Another update...15FPS, no TC. Rumor site puts this squarely on Sony's policies.

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Here you go. I don't see the advantage in spending a few thousand for 1/3 of a stop over the 200-600, unless it's a weight issue.

The image on top show the new 500mm f/5.6 Full Frame E-mount lens that will be announced on February 21. The additional info I got says:

• lightweight lens
  • very fast AF on Sony A1
  • very low chromatic aberration
  • Coming for Sony E and Leica L mount cameras
I am working to get info about the price that surely will be MUCH lower of that of the expensive Sony 400mm GM (Click here) and Sony 600mm GM (Click here). And my guess it’s that will cost $1,500-$2000 less than the current Sigma 500mm f/4.0 for Canon/Nikon.

Not sure the 2 compare Long primes are a different kettle of fish to long zoom lenses, 200-600 is a big bang for the buck, and Sigma long primes in my personal opinion have not been the best on Sony cameras in the past they have always suffered with high CA and unless the the price is really good I am not sure it would be received well

For someone who shoots with these types of lenses regularly maybe it makes sense. If it were f/4 I'd feel differently, I just don't see enough of an advantage to warrant having if someone already has the other. It will need to be relatively inexpensive and pretty good.

I know some don't care about the frame rate but a lot do and this lens would also be limited to 15fps. With the new burst feature the A9iii has, which I am sure will in some form be on the next A1, this limitation does become a bigger deal.

I know some don't care about the frame rate but a lot do and this lens would also be limited to 15fps. With the new burst feature the A9iii has, which I am sure will in some form be on the next A1, this limitation does become a bigger deal.
Absolutely, but I think between the slower aperture and assumed lower cost, it's not geared toward someone who purchased a $6,000 speed demon camera. This is going to be an everyman's lens. It'll be interesting to see what they price it at.

:unsure: Just a guess, it'll be between the new 300/2.8 and the 200-600. We should start a poll!

they would have had me at f4, but given these specs I'll stick to my 200-600 and save up for a native prime.

Absolutely, but I think between the slower aperture and assumed lower cost, it's not geared toward someone who purchased a $6,000 speed demon camera. This is going to be an everyman's lens. It'll be interesting to see what they price it at.

:unsure: Just a guess, it'll be between the new 300/2.8 and the 200-600. We should start a poll!
Andrea believes it will be in the 4-5k price range. My guess it will be around 5k.

This is going to be an expensive lens even if we want to call it an "everyman's lens" (kind of a silly though that a 500mm prime as this) targeted to those with the A7 series bodies. I am kind of shocked that Sony hasn't already upped the fps of the A7 line to 15fps but they will because Nikon and Canon have faster rates for similar bodies. You also know that the burst rate of some sort will filter down. The number of cameras that can do more than 15fps is growing every year.

That's insane.

Were you hoping it would be closer to the price of the Super-Powered 500mm/1000mm f/8.0 Telephoto Lens (Black) with 2X Professional Multiplier for Sony E-Mount Digital Mirrorless Cameras and Deluxe Accessory Bundle with Xpix Cleaning Kit? I know you are going to have questions about it but just to alleviate some concerns Christopher Burress calls it a lens.
Yeah, that...

I think in terms of Sigma Vs. Sony pricing where there are similar lenses in their lineup, and it doesn't add up. Sigma 100-400, $950, Sony 100-400, $2400. Sigma 150-600, $1,050, Sony 200-600, $2,000.

If we start our pricing based on the Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Nikon F (released in 2016) which is 6k subtract for this being F5.6 of 2k then add in some for inflation you are going to be in the 5k region.

If we use the 100-400s as a pricing tool with the 400GM or 600GM as the Sony version of the 100-400 then the Sigma 500mm would be $4800. 950/2400 =~40% and 12,000*0.4 = 4800.

Maybe it comes in closer to 4k. This is going to be a cheap lens only in terms of what it is compared too.

Let's see what is in the announcement. I think the price and the weight will be key factors.

If it is super-light (say 1.5kg or less), it might be attractive to some. Probably not me, though.

We already know that it won't support teleconverters (shame - f/11 at 1000mm might be interesting).

We already know it won't do 120fps.

But for some situations those limitations won't be a problem.

Does anyone on here use the Sigma 60-600?

Let's see what is in the announcement. I think the price and the weight will be key factors.

If it is super-light (say 1.5kg or less), it might be attractive to some. Probably not me, though.

We already know that it won't support teleconverters (shame - f/11 at 1000mm might be interesting).

We already know it won't do 120fps.

