Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm trying to get my head around the new HDR features in LrC and I'm finding it a little confusing. My computer display at home is an ASUS PA329CV which is a HD display. I've been playing around with the options but I'm not sure what is going on.
Image 1 has been post processed using the usual SDR settings in light room. As can be seen, some of the bright areas in the base of the cone are a little blown out. file size is 2.77 Mb.
Image 2 is the exact same image as Image 1, but all I've done is activated the HDR option and out in the normal SDR format. It looks much better, without any area blown out, it looks like it has more dynamic range - I think that's right? File size is 2.35 Mb
Image 3 is the same as Image 2, but I've activated the HDR output option in LrC. I can't see any difference on my computer screen between Image 3 and Image 2. Files size is 2.99 Mb.
Image 4 is the same as Image 3, but I've activated the option for SDR rendition settings and Preview for SDR Display and adjusted the settings to improve the look in SDR. My understanding was that this would not impact the look in HDR. I then output the file as for Image 3 i.e., activated the HDR output option. I was expecting that this image would look better than Image 1 on an SDR monitor, but should look no different to Image 3 on a HDR monitor. It clearly looks better than Image 1, but it is also slightly different to Image 2 and 3 on my HD monitor. So, I'm not sure if I'm understanding what is going on. Any comments welcome.

Image 1 (SDR).
fountain_longexposure_BW_sdr-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II + 2X Teleconverter
  • 306.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100

Image 2 (HDR)
fountain_longexposure_BW_hdr-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 306.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100

Image 3 (HDR with HDR output enabled).
fountain_longexposure_BW_hdr_hdroutput-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 306.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100

Image 4 HDR (with modifications to SDR in preview mode, with HDR output enabled).
fountain_longexposure_BW_hdr_hdroutput_modified4SDR-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 306.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100

Back