Name
Roger Smith
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
2023 was a big year, anything folks are looking ahead to this year? For stills focused photographers, I don't think we will be seeing any major cameras announced. Maybe for video shooters. The A1II is a year+ away in my opinion, I think its March that the rumored firmware upgrade might appear. Any lenses on the horizon after the 300 2.8 from last year? Would still love to see Sigma put out a new version of its 500 f4 in E mount.

2023 was a big year, anything folks are looking ahead to this year? For stills focused photographers, I don't think we will be seeing any major cameras announced. Maybe for video shooters. The A1II is a year+ away in my opinion, I think its March that the rumored firmware upgrade might appear. Any lenses on the horizon after the 300 2.8 from last year? Would still love to see Sigma put out a new version of its 500 f4 in E mount.
A7SIV or whatever they're going to replace the A7SIII with is a possibility, could be an FX camera. A1M2 at the end of the year or maybe early next. Firmware updates for the A1 and A7SIII are promised for March. Other than that, lenses. Maybe a fast 85, there's also a wild rumor about a 24-200/2.8-4.5. Haven't heard much about anything else. The A9III is going to overshadow anything until after the Olympics.

I look forward to the A1 firmware update thought not expecting a lot for stills. I do feel that by the end of the year the A1ii will be announced but released in early 2025. Sony seems to be targeting the 2015/16 lens for a gen 2 version so I feel as though there will be an updated 90mm macro coming which I would be very interested in. They may also start with some of the 2017 lens which would put the 100-400GM in the window but longer lenses tend to have longer periods between updates, if we don't hear about an update for this by March then it won't be updated this year. Mostly I feel I have to do more to master the lenses I have and other than the 90mm I don't feel my lenses can't deliver what I want.

Based on release history I expect an A7v to be released this year but I don't have any interest in it.

My G.A.S. is satiated for now. Sony can release whatever they want in the full frame realm, my wallet is empty lol

Other than an A1 MK II which I would probably trade the A7RV in for I can't really think of anything I really want aside from a moderately priced tele prime.

There were also wild rumors about a new RX1R, compact fixed focal length camera. It could contain a curved sensor..

Perhaps we will see some new APSC lenses, and updated teleconverters.

By the way, why aren't there any Sony telephoto primes specifically for APSC?

Last edited:
Well I guess a new camera for me and since the a9 iii is no longer of interest I guess the a1 is likely, but having said that I have the 300 g e-mount in mind so it may be that instead, both of course would be nice but it seems a bit greedy

The short answer is that any FF lens mounts on an APS-C camera with a focal length increase of .5, and you're probably getting better optics anyway since the outer edges of a FF lens aren't in play on the smaller sensor.

The longer answer is that there are typically two reasons someone chooses APS-C: Size, and cost. A dedicated telephoto prime wouldn't be very popular for those reasons, and those that do want one can just use a FF lens.

You tend to see dedicated crop sensor tele-primes on systems like Fuji and M-4/3 that don't have FF options.

Size, and cost. A dedicated telephoto prime wouldn't be very popular for those reasons, and those that do want one can just use a FF lens.

Well, the dedicated APS-C lens would be smaller, and, maybe (should-be?) cheaper!

Well, the dedicated APS-C lens would be smaller, and, maybe (should-be?) cheaper!
But would it sell? I suspect those interested in fast tele primes specifically for APS-C are few.

A quick check at B&H for APS-C primes beyond 75mm for Sony, Canon, and Nikon combined are zero. There must be a reason.

As interesting as an APS-C super telephoto lens would be Sony really hasn't made any real effort to make the APS-C camera lineup sports/wildlife friendly. Because of that their research group has probably determined that there just isn't enough of a market to design such a lens.

I'd be curious to see how many A6xxx users have a 200-600G or a 400+ lens from 3rd party.

But would it sell? I suspect those interested in fast tele primes specifically for APS-C are few.

I don't know. Sony marketing/management obviously think they do. And perhaps they are right.

But, take this example: in this country, the a6700 might as well not exist. It does, and is sometimes even available, but all the Sony marketing I see is for the a7cII and the a7Rc. A friend says, it's because the aps-c won't be popular. Well, indeed it won't... if they don't make some effort to make it so!

