Ok so who will buy either of the new Sony releases either the a9iii or 300 gm 2.8 or are these irrelevant to you?

Oh OK, I didn't hear you the first time. I guess it's official then, Sony used a slower memory card to bottle neck their superior DUAL processing speed. They must do it so that they don't get too far ahead of Nikon and Canon. Great sportsmanship Sony. 💪
Musclehead

I remember a mate having a Sony 300 2.8 version cleaned, so taken to pieces, this was done by a guy we knew and if you see the thickness of some of the elements in it, it makes you wondered how they could shave the weight to such an extent. I assume it is all glass elements? also recall people saying version 2 of the a-mount had a plastic protector over the big end element but I have no clue if that is correct.
I too have wondered how they got the weight of the 70-200 down so low. More plastics inside, including to replace glass? Would that make sense for internal elements that never get handled? Hard to say with the technology available.

Only four? And that's what you're basing your opinion on? Got it. Good talk.
Yup only 4. I don't appear to socialize in many circles that professional photographers do. I didn't get into wildlife photography because I wanted to be around a lot of people.

Your position is 96% of all event photographers are living payday to payday making it impossible for any to buy the A9iii and my position is that is wrong and many event photographers will consider the A9iii and some will buy it.

Yup only 4. I don't appear to socialize in many circles that professional photographers do. I didn't get into wildlife photography because I wanted to be around a lot of people.

Your position is 96% of all event photographers are living payday to payday making it impossible for any to buy the A9iii and my position is that is wrong and many event photographers will consider the A9iii and some will buy it.
My position is that most event photographers aren't well enough off to spend money on a new camera every time a new model drops. You're the one who mentions a specific percentage, not me. My post uses words like 'most'. Kind of funny that you cite me for extremes, then use words like 'impossible' to state your case. And in which post did I say that 'some' people wouldn't buy it? Not once. Go back and read it from the beginning.

It has occurred to me, after some consideration, that maybe Sony are trying to move the A9 series away from the dedicated wildlife guys, for which the A1 is much better suited.
Maybe the 9 III has some sports applications, though I'm not sure, it's biggest thing in that respect is the global shutter. Given that pro guys have a limited time to send the shots across for publishing, they aren't that likely to use 120fps in the field, in fact, I don't think anyone will!
Anyway, the A1 is still the definite wildlife (or specifically wildlife in action) king in the Sony range thanks to the resolution and burst speed combo. I'm very disappointed with the delay of the new firmware though, I was hoping it would sway me.

I will sell my 70mm-200 GMII, along with my A9II and/or possibly my 400mm, and buy the 300 GM as well as the A9III.

The Precapture, Global sensor distortion control and C5-120 FPS of the A9 III all fit into my wheelhouse, photographically speaking,
the 300 GM with a TCx1.4 and added lightness are attractive and having used a Nikon 300mmx2.8 to great effect for many years
the 300 GM again fits well into my shooting preferences.........
Thanks Paul, yes this is my plan and I have initiated a pre- order deal......let's see what comes out of the woodwork as we see further and more detailed field reviews......friendly agents who will accept pre-order cancellations are a wonderful thing...

It has occurred to me, after some consideration, that maybe Sony are trying to move the A9 series away from the dedicated wildlife guys, for which the A1 is much better suited.
Maybe the 9 III has some sports applications, though I'm not sure, it's biggest thing in that respect is the global shutter. Given that pro guys have a limited time to send the shots across for publishing, they aren't that likely to use 120fps in the field, in fact, I don't think anyone will!
Anyway, the A1 is still the definite wildlife (or specifically wildlife in action) king in the Sony range thanks to the resolution and burst speed combo. I'm very disappointed with the delay of the new firmware though, I was hoping it would sway me.
agreed, but other than what the price might be, I'm excited on what the A1II could / will be given the A9III tech. Global shutter, some kind of burst mode (doesn't have to be 120 FPS), better AF. That said, the A1, especially in the used market with some deals that pop up like the Amazon discount this week, is getting to be a better deal.

I noticed the body dimensions are 4mm wider than the RV. Thickness and height are the same, although the RV weighs slightly more.

When I went from the RIII to the RV, even though the body was only a few millimetres bigger at all dimensions it really felt like a fair bit more camera in the hand. Maybe the bigger grip played a big role in that feeling but, though I did have to alter the separators in my bags for the new body.

My position is that most event photographers aren't well enough off to spend money on a new camera every time a new model drops. You're the one who mentions a specific percentage, not me. My post uses words like 'most'. Kind of funny that you cite me for extremes, then use words like 'impossible' to state your case. And in which post did I say that 'some' people wouldn't buy it? Not once. Go back and read it from the beginning.
You gave the ratio of 20-1 in which the 20 are the ones living payday to payday, this is both a percentage and a statement of impossibility, especially since you said it was common sense.

