Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I want to learn how to take panoramas, and to do that effectively, I believe I need an L Bracket for my A6400.
So far, these are the two best choices I see:

1594151461_1570132.jpg

1559831439_IMG_1196735.jpg

Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the second one because it is cheaper and I question whether I really trust the grip extension on the first model pictured.

I would go with the SmallRig bracket because of the added handle. It increases the grip depth and, SmallRig makes other adapters that you could add if needed. I decided to go with a full cage on my A6600. That gives you threaded mounting holes on all 4 sides for future endeavors. At least, that my thoughts on it, FWIW. :sneaky:(y)

I would go with the SmallRig bracket because of the added handle. It increases the grip depth and, SmallRig makes other adapters that you could add if needed. I decided to go with a full cage on my A6600. That gives you threaded mounting holes on all 4 sides for future endeavors. At least, that my thoughts on it, FWIW. :sneaky:(y)
Thanks JD. I appreciate all input.
Can you tell me more about your decision to go with a full cage? I have always been curious why people choose that path?

I did a short review of the UURig R006 a while back. It's a nice l-bracket that also makes the camera a little more comfortable to hold. Only negative is that it makes it more difficult to remove the SD card. I've not tried the SmallRig version but most of their products are pretty good. A full cage will add more weight and protection but I'd normally only use one if attaching additional accessories like a mic or external recorder.

I did a short review of the UURig R006 a while back. It's a nice l-bracket that also makes the camera a little more comfortable to hold. Only negative is that it makes it more difficult to remove the SD card. I've not tried the SmallRig version but most of their products are pretty good. A full cage will add more weight and protection but I'd normally only use one if attaching additional accessories like a mic or external recorder.
Great review Tim, I think it might be the right tool for me after all!

@Timothy Mayo thanks again, your video helped me decide. Its a good fit too! Going to try taking some panoramas on the tripod today to test it out.

20211211_101900.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/24 sec
  • ISO 640

@Timothy Mayo thanks again, your video helped me decide. Its a good fit too! Going to try taking some panoramas on the tripod today to test it out.
Looking forward to seeing the panoramas Chris! :)

Attempt 1:
Here's the scene in a single 18mm exposure:
DSC08841.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • Sony E 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS (SEL18135)
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 400

Here is the panorama created from 5 vertical exposures at 18mm:
Getty_Panorama1.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 400

Things I learnt:
- Manual focus is a must.
- Automatic White Balance should be avoided
- Don't rush when taking the pictures: one step to the left would have allowed me to center the fountain details in the scene more effectively

Attempt #2: not very pretty, but good practice.

Here is the scene at 18mm:
DSC08855.JPG
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

Here is the same sunset comprised of 5 vertical exposures at 135mm stitched together:
Sunset_Panorama1.1.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

The telephone/power lines really messed me up. You can see where the panorama stitching took place thanks to the lack of continuity in the powerlines.

Things I learnt from this attempt:
- Correct the level on all shots individually before stitching panorama
- Peak Design tripod needs to have 2 pins removed before using an L Bracket
- UURIG L bracket has a bit of play when seated in the Peak Design Tripod (further testing required)
- Beware any distracting elements like powerlines LOL

I believe Lightroom has a tool to easily get rid of the power-lines. My feeble memory tells me that. Emphasis on FEEBLE. ;)

I believe Lightroom has a tool to easily get rid of the power-lines. My feeble memory tells me that. Emphasis on FEEBLE. ;)
Actually, Photoshop's spot healing brush (with the content-aware option) is doing the trick, but its just slow and tedious lol.
Sunset_Panorama1.2.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
Back