Followers
Following
Name
Bob
Country
United States
City/State
So Cal
Being forced to use these early"professional digital cameras" was the worst shooting experience of my life. To make it even worse they cost upwards of $20,000 at the time, even though I know they were early in the push to didgital, they were horrible. For the record the Nikon version was just as bad. Sometimes it is better to give technology some time to work things out. I keep it around in my camera collection as a reminder that I survived those shoot days.
Kodak DCS .jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 18.7 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 6400

Kodak made a battery grip for Canon?

I thought the EOS-1N was a film camera?

Last edited:
no these were the first of the Kodak digital cameras on based on a Canon body the other on a Nikon body. the delay in writing an image almost felt as long as shooting a 4X5 or 8x10.
"Kodak's subsequent models integrate the digital module with the camera body more thoroughly, and include LCD preview screens and removable batteries. The DCS 500 series of 1998 is also based on the Canon EOS-1N, and comprises the 2-megapixel DCS 520 and the 6-megapixel DCS 560, which initially had a suggested retail price of $28,500.[7] These models were also sold by Canon, as the Canon D2000 and D6000 respectively, and were the first digital SLRs sold under the Canon name. Kodak used the same electronics package for the DCS 600 series, which is based on the Nikon F5. "

The amazing thing about this was, these cameras were the state of the art just 15 years ago, digital has come so far in a very short span of time.

Last edited:
Being forced to use these early"professional digital cameras" was the worst shooting experience of my life. To make it even worse they cost upwards of $20,000 at the time, even though I know they were early in the push to didgital, they were horrible. For the record the Nikon version was just as bad. Sometimes it is better to give technology some time to work things out. I keep it around in my camera collection as a reminder that I survived those shoot days.View attachment 33326
Thanks for the insight. Concerning your technology comment, would you wait for a new and improve Alpha 1 mark ii to come out rather than buying the current model? Thanks

Nikon did the same and it was rubbish as well.
yes just as bad, but my client insisted we try and make them work. They were a waste of time and I just shot film to make sure I had something that would work. In fact the first digital camera that was tolerable for work for me was the Contax 6 X 4.5 with some brand of digital back, still not great but usable

no these were the first of the Kodak digital cameras on based on a Canon body the other on a Nikon body. the delay in writing an image almost felt as long as shooting a 4X5 or 8x10.
"Kodak's subsequent models integrate the digital module with the camera body more thoroughly, and include LCD preview screens and removable batteries. The DCS 500 series of 1998 is also based on the Canon EOS-1N, and comprises the 2-megapixel DCS 520 and the 6-megapixel DCS 560, which initially had a suggested retail price of $28,500.[7] These models were also sold by Canon, as the Canon D2000 and D6000 respectively, and were the first digital SLRs sold under the Canon name. Kodak used the same electronics package for the DCS 600 series, which is based on the Nikon F5. "

The amazing thing about this was, these cameras were the state of the art just 15 years ago, digital has come so far in a very short span of time.

ℹ️

Informative! So did the camera's film back get replaced with a digital? I was out of it for this period. I had moved to video tape and was buried in that. My first digital was a Kodak 1MP easy share of some kind. It took so long to release the shutter you had to plan ahead. Then forget another photo until it finished writing, which seemed like an eternity.

But was it really the worst camera you ever used? :D

il_fullxfull.694584748_r02u.jpg

Last edited:
ℹ️

Informative! So did the camera's film back get replaced with a digital?

But was it really the worst camera you ever used? :D
Yes with the Contax I had both film and digital backs.
For work the DCS was the worst but when it came to P&S cameras there is a small list

since you posted a 110 here are a few from my collection, including Minoltas. None very good but they all had some cool inovations and were some of the top 110s of their day.
Canon 110.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 15.9 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 1250
Minolta 110zoom .jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 15.9 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 2500
Minolta under.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 18.7 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1000
Pentax 110 super.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 15.9 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 2500
Pentax Auto 110.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 15.9 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 2000
Minox 110.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 8.8 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 1600
Rollei 110A.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 15.9 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 2000
Rollei 110E.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 15.9 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 1000

I've got a Pentax Auto 110 with the winder, flash, and 3 lenses. I have a Minolta 110, but can't find a battery for it anymore. It tool a little pack with two watch batteries. Also a few others. Was heavily into Argus for a while since they were manufactured right in my backyard.

Brownies and a few Kodaks by telecast, on Flickr

Argoflexes and A's by telecast, on Flickr

I think I have almost all of the Pentax 110 lenses, Funny what we collect, while I have a lot of different cameras in the collection, I seem to be drawn to miniatures like Minox and an assortment of 16mm cameras, old roll film cameras and Leica and Nikon 35mm rangefinders, but the number one of any brand beside my Nikons are my Robots, the first real motorized cameras
Robot Jrsm.jpg
  • X-Pro1
  • XF35mmF1.4 R
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 10/1200 sec
  • ISO 1600
Robot Royal 24 sm.jpg
  • X-Pro1
  • XF35mmF1.4 R
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 10/2500 sec
  • ISO 1600

I was looking for the 110 20-40 zoom for a while but kind of lost interest. I have the 18, 24, and 50. Had a good line on a 70 one time but the owner decided to keep it. He had the Auto 110 Super, and while he didn't use it anymore, he decided to keep the set together.

