes to a small green square on the eye, and changes back to big square again (when pressing my custom Eye-AF key once, and also when holding the custom Eye-AF key).

Now, when I change to AF-C mode, the green square stays on the eye when holding the custom Eye-AF button.

Thanks again!!

For those who use spot focus, can you help me understand why? Wouldn't it be faster to use center focus and reframe vs using the control pad on the back of the camera to move your spot around?

Back