Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so here in the uk we do not always get the best shooting conditions light wise and we often get flat white or grey skies, so I have been trying to get more useable shots at higher iso, so let me know what you think
kestrel 2023 49.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 8000
kestrel 2023 51.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 6400
kestrel 2023 53.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 8000
kestrel 2023 57.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 8000
kestrel 2023 56.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 8000
kestrel 2023 55.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 8000
kestrel 2023 54.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 8000

Use able for what?
Really just worth the effort of editing and saving, its not everyday I see a kestrel in any conditions, and maybe showing on the odd forum after all if we are honest most of us only want to show our best efforts and I guess that is me as well

I'd say no Gary, but only because it's you and I know the regular calibre of your work.

On the other hand mate and in relation to your circumstances. I have rarely been able to get near a black cockatoo. So I got one a couple of weeks ago in the tree which I shared here and was happy with, but I did get one in flight which I had to abuse in Lightroom to get any type of decency from. I had no interest in sharing but because it was a first for me I still wanted to have it as a starting point with this bird. I'll put it here although it's definitely not an image I'd show off as my pride and joy. I see these types of images as acceptable on a personal level in this regard, but if it's a regular bird for the photographer I wouldn't be bothering trying to save it. This was way underexposed so I think the low ISO allowed me to keep it from being a comedy act...

View attachment 33879

I'd say no Gary, but only because it's you and I know the regular calibre of your work.

On the other hand mate. I have rarely been able to get near a black cockatoo. So I got one a couple of weeks ago in the tree which I shared here and was happy with, but I did get one in flight which I had to abuse in Lightroom to get any type of decency from. I had no interest in sharing but because it was a first for me I still wanted to have it as a starting point with this bird. I'll put it here although it's definitely not an image I'd show off as my pride and joy. I see these types of images as acceptable on a personal level in this regard, but if it's a regular bird for the photographer I wouldn't be bothering trying to save it.

View attachment 33879
Yep Clint it sort what I was thinking we all like to show our best efforts but if we are honest we sometimes get less than perfect results, but I do keep quite a few of my near misses it helps to see where I went wrong

They should be fine Gary. I did an exercise recently, I had a shot of a Goldcrest taken at 12800iso I did my usual workflow but did no noise reduction. I sent it away for a A3 print. It came back perfect, it’s hanging up in my wife’s cafe and has had a lot of positive comments.

Yep Clint it sort what I was thinking we all like to show our best efforts but if we are honest we sometimes get less than perfect results, but I do keep quite a few of my near misses it helps to see where I went wrong

Exactly! And even your sh*t ones are still better than most people's good ones anyway champion!

It's the images that Spudhead rejects that makes Spudhead's images the best... 😄

They should be fine Gary. I did an exercise recently, I had a shot of a Goldcrest taken at 12800iso I did my usual workflow but did no noise reduction. I sent it away for a A3 print. It came back perfect, it’s hanging up in my wife’s cafe and has had a lot of positive comments.
Iain thanks for comments I am just trying to push the camera and iso a bit to see what is possible and I guess my pixel count does not help when cropping either.

I'd be happy if they were mine!

This is exactly the right answer. I am not a BIF shooter so I'd be very happy with these, but they're not up to your standards. If I were trying to decide, I'd pick the best 1 or 2 to process and keep, then dump the rest.

This is exactly the right answer. I am not a BIF shooter so I'd be very happy with these, but they're not up to your standards. If I were trying to decide, I'd pick the best 1 or 2 to process and keep, then dump the rest.
I was not really trying to decide which to keep because I guess I knew I had pushed the limits of the light which was very low on the day, and the limits of the crop I could use on the a9, you guys have confirmed my thoughts toss them out, it has not been a waste of time because I have learned one or two things once again, thanks for looking all

Ok so here in the uk we do not always get the best shooting conditions light wise and we often get flat white or grey skies, so I have been trying to get more useable shots at higher iso, so let me know what you think View attachment 33872View attachment 33873View attachment 33874View attachment 33875View attachment 33876View attachment 33877View attachment 33878
Hi, Gary.

These are wonderful images to enjoy, but they may not stand up to your usual level of scrutiny. I'd be happy to have taken these for the memories. I have far too many photos that I wouldn't share, but I keep 'em around until I can make something to replace them.

Keep them until you have better!
That first one, in particular, is good - love the colours in the feathers.

Keep them until you have better!
That first one, in particular, is good - love the colours in the feathers.
Hi that is the point I have better it was just an attempt to see if I could get the camera to work better for me on those more usual days we have here weather wise.
kestel 2023 7.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2500

On the other hand mate and in relation to your circumstances. I have rarely been able to get near a black cockatoo. So I got one a couple of weeks ago in the tree which I shared here and was happy with, but I did get one in flight which I had to abuse in Lightroom to get any type of decency from. I had no interest in sharing but because it was a first for me I still wanted to have it as a starting point with this bird. I'll put it here although it's definitely not an image I'd show off as my pride and joy. I see these types of images as acceptable on a personal level in this regard, but if it's a regular bird for the photographer I wouldn't be bothering trying to save it. This was way underexposed so I think the low ISO allowed me to keep it from being a comedy act...

View attachment 33879
You could quickly run around the front and have another crack at it. They’re quite intelligent and she might have enjoyed a good laugh at your expense.

Back