Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This thread is dedicated to birds in flight images.

Here's one of a red kite at Bwlch Nant yr Arian (mid Wales) just to get the ball rolling.

Shot with the a7III + 200-600.

redkite2.jpg

Last edited:

Here's one of a red kite at Bwlch Nant yr Arian (mid Wales) just to get the ball rolling.

View attachment 838
arghhh, puts may feeble attempts to shame - note to self - must get out and practice more , great image Tim, (y) :)

Great photo Tim, love to see these birds in the air. Shame I don't catch them too often.

One of my favourite birds to photograph in flight has to be Terns. Have a few sites locally where common Terns breed and had planned lots of photos this year, but with the way things have been I missed most of the breeding season. Still managed a couple visits at the end of the season and here are a couple shots from WWT Washington.

Adult with fish, A6400 + 200-600
Common Tern with Fish.jpg

Juvenile, A6400 + 70-350
Early Flight.jpg

Great photo Tim, love to see these birds in the air. Shame I don't catch them too often.

One of my favourite birds to photograph in flight has to be Terns. Have a few sites locally where common Terns breed and had planned lots of photos this year, but with the way things have been I missed most of the breeding season. Still managed a couple visits at the end of the season and here are a couple shots from WWT Washington.

Adult with fish, A6400 + 200-600
View attachment 845

Juvenile, A6400 + 70-350
View attachment 846
have yet to photograph Artic terns, something I must rectify soon, they look quite challenging, particularly like the image of the catch btw

have yet to photograph Artic terns, something I must rectify soon, they look quite challenging, particularly like the image of the catch btw

Thanks Cliff

It's all down to watching and tracking the birds, at a nesting colony you will always have adults bringing in the catch for the young. I have a couple local sites that I have been visiting for a few years now so know them quite well.

• Admin

One of my favourite birds to photograph in flight has to be Terns. Have a few sites locally where common Terns breed and had planned lots of photos this year, but with the way things have been I missed most of the breeding season. Still managed a couple visits at the end of the season and here are a couple shots from WWT Washington
Thanks Dylan. Your Tern shots are fantastic! I've never actually shot them before so will have to put them on my list! I've missed a lot this year too, especially the Puffins on Skomer.

• Admin
well in response to the great image posted by Tim - here is my attempt at a red kite taken just outside of Crickhowell, ( South Wales) , first time out with the 200-600
Nice shot Cliff! Have you been to Bwlch Nant yr Arian? I could go to Gigrin Farm which is closer to me put I prefer the landscape at Bwlch and there are some really nice walking trails too.

View attachment 838
Awesome! Sony is a game changer for BIF..

Attachments

• EE21D11D-5E59-4BC3-B744-6F63A8DDDF72.jpeg
    EE21D11D-5E59-4BC3-B744-6F63A8DDDF72.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 202
Great shots Tim, and everyone. Here's my first attempt on BIF.
Thank you! Nice shot too! Those peregrines are definitely challenging to catch in flight.

_SA95635 fb.JPG
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 164.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 100

Well I don't think this one required quite the same level of skill that your BIF needed Tim, gannets are very slow flyers!

Northern Shoveler, Colusa County California USA
a7rIII, FE 600mm GM
spacly16.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • FE 600mm F4 GM OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1000
spacly17.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • FE 600mm F4 GM OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 640
spacly26.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • FE 600mm F4 GM OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 800

Nice shot Cliff! Have you been to Bwlch Nant yr Arian? I could go to Gigrin Farm which is closer to me put I prefer the landscape at Bwlch and there are some really nice walking trails too.
Thanks very much, even though I hail from South Wales I’ve not been to either red kite feeding station as yet, I will endeavour to visit once this covid issue has subsided and the venues re open, I didn’t realise there were walking trails too, that’s a bonus, that Means I take my better half , thanks for the heads up

Well I don't think this one required quite the same level of skill that your BIF needed Tim, gannets are very slow flyers!
I don't think there was too much skill involved with my shot. Just lucky with the light and when the kites are feeding you are spoilt for choice really. I love the Gannets. Really wanted to get to Bempton Cliffs this month but not sure if I'll make it or not right now and the clock is ticking for their departure.

I don't think there was too much skill involved with my shot. Just lucky with the light and when the kites are feeding you are spoilt for choice really. I love the Gannets. Really wanted to get to Bempton Cliffs this month but not sure if I'll make it or not right now and the clock is ticking for their departure.
Hi Tim, hope all is going well with you. There were mostly gannets there and most of the other birds had gone out back to sea including the puffins. We'll go back in spring I think. On the photography day the sea mist just stayed all day so shots were limited sadly.

Missed this thread when I joined up! We are very fortunate to live 20 minutes from the Knepp Rewilding Project, where they have re-introduced the White Storks to the UK, and where they have successfully bred this year. It's been great to watch, and the birds picked a nesting site with easy access. No need to get close, they fly past at 30 ft sometimes, like this :) Just about fitted in frame at 300mm.
DSC02037.jpg

fantastic, are they breeding on the estate ? and if so can you access easily very early in the day etc

fantastic, are they breeding on the estate ? and if so can you access easily very early in the day etc

Yes, they have had successfully fledged young this year, that are now flying around with the adult birds waiting to migrate over winter. They have also released some more birds to help encourage the young to migrate. You can get access at any time, it's all public footpaths/rights of way, and one pair of Storks just chose the perfect spot this year, the other pair nested out of public access. I would say that you haven't got long if you want to see them this year, but, provided they don't perish in migration, they will return to the same nest in April to start again. If you want a bit more info about where to park and walk in from just drop me a message. More than happy to guide you in. Also, the Deer Rut will get underway there soon if that's of interest :)

Soaring Heron4@ Prestwick April.jpg
Sooaring Heron 12@ Prestwick April.jpg
  • ILCE-7M2
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

Back