The only people that buy a new camera every time a new model comes out are youtubers and us stupid hobbyist.

You gave the ratio of 20-1 in which the 20 are the ones living payday to payday, this is both a percentage and a statement of impossibility, especially since you said it was common sense.

The only people that buy a new camera every time a new model comes out are youtubers and us stupid hobbyist.
Again, payday to payday is your interpretation. You continue to imagine things and put words in my mouth.

That is pretty astonishing at 1.4kg that 300mm! 👏

Think I remember reading Tony AW here saying he hopes it comes under 2.5kg or even better, 2kg. How about under 1.5kg!!? 🫣

I pre-ordered it!

Yeah, that's very good news for me. Price isn't bad, either.

I am having trouble carrying the 200-600 for too long, but this will be fine. Mark Galer's reviews gave a lot of examples using the 1.4x and 2x and every quite heavy crops of the 2x. I am looking forward to using the 300 GM, especially now I know it will weigh about the same as my first two 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses did.

I remember a mate having a Sony 300 2.8 version 2 a-mount cleaned, so taken to pieces, this was done by a guy we knew and if you see the thickness of some of the elements in it, it makes you wonder how they could shave the weight to such an extent. I assume it is all glass elements? also recall people saying version 2 of the a-mount had a plastic protector over the big end element but I have no clue if that is correct.

I don't think it's plastic elements.

They showed the main way that they got the weight down in the 300 GM - they moved most of the elements back towards the mount. That means that the elements can be smaller in diameter (big win - elements get much heavier as the diameter increases because the thick parts have to be thicker) - Canon shaved some weight in one of their super-teles the same way. I think that's also why it has just one focus group rather than two.

In the 70-200 GM II they also managed to shave the weight by combining elements - they have the tech to put an aspheric surface onto one of the elements, so they could turn what used to be a two-element group into a single element. The GM II has something like 4 fewer elements.

I pre-ordered it!

Yeah, that's very good news for me. Price isn't bad, either.

I am having trouble carrying the 200-600 for too long, but this will be fine. Mark Galer's reviews gave a lot of examples using the 1.4x and 2x and every quite heavy crops of the 2x. I am looking forward to using the 300 GM, especially now I know it will weigh about the same as my first two 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses did.

What price did that come in at?

I have a test chart I made and my 70-200mm with the 2x on holds the same consistency through the focal range as the lens does without it, and I think it loses maybe 2% of it's sharpness. In the real world we're looking at identical performances.

I definitely wouldn't hold any reservations in putting a teleconverter onto a new Sony lens based on what I've seen.

The a-mount 300 g mk2 was £6,500 so I guess that a bit better than expected, I might stick on the a91 a bit longer and get the glass I love primes, it should be good with the 1.4 but not sure about 2x

Thanks for that - I had a bit of a look at pricing before the announcement, but it's difficult to get good comparisons.

This is going to be my first super-tele prime - I've owned a 200 f/2 before, but I don't think that counts, even though the 200 f/2 weighed 2.5kg.

I don't think it's plastic elements.

They showed the main way that they got the weight down in the 300 GM - they moved most of the elements back towards the mount. That means that the elements can be smaller in diameter (big win - elements get much heavier as the diameter increases because the thick parts have to be thicker) - Canon shaved some weight in one of their super-teles the same way. I think that's also why it has just one focus group rather than two.

In the 70-200 GM II they also managed to shave the weight by combining elements - they have the tech to put an aspheric surface onto one of the elements, so they could turn what used to be a two-element group into a single element. The GM II has something like 4 fewer elements.
I never thought they would be plastic Tony, but was wondering how the weight was cut

I never thought they would be plastic Tony, but was wondering how the weight was cut
Sorry - I misunderstood.

There was some description of how they did it in the announcement - it's up the front of the video, so you don't have to sit through the A9 III part to see it.

What price did that come in at?

I have a test chart I made and my 70-200mm with the 2x on holds the same consistency through the focal range as the lens does without it, and I think it loses maybe 2% of it's sharpness. In the real world we're looking at identical performances.

I definitely wouldn't hold any reservations in putting a teleconverter onto a new Sony lens based on what I've seen.

:rolleyes: I put the pre-order in when the dealer opened on Wednesday. Paid a deposit and it's labelled "price to be determined"

I had a good relationship with this dealer and I expect to get a good price, but it's still going to be a big purchase. I think the most I've paid for a piece of camera gear was pre-ordering a Canon 1Ds in 2007, but this will be close to the same number of dollars - probably about what I paid for my pre-ordered A1.

