What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Great to see the excitement over the 135 GM. Last Friday, I traded in the 14 and 135 GM for the 70-200 f4 II. My photography has changed drastically enough that I realized rather sadly that I rarely use the 14 and 135 anymore. The 14 is getting replaced with the 12-24 GM. I seem to prefer using zooms in that range over primes.

I agree zooms have a lot of versatility, and my 70-200 F2.8 will still probably get much more use for most of what I want to shoot, it just is a pretty long lens. If I just wanted to walk around shooting street stuff with a long and wide setup it did not fit in my sling bag. Even that 70-200 f4 is a bit long for the very tight fit in my travel setup. If I am in the jeep size matters far less.The funny thing I found out while deciding was the 135, 16-35 and 24-70 are all pretty much the same length. Keeping the 14 now that I have a 16-35 has me on the fence. congrats on that 70-200 f4 that focus closer than my 2.8, it looks like a great lens

Well I am pretty sure I am going to cancel my order for the A7CR, the lack of a joy stick even with the great AI AF, makes me not see any real advantage over just using my RX1RII for what I wanted it for, espically now that I know Sony Pro Services can clean the sensor in a few days. Still on the fence if I sell my Sony GM 100-400, the main reason I keep it is it fits in the travel bag with the other stuff, the 200-600 has to ride in its own bag. But I just keep thinking the GMII F2.8 70-200 and the TC1.4 almost the same and keep the 200-600 for those rare times I need some longer. Rambling thoughts
This is my Thinktank Street walker hard drive v2.0. Currently holding A1 100 - 600, a7c 70 - 200 f2.8 and 70 - 200 f2.8, with a bit of spare room. It satisfies most of the major airlines, but not the budgets. Very well put together and has stood up to a lot of weather since I've had it.

Attachments

• 20231003_071341.jpg
    20231003_071341.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 45
well the 135mm F1.8 GM and 16-35 F2.8 GM II both showed up today, and they are going to be great. Now I can put the A1 with 135 and the RV with 16-35 both with lenses mounted in my sling bag. The 70-200 was just too long, which that set up will go in the retro shoulder bag, so all good. The 100-400 will be sold by the end of the week to someone here or off to the camera store. Now wondering if I still need all three of these primes, the 24mm f1.4 GM, the 20mmF1.8 G and the 14mm F1.8 GM, I love the 24 but in a way I will now have three 24s although the prime is two stops faster and light. The 20 is a nice lens but will i use it now having the zoom and th1 14 is really not that much wider than 16. I guess I will just have to see how much they all geyt used in the coming months. So I tried out both lens in the backyard today, liking them a lot.
View attachment 47841View attachment 47842View attachment 47843View attachment 47844
I love the last image. Any chance of a selfie with you kitted out carrying your gear? I’d like to see how your carry solution works.

a selfie of me sounds like it might frighten small children so I will just post some shots of my bags, first is the bag I wanted my two cameras to place nice in, The Mindshift/ThinkTank Photocross 13 sling bag, I find that sling bags are more useful to me than both shoulder and backpacks. When I first bought this bag I was shooting cameras with smaller lenses,so added extra padding under the lenses. In the bag is the A1 with the 135 and the A7RV with the 16-35, they both comfortably and it just works for me.
The bag open and closed.
Mind shift inside.jpg
  • DSC-RX1RM2
  • Sony RX1R MII
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2000

mindshiftcopy.jpg
  • DSC-RX1RM2
  • Sony RX1R MII
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2000

My larger bag that fits most everything but the 200-600 which is fine, if I did need to pack it into one case I could use one of my Think Tank roller bags. I do not bring out all the time so it is fine in it;s own case. Anyway this bag i like a lot because is so easy to work from and keep stuff out at the same time. It is now discontinued by Mindshift/ThinkTank, designed by some wildlife photographer named Moose Petersen. What makes it great for me is when you lay it flat there are three panels that give you access, whne you unzip them there natural tendency is to close as oppesded to need to close them keep debris as best a s possible,it is very modular and also has places for a small tripod and tie downs if you need that, It also has well hidden backpacking straps. The is most everything I could need in it, the two bodies, the 14,20,24,16-35,24-70 and the 70-200 as well as two chargers, 6 extra batteries, Tc1.4, ND and Pl filters, ext tubes, vertical grip, extra front and rear lens caps, body caps, cables, extra sd cards, remote switch, cleaning stuff, rain cover everything but a flash which after years of using enormous studio strobes I rarely use anymore.
images are of the outside and the inside long lens and the short lens side. Before the 135 and new short zoom the 100-400 also was in one of the spots.
moose.jpg
  • DSC-RX1RM2
  • Sony RX1R MII
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 3200
Inside moose long.jpg
  • DSC-RX1RM2
  • Sony RX1R MII
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2000
Moose inside short.jpg
  • DSC-RX1RM2
  • Sony RX1R MII
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1600

My larger bag that fits most everything but the 200-600 which is fine, if I did need to pack it into one case I could use one of my Think Tank roller bags. I do not bring out all the time so it is fine in it;s own case. Anyway this bag i like a lot because is so easy to work from and keep stuff out at the same time. It is now discontinued by Mindshift/ThinkTank, designed by some wildlife photographer named Moose Petersen. What makes it great for me is when you lay it flat there are three panels that give you access, whne you unzip them there natural tendency is to close as oppesded to need to close them keep debris as best a s possible,it is very modular and also has places for a small tripod and tie downs if you need that, It also has well hidden backpacking straps. The is most everything I could need in it, the two bodies, the 14,20,24,16-35,24-70 and the 70-200 as well as two chargers, 6 extra batteries, Tc1.4, ND and Pl filters, ext tubes, vertical grip, extra front and rear lens caps, body caps, cables, extra sd cards, remote switch, cleaning stuff, rain cover everything but a flash which after years of using enormous studio strobes I rarely use anymore.
images are of the outside and the inside long lens and the short lens side. Before the 135 and new short zoom the 100-400 also was in one of the spots.
View attachment 47880View attachment 47881View attachment 47882
Thanks Bob.