But for some situations those limitations won't be a problem.
Not sure light is Sigma's expertise!

wondering how a 1.4 TC would fit in? not sure it would take the Sony TC and not sure about the quality of Sigma TC

wondering how a 1.4 TC would fit in? not sure it would take the Sony TC and not sure about the quality of Sigma TC
It won't. Sony won't allow third party manufacturers to build lenses that can use a TC. If someone ever made a generic one like the old days it might, but without that deep-set rear lens element a TC won't fit, the lens elements would hit before the mount.

It won't. Sony won't allow third party manufacturers to build lenses that can use a TC. If someone ever made a generic one like the old days it might, but without that deep-set rear lens element a TC won't fit, the lens elements would hit before the mount.
thanks Brownie. I guess then "extended reach" would be realized with APSC mode from the higher res bodies with the trade of resolution, 21MP on the A1 and 26MP on the RV.

Here you go. I don't see the advantage in spending a few thousand for 1/3 of a stop over the 200-600, unless it's a weight issue.

The reason I'd go with a prime is for more light (faster), otherwise the advantage goes to the 200-600 Tele for versatility, IMO. 1/3 stop of light just doesn't seem enough to give up the versatility of the 200-600.

The reason I'd go with a prime is for more light (faster), otherwise the advantage goes to the 200-600 Tele for versatility, IMO. 1/3 stop of light just doesn't seem enough to give up the versatility of the 200-600.
Kind of where I'm at. On the other hand, if it does turn out to be light and relatively compact, it could be a nice lens for day-long outings.

I can see the lens for small bird hunting.

Doe`s anyone know how Sigma and Sony are getting the weight down in these lenses? I am aware of the Sony 300 2.8 element placement but it makes me wonder about the glass, primes have always been heavy I know I have some now and used many in the past. so are there fewer elements, or is the glass thinner, is glass some hybrid glass or are the elements not glass?

Doe`s anyone know how Sigma and Sony are getting the weight down in these lenses? I am aware of the Sony 300 2.8 element placement but it makes me wonder about the glass, primes have always been heavy I know I have some now and used many in the past. so are there fewer elements, or is the glass thinner, is glass some hybrid glass or are the elements not glass?

When we get the announcement we should see the lens layout. I'd expect to see one big element up the front, and most of the elements near the mount (especially the focus group and the IS group, because those have to be wrapped in motors). That's the normal way to reduce the weight. I remember Canon doing that in their long primes back in the DSLR days, so it's certainly not a new technique.

Sigma's Global Vision DSLR lenses used to go for sharp and well corrected over light weight, so this is a change of focus (pun not intended). They also tended to use regular glass over exotic, to keep the price down I am going to be interested to see what they are doing. Might they delve into exotic glass?

The one thing that would surprise me would be resorting to things like plastic elements. Plastics (sorry, "thermally stable composite materials") for the body of the lens, sure - they have been doing that from the start of the Global Vision programme - but not for the elements.

Not long to wait to find out, if the rumour is correct.

PS: yes, Sony moved most of the elements towards the mount. They also opted for a single focus group instead of paired (something that appears in a lot of their recent GM lenses)

When we get the announcement we should see the lens layout. I'd expect to see one big element up the front, and most of the elements near the mount (especially the focus group and the IS group, because those have to be wrapped in motors). That's the normal way to reduce the weight. I remember Canon doing that in their long primes back in the DSLR days, so it's certainly not a new technique.

Sigma's Global Vision DSLR lenses used to go for sharp and well corrected over light weight, so this is a change of focus (pun not intended). They also tended to use regular glass over exotic, to keep the price down I am going to be interested to see what they are doing. Might they delve into exotic glass?

The one thing that would surprise me would be resorting to things like plastic elements. Plastics (sorry, "thermally stable composite materials") for the body of the lens, sure - they have been doing that from the start of the Global Vision programme - but not for the elements.

Not long to wait to find out, if the rumour is correct.
Well the early sigma 500 4.5 lens were 4kgs ish and yes many years on they are looking at 1.5kgs that is some diet

As someone who has absolutely no idea, I would guess more plastic and less glass/metal. Polycarbonate lenses for internal groups would be protected from scratches, carbon fiber for barrels and focus rings is plenty strong, etc. Of course the first company to admit using plastic elements would be trashed to no end.

As someone who has absolutely no idea, I would guess more plastic and less glass/metal. Polycarbonate lenses for internal groups would be protected from scratches, carbon fiber for barrels and focus rings is plenty strong, etc. Of course the first company to admit using plastic elements would be trashed to no end.
Makes you wonder if the the new pricey primes are not using glass elements, a bit of a worry possibly

Back