Another update...15FPS, no TC. Rumor site puts this squarely on Sony's policies.

Makes you wonder if the the new pricey primes are not using glass elements, a bit of a worry possibly
If they're internal elements, it wouldn't make any difference to me if they don't degrade.

Doe`s anyone know how Sigma and Sony are getting the weight down in these lenses? I am aware of the Sony 300 2.8 element placement but it makes me wonder about the glass, primes have always been heavy I know I have some now and used many in the past. so are there fewer elements, or is the glass thinner, is glass some hybrid glass or are the elements not glass?
I'm not saying these lenses use diffractive optics (DO), but that has been how some Canon (DO) and Nikon (PF) make lighter, smaller long primes.

Makes you wonder if the the new pricey primes are not using glass elements, a bit of a worry possibly

I wear spectacles using plastic elements (they are called "lenses" by the optician, but they are "elements" to me!). They are much lighter. My current spectacles weigh 11g (titanium wire frames and high refractive index plastic elements)

But I want my camera lenses to use glass!

Does that sound hypocritical, or just a bit traditional? :unsure:

Does that sound hypocritical, or just a bit traditional? :unsure:
Neither. It sounds a bit like a luddite.

As long as the plastic elements are the internal sets, not the exterior lenses, what difference does it make? If they can reduce the weight and there's no chance of scratching who cares? 🤷‍♂️

Neither. It sounds a bit like a luddite.

As long as the plastic elements are the internal sets, not the exterior lenses, what difference does it make? If they can reduce the weight and there's no chance of scratching who cares? 🤷‍♂️

Nah - no chance of me sabotaging the machines, nor of losing my job! Definitely not a Luddite.

Given I've be choosing plastic over glass on the basis of weight for many years, I guess I should be open to it. There may even be other advantages to the use of plastic elements.

Well I am would need some convincing if the elements were made of plastic, glass lenses have been around for possibly a couple of hundred years and are proven to last the test of time. I am not sure I want a lens with plastic internal elements, just because something exists and can be made it doe`s not prove it is a good choice for the purpose only time will tell if they would be non degrading in any way.

Last edited:
Well I am would need some convincing if the elements were made of plastic, glass lenses have been around for possibly a couple of hundred years and are proven to last the test of time. I am not sure I want a lens with plastic internal elements, just because something exists and can be made it doe`s prove it is a good choice for the purpose only time will tell if they would be non degrading in any way.
I'll everyone will be shocked when they find a lens like the 70-200 GM/II was lightened using polycarbonates!

I'll everyone will be shocked when they find a lens like the 70-200 GM/II was lightened using polycarbonates!
polycarbonates are fine if they are in the lens barrel, I am not if you are referring to the barrel or elements

polycarbonates are fine if they are in the lens barrel, I am not if you are referring to the barrel or elements
Elements, but interior only. As long as it's protected from scratching. Or, if that's not the right material than whatever material is correct.

This is basically the Nikon 500 pf. They are fantastic lenses. If it's as good optically it will be very appealing

I'll be very interested

Including you?

Won’t attract me, but I now have an excellent excuse: “won’t do 120fps” :cool:
Nope, the 200-600 is plenty for what I use. But if someone wants a lightweight prime this may do the trick for them, even though it's not very fast. Of course, this would only apply to people whose camera isn't a one-trick pony. :cool:

Nope, the 200-600 is plenty for what I use. But if someone wants a lightweight prime this may do the trick for them, even though it's not very fast. Of course, this would only apply to people whose camera isn't a one-trick pony. :cool:
The Nikon 500 pf, which has the same aperture, has been a huge success and if the Tamron IQ is as good it will win over some 200 600 users.

full specs and pictures of the Sigma 500 5.6 on photo Rumours site, they claim a weight of 1370 grams, the 15mm lens is shown as well

just visually, I find its design a bit odd, particularly the area from the lens foot to the mount. Like they built a 300mm lens and popped a TC on it! :LOL: kudos for the arca swiss integrated foot though, wish native lenses would do that.

here is Sigma’s actual announcement: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/s024_500_56/ - the word from the maker!

If you look at the images on Sigma’s site you can see that the lens swells out to where the hood attaches - not sure why. Interesting to see that it DOES take a real lens cap (only 95mm, too)

if you click on Camera compatibility on the Sigma site, the A9III is not listed!

I haven’t found the lens diagram on the Sigma site yet. Aha - you can see it overlaid on the lens in their (short! 3:39) YouTube video for the lens.

Last edited:
Chris Nicholls review is also up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxhc0pKyLws

The foot seems really short.

Just re-viewed the Sigma video - looks like the core chassis inside the lens is made from TSC (basically, plastic).

Amusing they now refer to OS2 instead of OSS.

And they make a big point about only using refractive elements (not diffractive) - I think that’s a dig at lenses from other makers using diffractive elements (Nikon, for example).

Back