What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I have a lot of old film to scan. I bought a refurbished Nikon LS 9000 film scanner a couple of months ago. Just arrived this week - a Kaiser slimlite plano 2454 LED light box. A very nice piece of kit, if a little expensive.

Also a Lowepro Slingshot SL250AWIII.

Not a camera or a lens here, but I have ordered a copy of Tom Ang's Photography: The Definitive Visual History. I have a few books already on the history of photography, but it has been a while since I've bought a book which brings things into the current era, and this one does: (moving into the year 2000 and a few years beyond.) The publication date of the book is 2014 so of course it is still not totally current ).

I had been in the online catalog of our local public library looking for something else, noticed this title and just on a whim requested a copy to be held for me. It arrived a couple of days ago and today I went to the library to pick it and a couple of other (non-photography-related) books up.

It's a hefty tome, printed on good paper, which does justice to the many classic photographs displayed on its pages. I spent some time happily browsing through it, and then realized that this actually was a book I wanted to own, so immediately hopped into Amazon and was quite happy to be able to order a copy, which is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

We have certainly moved beyond the days when photographers were dealing with 8x10 plates and wood-framed camera bodies on wooden tripods, but nonetheless there is still much to be learned from our predecessors and the wonderful images they have shot through the years since those early beginnings. They've presented us with unique views of the world, people, situations and objects around them with various cameras and lenses.....

We, with our fancy, sophisticated DSLRs and mirrorless, not to mention smart phones and drones, still can learn a lot from those men and women who many, many years ago took some remarkable, lasting images with the gear that they had available to them during their own lifetimes.

When it was originally announced I had hoped it would at least be in the A9 league. Turns out not to be the case.

For me this isn't a Sony replacement thing - it's the final impetus to sell off more of my Fuji kit. It seems the OM-1 is still outperforming the X-HS2 and the 100-400 Oly lens gives me more reach than same FL on the Fuji.

My hope is it'll be more than "good enough" and best case the nerd in me will love the computational stuff the OM brings to the party.
It was the release of the 90 macro that convinced me to switch out all my Fujifilm gear for m43 gear. I don't regret it.
Having a 2:1 macro lens on a stacked sensor camera for handheld focus bracketing AND focus stacking is a dream come true for me.
I cannot explain it, but I don't see how either system should be considered a replacement for the other. I like the different benefits I get from having both systems.

It was the release of the 90 macro that convinced me to switch out all my Fujifilm gear for m43 gear. I don't regret it.
Having a 2:1 macro lens on a stacked sensor camera for handheld focus bracketing AND focus stacking is a dream come true for me.
I cannot explain it, but I don't see how either system should be considered a replacement for the other. I like the different benefits I get from having both systems.
I'm anxious to explore the differences!

I caved and paid for the upgrade to the latest version of Capture One.

I had promised myself when I had upgraded to the previous version that I would not fall for the marketing of a newer version when it came along. That the version I had was more than capable enough, and that I should not upgrade for a few years and get my monies worth out of it.

I have just remade same promise! :ROFLMAO: @ self!

Just purchased the Mindshift Firstlight 20L Backpack off amazon due to a smokin' deal and the fact that the harness system is adjustable. I'm a petite woman, so I felt this was needed for comfort. I got it so I can go hiking with both my 100-400 and 24-70 2.8. I can also throw in my TC and a IR Converted Fuji X-T2 with 16-80 4.0 for an Infrared shot. Plus, some IR,ND, and CPL filters. I can't wait for it to arrive now.

A two-spot battery pouch to put on a bag strap or my belt. I liked the 4-spot a lot, but it was too big for a quick walk application.
Supplies to make a solar filter for the upcoming eclipse.
Pergear 260G Express card.

Something fun. Aluminum lens cap. Hidden compartment for AirTag or SD/CF-A card. Feels great to use. Locks in place line a lens.
Looks/feels way better than a plastic cap. :D

IMG_9217.jpeg
  • iPhone 15 Pro
  • iPhone 15 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.78
  • 1/95 sec
  • ISO 100

Something fun. Aluminum lens cap. Hidden compartment for AirTag or SD/CF-A card. Feels great to use. Locks in place line a lens.
Looks/feels way better than a plastic cap. :D

View attachment 55833

Pretty! Does it interlock with the rear lens cap, too? I always love the camera body cap and the lens rear cap together (very longstanding habit!). I would get frustrated if it doesn’t.

Pretty! Does it interlock with the rear lens cap, too? I always love the camera body cap and the lens rear cap together (very longstanding habit!). I would get frustrated if it doesn’t.
I like it more than I should. :D

Nice to have a solid chunk of aluminum. Thanks for asking - never thought to check.

Unfortunately does not lock to rear lens cap. Nice snug fit but no click.

I guess that makes sense though as there's no release on the cap per se.

I ordered an A7R IVA today. I think this will work well for me beside the A1. I like that I can have the registered setups and memories mirrored across both. Although I like the A7R II I have been using I found the differences in the setup could be a problem at times. I had convinced myself that I should sell the A7R II, now I'm tempted to have it converted to full spectrum for astro.

