What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Picked up a couple goodies from Adorama's BF sale. Carbon fiber light stand and a nice foldable laptop stand. Got an upcoming event to shoot and I'm trying to go lightweight with the kit. Will run a compact continuous LED as a fill light for the puppy booth.

The laptop stand will actually be for my band and will be the stand for my mixer.

I have bought 2 cheap as crap batteries as I was thinking this maybe my trouble with my focus.
The daughter asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her money as that can go towards something camera related.

With their additional 10% off for Blaaack Friday, I let keh sell me a bargain α5000 (α5k). Makes more sense than the K-s2 for the backup cam since it uses the same battery as the α7R, same sensor as the K-s2 and more of my lesser-use PK stuff can hit the market for better uses.

I might have found an α5100 instead, but then its pdaf and touch screen would have been less similar to the α7R. I prefer the lesser camera to have fewer advanced features to limit my confuzion on which is really the better camera! The nex-7 probably has a more α7-ish interface - but at $150± the α5k will do just fine. Super light, too!

Last edited:
Must be a coincidence, right?
I received my 135 GM today via FedEx.
I was expecting another granddaughter close to Christmas.
The little girl was born today. 🍻

Must be a coincidence, right?
I received my 135 GM today via FedEx.
I was expecting another granddaughter close to Christmas.
The little girl was born today. 🍻

Congratulations!

Sounds like serendipity - I know who should be your first subject for your new lens!

One of the studios I use is switching their lights from Elinchrom to Godox, so I bought a Godox XPro II (Sony) trigger at the Black Friday sale. So much cheaper than the Skyport trigger!

I’ve read the manual, and it looks like I have some learning to do! I guess it makes sense to specify light intensity from 1 down to 1/256, but I am so accustomed to seeing it in stops rather than fractions.

The ones who actually do need two camera bodies will usually be using the same two.
Is that based on your vast experience? A quick trip around this forum alone shows that to be an incorrect statement.

Is that based on your vast experience? A quick trip around this forum alone shows that to be an incorrect statement.

I've been to three weddings in the last two years. Once a guy was using two A7III's, twice the guys were using matching Canon bodies. These are people who need two camera bodies...

I've been to three weddings in the last two years. Once a guy was using two A7III's, twice the guys were using matching Canon bodies. These are people who need two camera bodies...
Oh, I see. So, you get to qualify who needs two bodies based on weddings you attended? Interesting.

After test-driving the EF-fE adapted option, I'm sending that back & going with the la-EA4. It arrived today, so my Minolta trio plus Tokina 20-35 are operational on the α7R and α5k bodies.. with pdaf! Hopefully some day a true e-mount +oss telezoom will take the job, but these will do nicely for now.

I managed to get a 320GB Lexar Gold CFeA card on the Black Friday / Cyber Monday / whatever sale - cost me a little more than a Sony Tough 160GB, but just more than half the (discounted) price of the Sony Tough 320GB (less than half the list price).

The A1 estimates it will hold 4452 lossless compressed RAW-L. The A7RV says 3695. That is a suitably ridiculous number. I am more likely to fill it on the A1 ;)

I think I heard my NAS whimper when I put the card in the A1…

72mm 590nm and 720nm filter. I grew tired of step-up rings. :p

Early Christmas present here, too: the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II. Methinks this lens and I will have a lot of fun together!

As I describe in another thread I traded in the A7C for this lens, as the A7C and I just weren't compatible.

Last edited:
I did something a little impulsive this week. I sold my A7RV and bought an A7IV. I know that sounds weird, but me and the RV just never got along. As they say in relationships, it wasn't her, it was me. It's a great camera, but it was backup to my A1. And in general, it just didn't fit the bill. I like 33mp of the A7IV, and I think I'll get more general use out of it. I know the AF is a "step back" as are the LCD and EVF resolution, but I think in general it will be a better fit. As they say, they are tools for the job.
First test shot
DSC00010.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Art 019
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 400

I did something a little impulsive this week. I sold my A7RV and bought an A7IV. I know that sounds weird, but me and the RV just never got along. As they say in relationships, it wasn't her, it was me. It's a great camera, but it was backup to my A1. And in general, it just didn't fit the bill. I like 33mp of the A7IV, and I think I'll get more general use out of it. I know the AF is a "step back" as are the LCD and EVF resolution, but I think in general it will be a better fit. As they say, they are tools for the job.
First test shot
View attachment 52524

Nice shot, well framed.

