Sony A7 IV D- Range Optimizer

FlapGlide

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Should I leave this on or off? I shoot raw and jpeg. If I understand, it does not impact the raw files but I'm not sure. What about movie mode? Trying to understand the setting and the impacts. Any help is appreciated.

I leave it off, but the best answer would be to mess with it and see if you like it. You're correct that it has no effect on RAW. Can't answer about movie mode.

I leave mine off, but I only shoot RAW. It won't show any in camera effects on RAW images, so no point. Different if you shoot and use JPEG

I leave it off as I save to both Cards, one RAW + heif. I think It has no effect, unless you don’t save to raw.

I leave it off as I save to both Cards, one RAW + heif. I think It has no effect, unless you don’t save to raw.
I was just going to post something about HEIF. What kind of decoder are you using? Do you see a tangible difference between HEIF and jpeg? It is supposed to be lossless compressed with more information in a smaller file and might be a good alternative for those who want to produce an in-camera processed image. There isn't much real-world use going on, would love to hear how you use/view/etc.

I was just going to post something about HEIF. What kind of decoder are you using? Do you see a tangible difference between HEIF and jpeg? It is supposed to be lossless compressed with more information in a smaller file and might be a good alternative for those who want to produce an in-camera processed image. There isn't much real-world use going on, would love to hear how you use/view/etc.
Only had my camera since Nov and since Jan I’m just downloading and archiving in that format. It’s a native Mac format so it behaves like jpeg on my Apple devices and iMac using any app.

All the images I took in Nov/Dec were heif while I was on a trip to Czech Republic. These respond very well to editing in luminar neo, and display upon transfer based on the camera setting photo profile. I use V V.

The Sony imaging app provides limited support for the format removing most of the editing options based on its identification of the heif files as jpeg.

Worth a fiddle. The heif files are all 33Mb -same as the RAW file size from A7iv. I’ll see if it is lossless.

Last edited:
Back