Sony A7 III A7 III Super Slow to Process Image

remstagram_

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Remy Mermelstein
Hi,

New here so if this is not in the right place please forgive me. I have had my Sony A7 IV for about 2 years or so, got it in Jan 2020. Ever since i got it, I have always noticed it is super slow to save exposures that are longer than say, 1sec, to the memory card. I had a Canon 7D before this and would do long exposures all the time with the same cards and never had to wait as long as I do with the Sony to get the image processed and saved to the card before I can start my next shot. This became a problem last night when I was trying to take shots of the fireworks. If I do a 5 sec exposure, it will take 10-20sec to save the image. If I do a 30sec exposure, it will take 30-45sec or more, minimum, to save it. I thought that it might be the card, so I bought a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 170mb/s 128gb card, but the saving time did not improve at all. I shoot in RAW, and the file sizes are usually around 40-50mb, so theoretically the card should write it in less than 1 second.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

~Remy

Solution
D
have you got auto noise reduction switched on...if so this will double the file processing time on long exposures..... try switching it off and do any noise reduction in post processing.......
have you got auto noise reduction switched on...if so this will double the file processing time on long exposures..... try switching it off and do any noise reduction in post processing.......

Solution
In your shooting menu you will find the setting under image quality as "Long exposure NR"... Switch it to off and try again.... This should solve the problem you are describing.....

Remy, I'm not sure about your malfunction, but I'm worried about your math. You said you have had your A7 IV for about 2 years but that camera had not been released until last Christmas. So that's about 6 1/2 months ago.

Remy, I'm not sure about your malfunction, but I'm worried about your math. You said you have had your A7 IV for about 2 years but that camera had not been released until last Christmas. So that's about 6 1/2 months ago.
Hi Jeff, my mistake, I mean the Sony A7 III, I do not have the IV. Oops! Math was never my strongsuit, anyway ;)

In your shooting menu you will find the setting under image quality as "Long exposure NR"... Switch it to off and try again.... This should solve the problem you are describing.....
I'll try this ! thanks!

Back