Aperture Ring...

• Thread starter Deleted Member 5045
  • Start date

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

D

Deleted Member 5045

I think they make a zoom look cluttered, while I like the look of it on a prime. I have never once used it though!

I have never once used it though!
That's because you never had to. We had no choice until the Maxxum hit the shelves. If you didn't use the ring, you didn't change the aperture.

These days I rarely use them, but most are there for video. They make them detent-free so videographers can do a smooth transition while shooting.

That's because you never had to. We had no choice until the Maxxum hit the shelves. If you didn't use the ring, you didn't change the aperture.

These days I rarely use them, but most are there for video. They make them detent-free so videographers can do a smooth transition while shooting.

I'm aware of all of that, but as photographers today, I thought maybe it's like a lens hood scenario where everyone is using it except for me... 😄

I'm aware of all of that, but as photographers today, I thought maybe it's like a lens hood scenario where everyone is using it except for me... 😄
Regarding the lens hoods Clint as far as I am aware most of your lenses apart from the 200-600 have tiny lens hoods, so I guess you would loose them anyway, and that is if you have not thrown them away :)

I've not used an aperture ring in years, the last time being when I had an old Pentax macro (epic lens) that was full manual on my K3. No need for one these days.

I find that using the aperture ring is much more satisfactory than the wheel in the camera body so yes, I use it. And actually now that I'm looking for a new zoom lens, that it has aperture ring is one of the key features for me.

Regarding the lens hoods Clint as far as I am aware most of your lenses apart from the 200-600 have tiny lens hoods, so I guess you would loose them anyway, and that is if you have not thrown them away :)

I'm obsessive compulsive mate, that's why I look the way I do. I'm absolutely pedantic about all of my valuable possessions, things like my watches, bikes etc are all immaculate and unmarked. So my camera gear is no different, the hoods are still all in their original packing inside the box. ✅

I've not used an aperture ring in years, the last time being when I had an old Pentax macro (epic lens) that was full manual on my K3. No need for one these days.

Very interesting. I really thought almost everyone wouldn't use it!

I find that using the aperture ring is much more satisfactory than the wheel in the camera body so yes, I use it. And actually now that I'm looking for a new zoom lens, that it has aperture ring is one of the key features for me.

Can I smell a 24-70mm GMII coming..? 😄

went with mates to the wildlife park a bout 3 years back with a7iii and a-mount old minolta 400 4.5 and had picked up the wrong adaptor so no screw drive also adaptor says no to everything else ok, pulled lens coat off and shot all day manual focus aperture etc so a dumb adaptor . Mates thought it funny and were saying how do you do that? but it sort of just came back to me and to be honest the shots were ok

went with mates to the wildlife park a bout 3 years back with a7iii and a-mount old minolta 400 4.5 and had picked up the wrong adaptor so no screw drive also adaptor says no to everything else ok, pulled lens coat off and shot all day manual focus aperture etc so a dumb adaptor . Mates thought it funny and were saying how do you do that? but it sort of just came back to me and to be honest the shots were ok

Care to share these shots of yours mate..? 😉

I think they make a zoom look cluttered, while I like the look of it on a prime. I have never once used it though!

I own two lenses where I have no option about using an aperture ring: the Voigtlander APO Lanthars: 50mm and 35mm - the aperture ring is the only way to set the aperture on those lenses. I'm pleased to report that both of these can be operated in de-clicked mode!

On lenses where I have a choice, I usually don't use the ring, but I don't mind having the option of a de-clicked aperture ring in case I ever start shooting video (you never know - it has been almost 2 decades that I've been shooting digital stills photography - I might starting shooting video any day now!)

Got one on a Sony 16-35mm and I like using it. Probably just because I like the feel of mechanical stuff. Have sometimes confused myself trying to change the aperture electronically and wondering why not working…which is because the aperture ring is in play, but that’s just a bit of user error.

I own two lenses where I have no option about using an aperture ring: the Voigtlander APO Lanthars: 50mm and 35mm - the aperture ring is the only way to set the aperture on those lenses. I'm pleased to report that both of these can be operated in de-clicked mode!

On lenses where I have a choice, I usually don't use the ring, but I don't mind having the option of a de-clicked aperture ring in case I ever start shooting video (you never know - it has been almost 2 decades that I've been shooting digital stills photography - I might starting shooting video any day now!)

I didn't think to add a middle answer. No option but to use the ring..!

I put all mine on de-click but as I said I have all of them at camera control.

For sure, at least it's there just in case you need it! 😄

Got one on a Sony 16-35mm and I like using it. Probably just because I like the feel of mechanical stuff. Have sometimes confused myself trying to change the aperture electronically and wondering why not working…which is because the aperture ring is in play, but that’s just a bit of user error.

How do you feel about the zoom ring on that PZ lens? I love it as I can just lightly turn it with my index finger. Have you tried using the rocker at all?

Care to share these shots of yours mate..? 😉
Sample here Clint, look at the shutter speed on the second 1/60th thirty some years old that glass!
tigers 2019.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500
tiger min 400 4.5 2019 (3).jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 500

I use them all the time to flick back to Auto if I accidentally bump it off auto.

How do you feel about the zoom ring on that PZ lens? I love it as I can just lightly turn it with my index finger. Have you tried using the rocker at all?
Yeh I like the rocker. Probably more designed for video but I like the ease of adjusting zoom while looking through the viewfinder for stills. Still early days with that lens but really enjoying it.

Hi, I’m a very new A7C11 user and can’t change the aperture electronically on manual or aperture priority, only via the lens. How do I change this? I would like both options. I have sony 20-70 lens

Hi, I’m a very new A7C11 user and can’t change the aperture electronically on manual or aperture priority, only via the lens. How do I change this? I would like both options. I have sony 20-70 lens

Most common reason not to be able to change the aperture electronically is having the aperture ring on the ens not set to A. It only takes a nudge to move it away from A and then it's aperture ring only.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Deleted Member 5045, If this reply answers your question please make sure to mark the reply as the solution by clicking on the    icon next to the appropriate reply.
Back