I think they expect the third party manufacturers will fill that gap without Sony having to risk the investment. Like Vlitrox and their excellent 75mm.

Otherwise, if an APSC owner had the cash and inclination, they would just buy the FE prime lens which corresponds to the telephoto range they want.

Non-primes, Sony made an excellent 70-350 and it still sells well. I do wish they would update the 18-105 f4 though. That was a great power zoom lens for APSC video shooters.

I don't know. Sony marketing/management obviously think they do. And perhaps they are right.

But, take this example: in this country, the a6700 might as well not exist. It does, and is sometimes even available, but all the Sony marketing I see is for the a7cII and the a7Rc. A friend says, it's because the aps-c won't be popular. Well, indeed it won't... if they don't make some effort to make it so!
See the rest of my post. Not Canon, Sony, nor Nikon produce an APS-C prime beyond 75mm.

Interesting thoughts. I agree that Sony did the market research and came to the conclusion that a telephoto prima for APSC will not sell well.

That said however, from a user perspective, a smaller lighter (than the full frame version) 300mm f/2.8 for Sony APSC would be awesome.

Interesting thoughts. I agree that Sony did the market research and came to the conclusion that a telephoto prima for APSC will not sell well.

That said however, from a user perspective, a smaller lighter (than the full frame version) 300mm f/2.8 for Sony APSC would be awesome.
I would also like an APSC version of the 70-200 f2.8, but I don't expect anyone to make it. Actually it would be great if Sigma made it. They could adapt it for x-mount and sell a ton to Fuji owners.

I would also like an APSC version of the 70-200 f2.8, but I don't expect anyone to make it. Actually it would be great if Sigma made it. They could adapt it for x-mount and sell a ton to Fuji owners.
When looking at lenses that are of similar focal lengths, lens class and release period (no sense in comparing a lens from 2012 to one from 2019) between APS-C and FF there appears to be about a 10% difference in price. I don't know the technical differences between mounts and how easy it would be to change. With Sony there is the additional question of how many people are going to look at a 70-200GM or 400GM with a 10% price difference and say I'll just get the FF because I might switch is a couple years.

When looking at lenses that are of similar focal lengths, lens class and release period (no sense in comparing a lens from 2012 to one from 2019) between APS-C and FF there appears to be about a 10% difference in price. I don't know the technical differences between mounts and how easy it would be to change. With Sony there is the additional question of how many people are going to look at a 70-200GM or 400GM with a 10% price difference and say I'll just get the FF because I might switch is a couple years.
I hear you and agree. I only singled out Sigma because they seemed to have some economies of scale with developing their APSC trio (16,30,56mm) and later 18-50 for E-mount and X-mount simultaneously.

The full frame Tamron 35-150 would give you a 53-225. The only APSC lens I could compare in size to it is the Fujifilm XF 50-140, with the Tamron at 35 since unlike the Fuji it has external zoom. The Fujifilm zoom is about 200 grams lighter. Based on using the Tamron lens on my A7Cr, the extension on the camera would make the lens somewhat comfortable to use on the A6700. Back when I used Fujifilm gear, I actually preferred using the 90 f2 over the zoom same I now prefer using the 135 GM over the 70-200 GM II.

For aps-c lens ecosystem it's hard to beat Fuji.

The 35 1.4 is legendary. The 56 1.2 has great rendering but so-so autofocus. The 90 2.0 is razor sharp. The 200 2.0 (I don't have that lens) is a beast. Not much advantage in size though. A1 vs X-H1 w 50-140 pictured below.

The 50-140 2.8 zoom is a nice event lens but not really in the same league as the 70-200 2.8 GM II even though it's almost identical in size.

IMO Sony isn't interested in owning the crop market. Most likely it's there as a gateway to the full frame options.

Agree with @FowlersFreeTime that hopes for a wider array of interesting E mount crop lenses lies with 3rd party.

Come to think of it I bet the Tamron 70-180 G2 2.8 would be nice on a A6700. :)

Attachments

• DO01000733.JPG
    DO01000733.JPG
    392.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back