Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so nd filters I know what they are used for, so what do you use screw in a mount system. I need to know what you know, is yet again the more you spend the better they are thanks a lot

I use a B+W nd filter, you just screw it on the front element of the lens. I use it to take long exposure photos during the day. Mine is a 10 stop, meaning it blocks 10 stops of light

DSC06766.jpg
  • ILCE-6300
  • E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 25 sec
  • ISO 100

I have two that just screw onto the lens.

Others that I have seen have a clip-on bracket that grabs the front of the lens then various forms of putting a filter on the bracket.

For the screw in the more spend the better the filter glass tends to be. With the ones that you use some kind of bracket also there tends to be a price point ($300ish) in which they are basically all the same and the price difference is however much they want to add for the bracket system.

Ok so nd filters I know what they are used for, so what do you use screw in a mount system. I need to know what you know, is yet again the more you spend the better they are thanks a lot
Hi , I use the Nisi filter system.

I have a ring that screw's onto the lens, you then attach the filter holder thst has slots to slide the filters into.

It can allow an polariser and up to 3 filters , Nisi now gas a screw on system where you can stack them and also others do this.

I will set it up and take an image to show you.

I always use a C-Pol for waterfalls, or close river shots. I also have ND100 and ND1000 there although I rarely use them.

I use screw on Kenko Celeste. I like the quality of these.

Attachments

• IMG_20230805_093714.jpg
    IMG_20230805_093714.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230805_093721.jpg
    IMG_20230805_093721.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230805_093750.jpg
    IMG_20230805_093750.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230805_093830.jpg
    IMG_20230805_093830.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 25
Are you thinking of trying some Gary?
Yep sort of need to kill some of the bright light that I see when traveling, the 24-70 f4 Zeiss struggles when using f 14 -f 22, it gets quite soft and suffers with vignetting , but if careful I can pull the shots off at f22 and the like, the answer might be a new short lens given replies in regard of the cost of good filters, I have one or two but the thread size are wrong. just looking at options, still struggling with the angle of view on these street shots when they are literally 15-20 feet away

Try a decent polarizer like Clint suggested. If you do some research and find the right one you can cut up to 3 stops. Unless you want to shoot long exposure stuff that should be plenty to just cut some bright.

I had one of the frame setups for 4/3 with graduated filters that went from clear to 'X' for doing landscapes. Never used them, too much of a hassle. That is my entire experience with ND filters.

Should take the 300 2.8 g and adaptor I have a built in adjustable polarizer you just turn in the rear of the a very nice leather look filter case with a price tag of £300.00 plus, although useless for street shots, bummer

Yep sort of need to kill some of the bright light that I see when traveling, the 24-70 f4 Zeiss struggles when using f 14 -f 22, it gets quite soft and suffers with vignetting , but if careful I can pull the shots off at f22 and the like, the answer might be a new short lens given replies in regard of the cost of good filters, I have one or two but the thread size are wrong. just looking at options, still struggling with the angle of view on these street shots when they are literally 15-20 feet away
I think there are also step up and step down rings available. You screw that on the front element and on that ring you screw your other sized filter.

I think this works best when the filter size is bigger than your lens.

I think there are also step up and step down rings available. You screw that on the front element and on that ring you screw your other sized filter.

I think this works best when the filter size is bigger than your lens.

I have two sets of 72mm and 82mm of all filters. Then I have 67-82mm and 72-82mm stepping rings. Depending which bag I'm taking or if I'm not taking a bag at all, and what I'm shooting this allows me to take minimal clutter along.

I have two sets of 72mm and 82mm of all filters. Then I have 67-82mm and 72-82mm stepping rings. Depending which bag I'm taking or if I'm not taking a bag at all, and what I'm shooting this allows me to take minimal clutter along.
I was thinking about getting something like that as well. What's your experience with it? Or does it just does the job as it should be?

I was thinking about getting something like that as well. What's your experience with it? Or does it just does the job as it should be?

Absolutely fine mate no difference. Actually if we really want to get technical, seeming that the filter protrudes out further when using a stepping ring, you'd actually get less vignetting if it is a problem at widest angle when using thicker or multiple filters.

I'm not a fan of multiple filters anyway. If you have to mess with the image that much then it's going to be too highlighty or what not, and not even worthwhile going to the trouble to get the shot in my opinion.

I also like at least a -4 vignette on 95% of my images. 🙂

Absolutely fine mate no difference. Actually if we really want to get technical, seeming that the filter protrudes out further when using a stepping ring, you'd actually get less vignetting if it is a problem at widest angle when using thicker or multiple filters.

I'm not a fan of multiple filters anyway. If you have to mess with the image that much then it's going to be too highlighty or what not, and not even worthwhile going to the trouble to get the shot in my opinion.

I also like at least a -4 vignette on 95% of my images. 🙂
Thank you, appreciate it!

I think another downside is that the lens hood won't fit anymore and I will leave it up there whether that is a downside to all of us ;)

I have used polarization filter for various architectural images since the 1980’s.

I bought a Hoya variable ND filter recently which rotates to adjust the density up to around 8 stops.

The downside is that you have to go Hoodless, which makes one’s lens appear short and inadequate.

For anyone interested, K&F Concepts ND1000 (10-stop) ND filter is on sale on Amazon today; $31.44 USD for the 67mm size.
I'm considering getting one, just not sure if a 10 stop is excessive for the scenes where I might use it (sunrises at beach and sunsets over residential lakes). Although the picture that @Matthias posted makes me think a 10-stop may be more versatile than I previously thought.

For anyone interested, K&F Concepts ND1000 (10-stop) ND filter is on sale on Amazon today; $31.44 USD for the 67mm size.
I'm considering getting one, just not sure if a 10 stop is excessive for the scenes where I might use it (sunrises at beach and sunsets over residential lakes). Although the picture that @Matthias posted makes me think a 10-stop may be more versatile than I previously thought.
You can stack them too, a 6 Stop + 4 stop, etc. Usually, a set is more versatile than a single. Just be aware that too many could reduce image quality, and can also cause vignetting if the stack gets too long.

You can stack them too, a 6 Stop + 4 stop, etc. Usually, a set is more versatile than a single. Just be aware that too many could reduce image quality, and can also cause vignetting if the stack gets too long.
That's actually why I was curious about a fixed ND, the only other ND I have is an adjustable ND (1-5stops) and I am wary of stacking anything on top of that (though technically it should work)

Back