Elinchrom Three Dual Kit

Oh -- just realized that I didn't post yet that last week I bought the Sony 70-200mm G OSS II Macro. I have the 70-200mm GM OSS II but the one with macro capabilities kept whispering my name after it, too, was released. I particularly love macro and closeup work and with Spring just about here and all kinds of lovely new flowers to shoot, I decided to go ahead with this lens. So far I like it a lot! I already had the 1.4x TC so put it on the new lens immediately and have been enjoying getting to see how well this combo works with my A7R V. My beloved 90mm macro is having a bit of a well-deserved rest while I play with the new toy!

Oh -- just realized that I didn't post yet that last week I bought the Sony 70-200mm G OSS II Macro. I have the 70-200mm GM OSS II but the one with macro capabilities kept whispering my name after it, too, was released. I particularly love macro and closeup work and with Spring just about here and all kinds of lovely new flowers to shoot, I decided to go ahead with this lens. So far I like it a lot! I already had the 1.4x TC so put it on the new lens immediately and have been enjoying getting to see how well this combo works with my A7R V. My beloved 90mm macro is having a bit of a well-deserved rest while I play with the new toy!
I don’t know if it’s any comfort, but I have both the mark II 70-200mm lenses, too. I have been asked a couple of times if I’m going to get rid of one of them (sometimes by someone suggesting they would be a willing recipient…), but I don’t see myself doing so.

Last edited:
Not bought by me, but gifted to me by my wife, a Heipi carbon fibre tripod.
What model is this DaveC Oz? I'd be interested to know what you think of it after you have used it for a while.

It's the three in one travel tripod. I used it for all of my longer exposures this past weekend. Initial impressions are that it is quite well designed and made. It supports my 200-600mm lens much better than the benro mefoto road trip did. I also like that each part of the ball head and quick release has a different action, or shape to its adjuster. Several times I accidentally loosened my camera on the benro. I'll probably do a more in-depth review later, but for now I'm impressed

Ah, ok, I don't need a travel tripod - I bought one of these as a Christmas Present to myself: ULANZI Zero Y Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod

It'll get a bit of a workout when I go down the coast for a few days next week. I'd still be interested how your's goes though...

I don’t know if it’s any comfort, but I gave both the mark II 70-200mm lenses, too. I have been asked a couple of times if I’m going to get rid of one of them (sometimes by someone suggesting they would be a willing recipient…), but I don’t see myself doing so.
Yes, it is a comfort, thank you! I don't think I'll be selling the 70-200mm GM; I'm thinking that I will still want to use that in some situations and pretty much consider the 70-200mm G Macro as primarily a macro lens. I've read that the 70-200mm GM is sharper than the f/4 Macro, and of course it's a bit faster as well. I haven't yet tried actually shooting the same subject with both and comparing the results from the two....

Purchased a Peak Design wrist strap (again) last week to see if I like it more than the micro-clutch. So far, yes.

Yes, it is a comfort, thank you! I don't think I'll be selling the 70-200mm GM; I'm thinking that I will still want to use that in some situations and pretty much consider the 70-200mm G Macro as primarily a macro lens. I've read that the 70-200mm GM is sharper than the f/4 Macro, and of course it's a bit faster as well. I haven't yet tried actually shooting the same subject with both and comparing the results from the two....
Replying to my own post, but wanted to add that after today's experience finally being able to spend some quality time outdoors with the new lens that I am definitely going to keep the 1.4x TC pretty much permanently attached and consider this lens as, well, simply a nice longer zoom Macro lens and use my other 70-200mm GM (without a TC) for everything else.

I had been concerned about sharpness with this new lens, but when I used her today and managed to get to the right focal lengths and such, she was sharp as a razor, even with the TC on there. Nice! This lens is definitely a keeper.....

I bought the SmallRig baseplate for my A6700. I use them on most of my cameras as a lightweight grip extension and a little extra protection for the bottom of the camera. It's arca-swiss compatible as well which is handy at times. There's a hinged door that allows the battery to be removed without taking the plate off. It fits well and there's no movement.

SmallRig-Baseplate-Sony-A6700.jpg
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max
  • 1.6 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/99 sec
  • ISO 250

I bought the SmallRig baseplate for my A6700. I use them on most of my cameras as a lightweight grip extension and a little extra protection for the bottom of the camera. It's arca-swiss compatible as well which is handy at times. There's a hinged door that allows the battery to be removed without taking the plate off. It fits well and there's no movement.

View attachment 57249
Nice, I'm thinking of buying the same.

View attachment 57249

I have the equivalent SmallRig on my A7RV, and it’s permanent. Haven’t felt the need on the A6700, but I suspect I may want it :cool:

An Astrhori 18mm F8 Tilt Shift Lens, E-mount obviously

I had gone out to buy a Samyang 45/1.8.

Turned out that the local shops don't seem to have any.It could have been ordered --- but you know how it is: when you go out to buy a lens, then a lens must be bought. Came home with a Samyang 35/1.8.

Since buying the a7iv, my shortest FF focal length has been 70mm, and that on the heavy Tamron 70-180; 85mm prime. I have been so much missing a standard, and a small, lightweight lens for this camera.

Back