No one can tell you what to do (possible exception of your wife!). If you didn't enjoy the A7RV, then switching to something else is the right move for you. I really like the A7RV, but that's me, not you.

First test shot
View attachment 52524
Nothing wrong with that at all. I've mentioned before I think the A1/A7 IV combo is a better choice than the A1/A7R 'x'. The A7 IV is a low-light beast, offers good resolution and isn't a resource hog. As for the autofocus, it's the same as the A1 minus the stacked sensor speed. In fact, Sony issued firmware to update the A1's autofocus to match the A7 IV shortly after the A7 IV was released. The A7 IV is, to me, the perfect match for just about any other camera in Sony's line or an only-camera. Nice MOR features and resolution, good for any application.

I plan to be kitted the same shortly, just waiting for the hi-volume holiday shipping period to pass before I order the A1.

Even though I have the A7Riii 590nm infrared converted camera. I missed having a full spectrum converted Sony camera, preferably 24 MP with the red focus pointer frame since I like to use a modified Acros film emulation for the display.
Kolari had a used A7C with anti-reflective and anti-smudge full spectrum conversion for $1,500.
So that means I can enjoy having the A7C and the A7Cr for two small full frame cameras in the form factor I like.

So this week, I purchased a Sony A7RV. I did get rid of my A7III, but I kept my A7IV.

I have a question. In the box, there was a small tool. It appears to be a cable-minder but I don't think it goes to the A7RV. Can anyone help? Here it is:

Mystery Tool.jpg

The little "Getting Started" pamphlet which comes with a new camera should have a listing of what is supposed to be included in the box. If the item was supposed to be in the box, then you'll know that and also what its purpose is.

Helps to hold the cable into the camera. I have used it for a tethering cable so that it does not get knocked out too easily from someone walking over the cable.

Helps to hold the cable into the camera. I have used it for a tethering cable so that it does not get knocked out too easily from someone walking over the cable.
You are correct. It's called an HDMI Cable Protector. I could not find any instructions but figured it out this morning. The thread diameter is 1.61mm, or .0640". I overlooked the hole the 1st time I looked because it was so small. Here is the installed part:
Protector-2.jpg
  • SM-S901U
  • Samsung Galaxy S22 Rear Wide Camera
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/120 sec
  • ISO 200

I bought a second hand Peak Design travel tripod (aluminium) at the online marketplace in The Netherlands. It has a few scratches but other than that it still functions as new.

The guy also had a RX1R mark II in great condition with only 5k shutter actuations for sale at an OK price (€2000), he has not sold it for some time so I might get it down a little bit more.

I was keeping an eye on the A7IV but now I might get 2 cameras instead :ROFLMAO:

Any tips from forum users on what to look out for when buying a second hand RX1R mark II?

I bought a second hand Peak Design travel tripod (aluminium) at the online marketplace in The Netherlands. It has a few scratches but other than that it still functions as new.

The guy also had a RX1R mark II in great condition with only 5k shutter actuations for sale at an OK price (€2000), he has not sold it for some time so I might get it down a little bit more.

I was keeping an eye on the A7IV but now I might get 2 cameras instead :ROFLMAO:

Any tips from forum users on what to look out for when buying a second hand RX1R mark II?
Be careful on the rx1r2, all these cameras have a known issue of collecting dust on the sensor which on a fixed lens camera is a big deal I have had 2 with the same issue over time, all that said it is an awesome camera and makes great images

Back