Spent yesterday shooting with the 70-200 GM II + 1.4x to get a feel for what it will be like. That was fun. The 300 will be a bit heavier, but f/2.8 instead of f/4.

Already anticipating. Sony Australia have a note on the web page for the lens saying "Next estimated shipping date 29 January 2024" - that's better than March 2024, at least!

:rolleyes: I put the pre-order in when the dealer opened on Wednesday. Paid a deposit and it's labelled "price to be determined"

I had a good relationship with this dealer and I expect to get a good price, but it's still going to be a big purchase. I think the most I've paid for a piece of camera gear was pre-ordering a Canon 1Ds in 2007, but this will be close to the same number of dollars - probably about what I paid for my pre-ordered A1.

Spent yesterday shooting with the 70-200 GM II + 1.4x to get a feel for what it will be like. That was fun. The 300 will be a bit heavier, but f/2.8 instead of f/4.

Already anticipating. Sony Australia have a note on the web page for the lens saying "Next estimated shipping date 29 January 2024" - that's better than March 2024, at least!

Maybe a little under $11,000 in Australia at release I reckon. Maybe you'll get it for $10,000 or so.

How much bloody Sony gear do you have Tony? Do you mind putting your complete gear list down, I'm intrigued!

Maybe a little under $11,000 in Australia at release I reckon. Maybe you'll get it for $10,000 or so.

How much bloody Sony gear do you have Tony? Do you mind putting your complete gear list down, I'm intrigued!
Sony's site shows the starting price for the 300 GM at $10.5k, but I suspect that's just their starting point - won't be surprised if they adjust it a bit downwards before shipping. The current price is the exchange rate of the US price + Aus GST.

Sorry, I'm not going to list all the gear I have, but I have six GM lenses and five G lenses (unless I miscounted) at the moment, and one on order. I have only three Sony bodies at the moment.

Sony has been annoyingly good at releasing them at a rate where I can afford to buy them.

Tony in general medium to big primes are much better than zooms and teleconverters, so I think unless Sony have dropped the ball on this one you will be impressed with the 300 2.8

I remember a mate having a Sony 300 2.8 version 2 a-mount cleaned, so taken to pieces, this was done by a guy we knew and if you see the thickness of some of the elements in it, it makes you wonder how they could shave the weight to such an extent. I assume it is all glass elements? also recall people saying version 2 of the a-mount had a plastic protector over the big end element but I have no clue if that is correct.
lens development has changed so the bigger front elements have fewer in latest gm ,this also helps keep elements nearer the camera body which aids the balance ,a win win for us users ,lighter and better balanced

wrong they will use it to get the shot no second takes in sport it is not like the camera stops shooting in continous mode either so you can be set for 20,30 ,40,50 ,80 fps but the touch of the button C5 and boom 120fps and carry on shooting ,so when that baseball player hits the ball at a defining moment you are not missing it ,the flash sync issue is just as huge no more will you need big production lighting a small flash will get a lot done hss will be a non issue ,so bright days when you f1,2 with some flash it will be achievable think up to 1/80000th of second to control the light where as normal flash syncs 1/250th at best try shooting wide open f1.2 with daylight and flash at 1/250th ,you would need a ton of filters and then you would need a ton flashes,s with power ,thinks of gigs also no banding at events super important ,agencies will love this ,Wildlife photographers well they will not really most are of the pixel peeping generation and why not some those wildlife images look super detailed on a 50-60mp camera ,heres the take the A9mk3 is a game changer (hate the term) much like the orignal A9 gave 20fps blackout free shooting with minimal rolling shutter,this led to current flagships A1 Z9 Z8 and R3 and OM1 ,the next a1 will likley have a global shutter think 2 years time, the next a7r6 will maybe have a stacked sensor or at least 80-100mp ,the next a75 will most likley have a stacked sensor also ,but for me i would rather spend 6k on the 300mm f2.8 or look towards a used 400mm f2.8 will be a few of these circulating soon s/h

Tony in general medium to big primes are much better than zooms and teleconverters, so I think unless Sony have dropped the ball on this one you will be impressed with the 300 2.8

I never expect to afford the 400 or 600, so this 300 will be my "great white", but a bit more discreet than the "big boys" :)

Last weekend I was photographing lion cubs next to a guy with a 600 on a monopod - that is definitely not a discreet lens. It was funny, in a way - it was way too long when the cubs were only 2 or 3 metres away (that would be inside its minimum focus distance, wouldn't it?). I'm really looking forward to the 300mm being handheld.

Back