Ok so who will buy either of the new Sony releases either the a9iii or 300 gm 2.8 or are these irrelevant to you?

I'll stick with my A1's for the moment. The only thing it's missing for me is pre-capture. I'll wait for the A12 before I consider upgrading. As for the 300mm, I already have the 70-200 2.8 and the 400 2.8 so I would probably have to sell one to get the 300. Not sure what I will do next.

If a global shutter, 1/80,000 shutter speed, and unlimited flash sync aren't important to you, you're further ahead with an A1. That's the direction I'm heading.

I was looking at Sony and Minolta 400 and 600 on eBay last night. $3k-ish. :unsure:
As you know I have the 400 but would never buy the 600, played with one a couple of times and it is a big heavy lump

I don't disagree with that, but again: Working photographers already know how to handle flash photography and banding. Most wedding photographers aren't rich. If what they have is already working and the choices equal feeding your family or spending $6k on the latest gadget, then why would they? My comments aren't so much the advantage these new features bring, but the practicality of a working photographer upgrading just because.

Yes, it's all convenient and neato. It's also unnecessary. Sony's sole purpose in this release is to put Canon and Nikon on notice and return them to playing catch up while the photography world oohs and ahhs over it.

There is one feature I wish more cameras had, and that's the pre capture. Previously peculiar to Olympus/OM, (their 'pro-capture').
Why is it always the absolute extremes? Why can't it be a wedding photographer that lives in an apartment by herself that costs 2k a month and drives a 3 series? Why is the choice food or gear? Let's be honest here if the choice is get something or get food maybe the better choice is get a different job.

Yes a chunk of this is going to be for selling the tech to other companies and showing off what they can do but that isn't unusual in the tech industry. Technology is "unnecessary" before it is widely adopted. If working photographers only kept what works they would only move from their first gear once it no longer worked, which would be an extremely rare case. No working photographer is going to change gear just because some new gear came out, they are going to consider what they do, what the new gear does and if that new gear will better their life more than the cost of obtaining it.

Why can't it be a wedding photographer that lives in an apartment by herself that costs 2k a month and drives a 3 series? Why is the choice food or gear? Let's be honest here if the choice is get something or get food maybe the better choice is get a different job.
How many of those do you know?

Common sense dictates that my person outnumbers your person 20-1.

I can only assume the excitement people speak of for the a1 mk2 means they are looking forward to a price tag of 7-8k because that seems to be all Sony are interested in the top line, it will not be long before they force more from this hobby, the practice of constantly over specking cameras with much that many do not need or want should be in Sonys thought process

I"m not interested in the A9 III -- My A1, with its 50 MP, much more suits my needs and my usage. Also, I already have issues with a too-heavy finger on the shutter button when shooting in burst mode/Continuous High+ and having to wade through numerous images later in the computer! A camera which can go 120fps would be really dangerous in my hands! Imagine how quickly one would eat up a memory card.....

The 300mm f/2.8 GM is really, really appealing and I would love one, but I probably won't actually purchase this lovely lens.

Imagine how quickly one would eat up a memory card.....
No need to imagine, they told us the numbers on the day of release. The camera can shoot 192 images or a 1-1/2 second burst before it hits buffer, which results in 6 Gig worth of data. A 160 gig CF card would get you a total of 26 of those. A Terabyte gets you 167 button presses.

I can only assume the excitement people speak of for the a1 mk2 means they are looking forward to a price tag of 7-8k because that seems to be all Sony are interested in the top line, it will not be long before they force more from this hobby, the practice of constantly over specking cameras with much that many do not need or want should be in Sonys thought process
maybe those stacked sensors will be avaible for the normal a7 line up with out the price hike ,for us wildlife .macro ,landscape ,portrait event photographers a stacked sensor is all that is required ,i do not see nikons z9 and z8 owners clambering for a global shutter with cameras that have no mechanical shutters ,they are too busy showing off stella wildlife lenses

i am tempted by the sony 300mm f2.8 ,maybe trade in the 70-200mm gm mk2 as i plan on trying the 70-200mm f4 macro ,i am all for weight savings and the 300 mm with a 2x could replace the 200-600mm also but the jury is out and 2x is not the greatest by all accounts ,but can work on the big primes.

That is pretty astonishing at 1.4kg that 300mm! đź‘Ź

Think I remember reading Tony AW here saying he hopes it comes under 2.5kg or even better, 2kg. How about under 1.5kg!!? đź«Ł

How many of those do you know?

Common sense dictates that my person outnumbers your person 20-1.
Since I only know 4 people that have ever done photography as a profession I would have to say all of them are much closer to my person than to yours. In fact the person I described would be the one doing the worst.

