Followers
Following
Name
Doug
Country
United States
City/State
Austin, Texas
I haven't gotten my new a7r IVa yet, but of course I have revived two of the lenses I ordered at the time. I have seen a few comments in the innerwebs about protecting against dust getting in when change the lens. Other than the "normal-and-customary" procedures anyone with half a brain would use, I wondered if any of you use any kind of cover (obvious clear) while changing lenses outside or in dusty locations?

On my first safari, I went to change lenses at our "sundowner" (drinks at sunset, where you get to stretch your legs). There was a much more experienced photographer there who was like "no! no! no!" He suggested having 2 different bodies. I was shaking my head, as it is just a hobby for me. He went and grabbed me an old, lint-free t-shirt to hold while changing lenses. He also insisted on holding both the lens opening down, and sensor as well. (gravity). I happened to luck out, and didn't ever suffer from dust/dirt getting in.

Yep, I've always held the camera body facing down when changing and flipped the lens down as quickly as possible. I think I'll carry a towel or pillowcase, or something, to cover them with. I hate dust on my sensor!

In general, I seldom use a cover. Except for high-wind sand storms in the Sahara, avalanches in Alps, filming tornadoes in Oklahoma, and documenting hurricanes in Florida --- in which case I'd use an X-large zip-lock clear plastic bag as cover (plastic to avoid lint floaters fr terrycloth or cotton towels). I always keep this ziplock handy in case of rain.

Okay.... I may have lied about the desert and weather extremes. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a ziplock.......but I did have a stolen shower cap from a hotel (to be used as a rain cover). I suppose that would have been much better than the t-shirt!!

I didn't have a ziplock.......but I did have a stolen shower cap from a hotel (to be used as a rain cover). I suppose that would have been much better than the t-shirt!!
Could just buy a super-cheap shower curtain and cut it in just the right size square and have several spares.

Yeah, the humongous Zip Lock seems a very good answer. I do the "upside down" now and as soon as the body is free of the lens it is face down on a clean surface until the next lens is on it. I am pretty sure that most do it like this.

Back