What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Be careful on the rx1r2, all these cameras have a known issue of collecting dust on the sensor which on a fixed lens camera is a big deal I have had 2 with the same issue over time, all that said it is an awesome camera and makes great images
Thanks Gary, appreciate your answer!

To check this, the best way is still for go to f/16 or f/22 and take a photo of a white wall, then check on the computer for any spots, right?

Thanks Gary, appreciate your answer!

To check this, the best way is still for go to f/16 or f/22 and take a photo of a white wall, then check on the computer for any spots, right?
Yes for sure I know Sony pro members get the sensor cleaned for free by Sony, we took the camera to grand canyon and the sensor was clear before that. it seems from info gained speaking to sony dealers the dust somehow enters through the battery bay

Finally bought the 20-70mm f4 lens as a late Christmas treat. Looking forward to use it in my upcoming trip to Porto.

Picked up a used I-Optron Star Tracker Pro yesterday. Now I need some clear skies so that I can play with it enough to be comfortable with setup, and settings for the next time I make a dark sky photography trip.

Yes for sure I know Sony pro members get the sensor cleaned for free by Sony, we took the camera to grand canyon and the sensor was clear before that. it seems from info gained speaking to sony dealers the dust somehow enters through the battery bay

Dust gets onto the sensor in multiple ways.

The most obvious is when changing lenses (well, except on fixed-lens cameras!).

And no lens is air-tight, and elements move around inside the lens when focusing or zooming - and the lens extends or retracts (except for the lenses which stay a fixed length). Air moves in and out of the lens (if it didn't, it would be tough to extend the lens!), and fine dust comes with the air, working its way into the sensor cavity.

Dust is attracted to the sensor once it's in the sensor cavity because the sensor has a static charge.

Added the following for my full spectrum cameras:
Nikon Series E 50 f1.8 - for UV photography - takes the same UV filters that I use for my 35 and 105 primes.
72mm filters
Blue + IR, 590nm, 720nm, and Bandpass (UV IR Cut).

Catching up. Sold the Sigma 100-400 and the A7R III over the last few weeks.

Bought a (used) Peak Design capture clip from the local marketplace last week and it arrived today. Will install it on my backpack tonight and test it out later this week!

Bought a (used) Peak Design capture clip from the local marketplace last week and it arrived today. Will install it on my backpack tonight and test it out later this week!
Been using one on my belt for a couple of years, they work well. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the locking mechanism or you may end up frustrated one day when you're in a hurry. Ask me how I know...

Just sold my Sigma 100-400 f/5.6-6.3 today. Now looking to find a Sony 200-600mm 🫣

(I am once again asking you to not tell my wife)

(I am once again asking you to not tell my wife)
For a few dollars, anything is possible!

I love my 200-600, but I can't live without the shorter FL as well. I had the Sigma, bought the Tamron 50-400 because odd though it may seem that extra 50mm at the short end made a big difference to me. Won't sell either one!

For a few dollars, anything is possible!

I love my 200-600, but I can't live without the shorter FL as well. I had the Sigma, bought the Tamron 50-400 because odd though it may seem that extra 50mm at the short end made a big difference to me. Won't sell either one!
Yeah i would also keep both, i just think its a bit too much money in glass that would rarely been used i guess. I do have the Sony 24-105 G OSS and im considering maybe have a 135mm prime, but for now i will have a gap between 105 and 200mm.

Yeah i would also keep both, i just think its a bit too much money in glass that would rarely been used i guess. I do have the Sony 24-105 G OSS and im considering maybe have a 135mm prime, but for now i will have a gap between 105 and 200mm.
The things is I use the 50-400 a lot, more than any other lens. it can't go anywhere. And even though the 200-600 spends a lot of time setting, it's one of those things that when you want to use it, not having it would be a problem. But you've got it right, if you're only going to have one, the 200-600 is the hands down choice.

The things is I use the 50-400 a lot, more than any other lens. it can't go anywhere. And even though the 200-600 spends a lot of time setting, it's one of those things that when you want to use it, not having it would be a problem. But you've got it right, if you're only going to have one, the 200-600 is the hands down choice.

Soo, i bought the Sony 200-600 today - cant wait to try it :giggle:

A lens creep band for the Tamron 28-200. Zoom creep is so bad on the lens now that it will creep at 45 degree angle.

Today I purchased the Sony 20-70mm f/4 G lens. Last week I added the Sony 70-200mm Macro G lens as well. I'm REALLY done now!

Last edited:
Today I purchased the Sony 20-70mm f/4 G lens. Last week I added the Sony 70-200mm Macro G lens as well. I'm REALLY done now!

I've been using the 20-70 for a couple weeks now and I love it so far. Image quality is great and it's fun to use. There's some vignetting and distorsion on the widest apertures, though, but I haven't suffered that myself as I shoot on jpeg and the camera autocorrects the file.

I've been using the 20-70 for a couple weeks now and I love it so far. Image quality is great and it's fun to use. There's some vignetting and distorsion on the widest apertures, though, but I haven't suffered that myself as I shoot on jpeg and the camera autocorrects the file.
Interesting. I have not seen reports for this. You mentioned you have not seen this, being a JPEG shooter.. How did you become aware of this?

Interesting. I have not seen reports for this. You mentioned you have not seen this, being a JPEG shooter.. How did you become aware of this?

I read like 10 different reviews before buying and some mentioned that. But it is an amazing and versatile lens nonetheless. You will enjoy it for sure!

Inflatable Kayak!
Two sea Eagles and 6 Pelicans on the first test outing. Won't take good cameras on the water until I get a bit more comfortable with it.
Had the little Oly. TG6 in my pocket though!

Eagles r.jpg
  • TG-6
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100
Peli 4 r.jpg
  • TG-6
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

Confession: I gave into temptation!

My A9 III arrived yesterday. Tomorrow is a public holiday, so I’ll be trying it out for three whole days! I have set up modes 1 and 2 on the dial to what I think I want them to be, but I’ll probably be fine-tuning them.

Once again I get to play the “when do I get RAW support for my new camera?” game. Sadly, Capture One no longer offers a free Express version, so if they come out first, have to buy the Pro version. Adobe is rarely first. Maybe DxO?

Yet another camera backpack, I picked up a Manfrotto Pro Light RedBee-210 Reverse Access Backpack for under £50 in like new condition.
This freeing up a Lowepro backpack for my A850, Dynax 7 and a few A mount lenses to suit. I've wanted to have these in a backpack so I can just pick up and go. I still really enjoy shooting with these cameras and lenses.

Hoodman model HEYESW Eye Cup
IMG_20240126_180941s.jpg
  • Mi A1
  • 3.8 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 250

Hoodman eyecup; Sony original eyecup.

IMG_20240126_181142s.jpg
  • Mi A1
  • 3.8 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 640

On the camera.

Day one , with over 200 pictures: not perfect, maybe, but excellent anyway.

Hated the Sony original.

PS: yes, phone pics... but Sony content :)

Last edited:
Back