Name
Roy Priest
Country
Canada
City/State
White Rock, B.C.
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
If I have a cf express A card in slot one and an SD V90 card in slot two does the camera default to the lower speed of the sd card?

If I have a cf express A card in slot one and an SD V90 card in slot two does the camera default to the lower speed of the sd card?
I have a similar arrangement and it doesn't appear to.

Correct it doesn't as long as you have slot one with the CF express A card identified as your primary recording slot and overflow to
slot 2 when slot 1 is full...... at which point it will slow down.

If you record to both cards simultaneously(both Raw or Jpg or even Raw to 1 and jpg to 2) there may be slowdown...as i do not do this
i haven't experienced what happens. I'm sure someone else on the site can clarify this latter point.

Capture.JPG

It will only slow down to the speed of the SD card if you are shooting to both cards simultaneously or sorting one file type on slot 1 and another file type on slot 2. When shooting like this you will always be restricted to the speed of the slowest card. Just shoot to slot 1 if you want the maximum speed from the CFexpress card or add a second CFexpress to slot 2 if you want to shoot simultaneously or sort and retain the speed.

You'll find some buffer tests results with both CFexpress and UHS-II SD cards in my guide here: https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/a1/memory-cards/

I have a similar arrangement and it doesn't appear to.

Correct it doesn't as long as you have slot one with the CF express A card identified as your primary recording slot and overflow to
slot 2 when slot 1 is full...... at which point it will slow down.

If you record to both cards simultaneously(both Raw or Jpg or even Raw to 1 and jpg to 2) there may be slowdown...as i do not do this
i haven't experienced what happens. I'm sure someone else on the site can clarify this latter point.

It will only slow down to the speed of the SD card if you are shooting to both cards simultaneously or sorting one file type on slot 1 and another file type on slot 2. When shooting like this you will always be restricted to the speed of the slowest card. Just shoot to slot 1 if you want the maximum speed from the CFexpress card or add a second CFexpress to slot 2 if you want to shoot simultaneously or sort and retain the speed.

You'll find some buffer tests results with both CFexpress and UHS-II SD cards in my guide here: https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/a1/memory-cards/
Sorry to be so long in answering. Thanks to everyone who responded.. Good to know it doesn't default to the slower card. I didn't think it did but now I know. thanks again

Back