BTW if we would use your ratio than the city of Philadelphia would only have like 5 event photographers that are not living event to event and there are way more than that who have offices in Philly and are paying way more that 2k a month in rent for those.

Since I only know 4 people that have ever done photography as a profession I would have to say all of them are much closer to my person than to yours. In fact the person I described would be the one doing the worst.

BTW if we would use your ratio than the city of Philadelphia would only have like 5 event photographers that are not living event to event and there are way more than that who have offices in Philly and are paying way more that 2k a month in rent for those.

Go get him Dave!!! đź’Ş

No need to imagine, they told us the numbers on the day of release. The camera can shoot 192 images or a 1-1/2 second burst before it hits buffer, which results in 6 Gig worth of data. A 160 gig CF card would get you a total of 26 of those. A Terabyte gets you 167 button presses.
Oh, thank you for the mathematical calculations! I am not fond of math, and not good at it, but for me while reading the initial description of the new A9 III it was enough to off the top of my head realize that in my hands, how much of a disaster using an A9 III at full-out fps would be! LOL!! Thankfully I am not a sports shooter, either as an amateur or as a professional, and so I don't need that kind of speed. I'm perfectly content with my A1's 30 fps or whatever it is..... That is fast enough!

Actually, it's really rather cool to look at the frames, one-by-one, and see the subtle changes in each, as an eyelid begins the process of blinking and closing or the direction of the subject's eyes, along with the head and neck, shifts ever-so-slightly as they are moving to look at something else.

Last edited:
Assuming the processor has the potential to keep up, I'd have thought CF Express Type B would have been a far better option for this camera.

Sony cameras use only CF Express Type A . Type B is used by other systems such as Nikon and I think Canon...... A Type B CFE card will not work in a Sony camera, so don't waste your time and your money.

I only know one wedding photographer, well, two actually as they work as a couple. Two points: they invested heavily in canon mirrorless a while back after trading nikons in, so this won't interest them at all and they don't use flash to my knowledge.

As an aside, they lent me a camera to play with, but as they didn't believe in any form of front element protection, I was too afraid to do much with it!

They only run one car, when he ran out of oil recently, he popped round and put a gallon of my garden machinery four stroke in it. Hardly the lap of luxury.

Only four? And that's what you're basing your opinion on? Got it. Good talk.

Can anyone find any information on the DR? In the past Sony has always trumpeted that info, this time it seems like it's being suppressed. Also, anyone know why the base ISO is 250?

Assuming the processor has the potential to keep up, I'd have thought CF Express Type B would have been a far better option for this camera.
Processor(s). They put two of them in there for the global shutter and 120FPS. And yeah, it could keep up, but Sony is still the only company that has adopted the slower Type A card.

I've been reading comments on other forums, even the M-4/3 people have sat up to take notice!
Understandable considering the M.Zuiko 300 f4 is 5 grams heavier. Quite an impressive feat on Sony's part. 🍻

I trust that you've had confirmation from the Sony engineering department on that one. ✅️
Sorry, I don't have time to spoon feed you. Figure it out for yourself.

The a9 III is built around the latest Bionz XR processors, giving eight times as much processing power as was present in the a9 II.

The a9 III can shoot 120 fps with full AF conducting calculations between each shot. It can continue this for 1.6secs of 14-bit Raw files: 192 frames and 6GB/s. It can pre-buffer for up to 1 sec, giving a preemptive 120 frames of pre-capture.

Almost forgot: đź’Ş

Sorry, I don't have time to spoon feed you. Figure it out for yourself.

Almost forgot: đź’Ş

It doesn't have any information about the processing power required for a 24mp global shutter to take 120fps so I'm not sure what that information achieves in regards to my thought. What I can tell you for sure though is that a CF Express Type B at 4gb/s would clear the buffer quicker than a CF Express Type A can at 1gb/s, so then as I stated it could very well be governed by the processing power, hence the reason they seen the sense of using a what seems to be a hindrance of a card on such a fast camera.

Thank you. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery... ❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
The camera has two BionZ XR processors, so I'm thinkin' that ain't the issue.

The camera has two BionZ XR processors, so I'm thinkin' that ain't the issue.

Oh OK, I didn't hear you the first time. I guess it's official then, Sony used a slower memory card to bottle neck their superior DUAL processing speed. They must do it so that they don't get too far ahead of Nikon and Canon. Great sportsmanship Sony. đź’Ş

I've been reading comments on other forums, even the M-4/3 people have sat up to take notice!
I remember a mate having a Sony 300 2.8 version 2 a-mount cleaned, so taken to pieces, this was done by a guy we knew and if you see the thickness of some of the elements in it, it makes you wonder how they could shave the weight to such an extent. I assume it is all glass elements? also recall people saying version 2 of the a-mount had a plastic protector over the big end element but I have no clue if that is correct.

Last edited:
Back