I had gotten into Brownies early on, a Baby Brownie Special was the first camera I used when I was about 8 or 9. I've had a lot of fun with the Hawkeye shooting 120. I've also used 120 in several of my Argus since 620 is all but impossible to find and when you do it's expensive. You can trim the ring off the plastic spool with nail clippers and the 120 feeds just fine, provided you have a metal take-up spool. I've been lucky in that every camera I've bought so far has had a spool in it.

The Robots were always cool cameras. That Royal 24 looks to be in real nice shape!

I have these three very important to me cameras in my collection. This Brownie Starfish was my first camera, my first real 35mm camera was a Minolta High Matic 7s, sadly this is not the exact one had, and this black Nikon F along with the 55macro, 105mm and 300m was my first "Pro" camera. The other body and lenses I had acquired later on. Funny thing with that Nikon body, was my father repossessed after I had it for a couple of years, due to some disagreement. I replaced it with a number of bodies over the years, which were always sold off when I upgraded, but I always wanted my first Nikon F back. When my father passed away my mother asked if there was anything of his that I wanted, I told her the only thing I wanted was my Nikon F.
Kodak Starflash.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M4
  • 18.7 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 2000
minolta copy.jpg
  • X10
  • 9.3 mm
  • ƒ/3.6
  • 10/1000 sec
  • ISO 1600

Nikon outfit.jpg
  • DSC-RX1RM2
  • 35 mm f/2
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 16000

Attachments

• Nikon outfit.jpg
    Nikon outfit.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 29
I have these three very important to me cameras in my collection. This Brownie Starfish was my first camera, my first real 35mm camera was a Minolta High Matic 7s, sadly this is not the exact one had, and this black Nikon F along with the 55macro, 105mm and 300m was my first "Pro" camera. The other body and lenses I had acquired later on. Funny thing with that Nikon body, was my father repossessed after I had it for a couple of years, due to some disagreement. I replaced it with a number of bodies over the years, which were always sold off when I upgraded, but I always wanted my first Nikon F back. When my father passed away my mother asked if there was anything of his that I wanted, I told her the only thing I wanted was my Nikon F.
View attachment 33351View attachment 33352
View attachment 33354
The Starflash is cool! Is that the original? Unfortunately, the Baby Brownie in my collection isn't my childhood camera, it's a replacement. Glad you were able to get your Nikon back. Tha Minolta meter in the photos has some dollar value, I still see them going in the hundreds.

There's only one camera in my collection that has any sentimental value. My dad's Minolta SRT-101. Here it is with the 58/1.2 mounted. I remember when he got the lens, he was really excited. He already had the 58/1.4 and at the time I couldn't understand the hullaballoo over what seemed to me at the time to be such a minor difference. I get it now, the lenses don't even compare with one another. I still have the 1.4 and a JC Penny 28/2.8 that were part of his kit.

Minolta SRT-101 and Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 by telecast, on Flickr

My girlfriend then now my wife had a 110, she took it on the beach in Spain and the lens melted.

I stuck with my 35mm Maxxum 7000 a long time after digital first came out. For my amateur uses I couldn't afford ILC cameras and felt they were a step down from film. I had a couple compact digital cameras before I bought a used Sony A33 for my first digital ICL.

I started with a Brownie then a Sears 126 "electric eye" in late grade school. My first telephoto shot of Mt.Rainier used half a binocular while I sighted thru the other half - worked pretty well for.. 1970?

I've had some weird-looking digital cameras but all decently functional for their time; Kodak dc260, Lumix LC40 and Casio p505 come to mind. And everyone favorite duckling, the K-01! IMGP0674.JPG

Thanks for the insight. Concerning your technology comment, would you wait for a new and improve Alpha 1 mark ii to come out rather than buying the current model? Thanks
The situation is not comparable. The Kodak + Canon and Kodak + Nikon efforts were lash ups tying old and new technologies together, and not particularly successfully. The Sony A1 is a very successful evolution of existing technologies, and a polished camera that has a lot of happy users (and some unhappy wallets!)

Why did you ask the question?

I fully expect an A1 mark II with the new AF and new rear screen, and at least one feature I cannot anticipate :) but there is nothing wrong with the current A1 (except a few people whining about not getting frequent firmware updates ;) ).

I know several people that tried the Z6, Z7, and the APS-C Zs and all said the same thing. I was really surprised at that with those models being so modern, I would've expected better AF.

I know several people that tried the Z6, Z7, and the APS-C Zs and all said the same thing. I was really surprised at that with those models being so modern, I would've expected better AF.
I know people with the z6/7 ii that are still complaining about the same thing.

I think the worst camera I ever used was an almost entirely plastic camera I was given as a child. It used 120 film, had a plastic lens, and I think it lasted maybe five rolls of film. Maybe six.

I think a Z6 was better than that :cool:

Easy. One of those throwaway 110 things they give out at weddings :)

Kodak DC40.

Prior to the Sydney Olympic Games the city of Sydney decided to upgrade some city streetscapes. The camera I had was state of the art and accompanied a solid ink Tektronix printer that I used to prepare dilapidation reports.

It could take an image every 5 seconds, and had a capacity of just shy of 50 shots that were downloaded by direct serial connection to my laptop. 20 minutes later, the images were downloaded in all their glory.

I persisted and saw the project through.

Still waiting for the digital version to hit the market...

Attachments

• 20230625_173758.jpg
    20230625_173758.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 33

New in Marketplace

Back