View attachment 47880View attachment 47881View attachment 47882
That's an interesting bag. I did a search and there was evidently a whole line of Moose bags. Can you be more specific in which model/size you have?

That's an interesting bag. I did a search and there was evidently a whole line of Moose bags. Can you be more specific in which model/size you have?
It says it is a MP-3V2, Mindshift/ThinkTank no longer has them on their site and do not know if anybody else took them on, it is super well made so I should be good until who knows

It says it is a MP-3V2, Mindshift/ThinkTank no longer has them on their site and do not know if anybody else took them on, it is super well made so I should be good until who knows
Thanks! Going to keep an eye out for a used one

I want to get involved in lighting, so I bought (3) HVL-F60RM2 flashes plus the commander trigger to use off camera.

Canon Pixma G620 photo printer. 6 color ink, tank style with no cartridges. It came last week, still haven't had time to even unpack it, hopefully in the next few days.

Just family portraits. They are nice, too.
The reason I asked is if you are shooting portraits, you should also add some tools for light modifiers like reflectors, bounce boards, soft boxes, small silks or umbrellas. That would give you lot of options when lighting people. My first lighting setups were with similar kinds of strobes so if you need any help please ask.

Traded in the A7Siii and an Olympus Pen F (digital camera in mint condition) for the A7CR and 40 G.
Will pick it up tomorrow.

I do not think I mentioned that I sold a Leica M4 from my camera collection, as I get older here I think I will begin selling the ones in the collection that were only bought for history, and I have no real connection to0.. Also cleaning out some gear I found an old Nikkor 400mm F3.5 lens I am going to sell.

Got the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 DC DN to use with my new a6700. Let me say, this will be a nice little "compact" walk-around combination. I can't believe how light this little lens is, and very sharp too!

Got the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 DC DN to use with my new a6700. Let me say, this will be a nice little "compact" walk-around combination. I can't believe how light this little lens is, and very sharp too!
The Sigma trio (16,30,56) was on every APSC owner's wishlist, and the new lenses (23, 18-50, 10-18) are doing really well. I am really curious to see if they ever make a 50-?mm zoom to add to the series.

Last week, I bought an a7iv.

Now I suppose I have to buy some [more] Full-Frame lenses. I have Sony 85/1.8, Samyang 135/1.8, Tamron 70-180/2.8. And a few APS-C lenses.

I haven't bought it yet, but I think I will be buying a Lexar Gold 320GB CFeA card - they are on sale at my local dealer for about 25% more than the 160GB Sony G Tough (and that's with the Sony on sale, too! The 320GB CFeA is less than the non-sale price of the Sony 160GB)

The Lexar Gold cards don't feel quite as sturdy as the Sony G Tough, but the 160GB Lexar Gold has worked fine for me)

Still trying to convince myself it's not just a GAS attack :) Still, I filled three 160GB cards this morning (the A1 on Hi is really good at that!)

I haven't bought it yet, but I think I will be buying a Lexar Gold 320GB CFeA card - they are on sale at my local dealer for about 25% more than the 160GB Sony G Tough (and that's with the Sony on sale, too! The 320GB CFeA is less than the non-sale price of the Sony 160GB)

The Lexar Gold cards don't feel quite as sturdy as the Sony G Tough, but the 160GB Lexar Gold has worked fine for me)

Still trying to convince myself it's not just a GAS attack :) Still, I filled three 160GB cards this morning (the A1 on Hi is really good at that!)
I was reviewing the last few nights on the owls yesterday morning. Really pleased with the read speed on the pergear cfas that I recently bought. It was more akin to reading from the internal hard drive than an external card.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I haven't bought it yet, but I think I will be buying a Lexar Gold 320GB CFeA card

Still trying to convince myself it's not just a GAS attack :)

It's GAS.

Still, I filled three 160GB cards this morning

Wait. Three cards in one morning? It's not GAS: buy two more!

I wanted a box for when I'm shooting birds locally which holds the 200-600mm on the camera. I wanted to have the macro and close up gear available in there too. In this situation the car is always pretty close so I just go back to the car if I need to swap a lens out.

Couldn't fit the lens hoods in unfortunately... 🥺

View attachment 49019View attachment 49020

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't bought anything new (in the photography realm) for a while now.....just waiting to see what comes next as offerings from Sony. I know that if the 300mm f/2.8 is announced, that'll be so, so tempting for me.

In the meantime, though, I've rather enjoyed doing a "Lens of the Week" project, where each week I select a different lens and spend some quality time with it over the next seven days, and it's been really a fun way to appreciate the lenses I already have!

Back