Followers
Following
Name
Lisa
Country
United States
City/State
St. Louis, Missouri
I went to the Butterfly House yesterday on a mission. I wanted to capture the iridescent Blue Morpho Butterfly (my favorite!) in flight. My camera does not have "Insect Detect" but I figured butterflies were bigger and it would focus fine. Wow, was I wrong!

Several hours later, dripping sweat, and over 1000 shutter clicks later, I only got two that are questionably in focus. I can't wait to go back now and shoot some stills, and maybe try some in flight shots again. I have to say, in flight Blue Morpho Butterflies have been my biggest challenge yet to photograph! I'm jealous of y'all that have "Insect Detect" on your cameras.

DSC06898.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1000

DSC06899.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Last edited:
Oops, found a few more going through the files again. I guess that happens when your cat walks on your keyboard to visit with you and eventually rests on your lap. Another Blue Morpho in flight.

DSC07055.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 4000

I have to ask, what settings are you using for AF and focus area? I honestly don't think insect recognition is going to help much. I would think center spot (no tracking at all) large or medium area + AF-C would be the ticket. It's going to take some practice to keep the butterfly in the focus area, but that's going to be the key even with tracking and recognition. Even if you go to a wider AF area it will need to be kept in the frame. Once you can do that with reasonable consistency, insect recognition probably won't matter.

I have to ask, what settings are you using for AF and focus area? I honestly don't think insect recognition is going to help much. I would think center spot (no tracking at all) large or medium area + AF-C would be the ticket. It's going to take some practice to keep the butterfly in the focus area, but that's going to be the key even with tracking and recognition. Even if you go to a wider AF area it will need to be kept in the frame. Once you can do that with reasonable consistency, insect recognition probably won't matter.
I was honestly trying wide, zone, center, and expandable spot tracking. I also tried 1, 3, and 5 tracking sensitivity and AF-C for all used.. I honestly couldn't tell you now what was what for each image. I think part of the problem was the f was 2.8-3.2 for them due to high shutter speeds needed. A flash would have made all the difference I bet.

Last edited:
I was honestly trying wide, zone, center, and expandable spot tracking. I also tried 1, 3, and 5 tracking sensitivity and AF-C for all used.. I honestly couldn't tell you now what was what for each image. I think part of the problem was the f was 2.8-3.2 for them due to high shutter speeds needed. A flash would have made all the difference I bet.
I think messing with some settings and practice would get you where you want to be, it's rare that the camera improves the quality of the photograph. The skills needed for this type of photography are developed. I sure as heck don't possess them, but like anything else they can be learned. The A7R IV is capable, just takes some time. I'm betting with a little effort you'll see exponential improvement pretty quickly.

Back