Wondering Aloud - Malfunctioning A6500

Cuppa

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Cuppa
My A6500 has accumulated a shutter count of around 51,000 since I bought it new about 4.5 years ago. Now it has malfunctioned, suspected corrosion on the motherboard. Only symptom is - more often than not an error message on the screen telling me it is overheating, generally within a few seconds (sometimes less, sometimes more) of switching it on. It then switches itself off. I now have a replacement camera & am wondering if the malfunctioning body is likely to be of use to anyone? Do folk strip these for parts, build a good'un out of a few deceased ones, or is it just a bin job? I was thinking more in terms of donating it (for cost of postage) rather than hitting up ebay to sell it for parts. I'm in Australia.

No thoughts from anyone. I guess it'll be a bin job then.

I guess the decision to bin or not depends upon the cost of repair over the current camera value in working condition........this tends to be the the normal logic people use to make these decisions.

In your case the camera has a 50K image count which is not high given mechanical shutters usually have a basic 200,000 shutter design life....and more often than not exceed this figure.

I am not familiar with the A6500 so you need to check this at the sony website.

Given the camera has only clocked up 25% of its operational life(if its design is 200,000) in a working condition it still has value.

As regards the cost to repair you can get this from sony themselves or a nearby agent.

You also need to either identify a friend/interested buyer and agree what they will pay for the repaired camera, or alternatively check with any of the local used photography equipment dealers for the same.

Once you have all this info it will tell you whether the additional cost of repair is justified and that you can sell the camera as a repaired unit with a reasonable level of NET return.

The above all said, at 41/2 years old my guess would be the economics may not work out.

Good Luck....hope this helps.

It should at least be recycled.

Have you looked into getting it fixed? The range for used on MPB's US site is $800-900. If it can be fixed for $400-500 it'd make a nice backup camera.

Thanks folks, I have already made the decision not to repair after discussion with an approved Sony repairer. I didn’t get a price, they wanted me to send it to them first. Cost for just looking at it & getting it to them from my remote location was going to be several hundred dollars, with a strong likelihood that a new motherboard would be required. I decided not to go ahead with this, having seen motherboards from a Chinese source advertised at $700 (Aus), and feeling sure that Sony would charge double, with significant labour costs on top of that.

So my question wasn’t about whether I should get it repaired, rather whether there was any interest out there in the camera as a ‘parts’ donor, for nothing more than the cost of postage. Just thought I’d ask before throwing it out, uncertain whether there are folk out there, who like some computer enthusiasts are into rebuilding these cameras themselves.

New in Marketplace

Back