Sony A7R IV EVF exposure different from images

Sean2260

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I have been using an a6000 for years now and just recently purchased an A7R IV. When using the a6000 the scene that I see in the EVF correctly displays what the exposure & focus will be in the photo. With the A7R IV I am experiencing an issue where the exposure does not match the EVF. Yes DRO is off, and yes I am shooting RAW + JPG. I want to say the end photo will be 1-2 stops darker than what the EVF showed. I have Zebra enabled at 109 Lower Limit.

Have others experienced this? Is there a setting I may have missed to set?

Is the Live View Display Setting Effect on or off? If it's off could your ISO be too low?

Not an issue of brightness with the EVF, but rather how correct it represents the lighting conditions and preview of what the resulting image will be. Photos taken with more direct sunlight do not experience this issue, but photos done more in shade, stronger contrast, etc. do appear significantly darker than what was displayed in the EVF.

This may be a setting I am unaware of, but this is not an issue I have with my a6000. That shows me quite accurately what the end result exposure will be. If I see it is too light or too dark in the eyepiece it will be accurately represented in the photo.

Problem at heart is I do not have confidence, I did learn to use the histrogram but sometimes I do just look at the eyepiece and shoot without paying as much attention. I think what I need to do is tether my camera and when I experience this to also take a screenshot of the live view and take note of the histrogram as displayed on camera to compare how histrogram matches end result.

Your issue sounds like it may be due to the "Aperture Drve in AF" setting (Menu item AF2, 6 of 15). and AF-S vs AF-C. AF-S does AF with the lens aperture wide open and not wider then f2. This could make the image you see brighter than the captured and stored image. When using the AF-C mode the aperture remains closed down during focus resulting in little or no difference between observed and stored image brightness.

The "Aperture Drve in AF" setting also affects what you see vs stored. In Standard Mode AF works as described above. Silent Priority Mode always focuses at the shooting aperture. Focus Priority Mode does AF with aperture at wide open, but not wider than f2.

I think the above may help answer your concerns. If not, the above may give you a place to start (or reject). If I may, I highly recommend the Sony alpha a7RIV Guide to Digital Photography book by David Busch (see AMZN) as an excellent source of explanation of every intimate detail of the operation and use of this camera. He has other books detailing other Sony cameras as well. What I stated above comes from Page270. He does it a lot better than I ever could…

Good Luck

Back