Share your fails

mikison

Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Hi, I need cheering up...

I was out yesterday evening, looking for Long Eared Owls. It was a bit chilly, so I thought I'd wait a bit before getting my camera out.... big mistake.
I saw the LEO in a near by field, but before a could get to my camera it literally flew straight at and over me! Missed a great chance for a decent shot, even the light was good 😔😔😔.
If you've got any similar fails, it'd really cheer me up if you'd share🙂🙂🙂

I know how to make a Northern Harrier fly right next to my car or land on a fence/sign. I just go to some place they are, spend time photograph them from a great distance and then go to leave, and this is the key part, the camera needs to be either in the bag in the trunk or backseat, if it is out and easy for me to get this doesn't work.

Other targets that I have missed good shots with I have probably since gotten so keep at it.

I know how to make a Northern Harrier fly right next to my car or land on a fence/sign. I just go to some place they are, spend time photograph them from a great distance and then go to leave, and this is the key part, the camera needs to be either in the bag in the trunk or backseat, if it is out and easy for me to get this doesn't work.

Other targets that I have missed good shots with I have probably since gotten so keep at it.
🤣🤣🤣

Blinking annoying and contrary this wildlife sometimes...I guess it's a useful reminder to get the camera out sooner rather than later.
TBH is probably have got a shot but I needed to take the 1.4x tc off as well 🤦🤦🤦

I had a kingfisher lined up on a lonely road earlier this week, but needed to restart my camera. In that second three cars blew past me, and I focused on an empty branch. Oh so close .. :cry:

I had a kingfisher lined up on a lonely road earlier this week, but needed to restart my camera. In that second three cars blew past me, and I focused on an empty branch. Oh so close .. :cry:
I feel your pain. I console myself with the fact it was great to see the LEO... but a great photo would've been awesome.
You cheered me up though.... I'm not alone!!

I got a fantastic shot many years ago of a Green Blue Heron and White Egret confronting each other. Nailed the shot.
Except this was with a Fujifilm camera that when using EFCS at a fast shutter speed will smear the feathers - I only found out about that "feature" of that camera after the fact. ☹️

I got a fantastic shot many years ago of a Green Blue Heron and White Egret confronting each other. Nailed the shot.
Except this was with a Fujifilm camera that when using EFCS at a fast shutter speed will smear the feathers - I only found out about that "feature" of that camera after the fact. ☹️
Nightmare. That sounds worse than my experience; from joy to pain...at least I knew I'd gaffed straightaway...I feel bad now for asking you to relive the day ☹️☹️☹️

Some time last year when taking this long exposure below, a small black and white bird flew to the river bank very close to me. I was impressed by its courage to come that close. I was very determined to get shots of it, Interestingly up close. I took a few shots as the bird went about its business. When the bird flew away i was so excited to check the several images i had taken. I was new to photography and since the bird would wag its tail up and down every time it moved,all my images of the bird were full of motion blur. I realised i should have increased the shutter speed from 2 seconds to around 1/250th. I was almost in tears. I will post the blurry bird photos tomorrow when i get back to my work desktop.
In the meantime here is the long exposure i jad gone to attempt

photo-1668185490642-4080f621b5b5

In my personal work my biggest fail, was also one of my most important lessons early on. Many many years ago on my honeymoon in Yosemite National Park, a landscape photographer dream location, we had gone for a long and tiring hike. I had taken quite a few photos that day along the hike to the falls, put my camera back in the bag and got on the shuttle to go back to our cabin. As we passed one of the large meadows that has a great view of Half dome and one of the more famous trees in the valley, a stunning tree that stands by itself in the middle of the meadow. As it came into view, it was lit by the sun in the most amazing way, the light made it glow against everything else. So me being tired and my camera was already in the bag, decide not to stop, noticed the time and remarked that we should come back at the same time tomorrow. I thought I would be able to shoot it with that light, the next day. Well i have been by that tree maybe 50 times since then and it has never been lit that way again for me. It taught me that when one sees the image shoot the image it may never be the same again.

Back in the mid-90's my film camera's meter battery was dead. I did have the camera set-up with the settings for sunny 16. Took a hike up to the top of the highest point of Point Reyes National Seashore. It was one of only two days that are known to be sunny at this location. At the peak of the hill, I relaxed with my camera beside me eating my lunch and was watching a ground squirrel close by me. A dark shadow appeared over me and then it happened, a raptor wanted the little critter for its lunch. I was still chewing and holding my sandwich with my camera never getting touched. I obviously missed the shot as did the hawk miss its lunch. :)

Today, I glanced out on the back deck and saw a little critter chowing down on a pineapple (long story). The A1 was tethered to the computer downloading photos, so I grabbed the A7 IV and mounted the 70-200.

I pushed the lens through the curtains and tried to get a shot. I couldn't get the autofocus on the squirrel.

Can you see the problem?
A7405550.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500

I accidentally bumped the window while I was trying to solve the problem. The noise scared him off before I could change the eye autofocus to animal.

I had changed some custom buttons on the A1 (my daily driver) but forgot to make the same changes to the A7 IV, so I was fumbling around trying to find the setting.

Not the loss of a lifetime, but worthy of a whack on the side of the head.

Some time last year when taking this long exposure below, a small black and white bird flew to the river bank very close to me. I was impressed by its courage to come that close. I was very determined to get shots of it, Interestingly up close. I took a few shots as the bird went about its business. When the bird flew away i was so excited to check the several images i had taken. I was new to photography and since the bird would wag its tail up and down every time it moved,all my images of the bird were full of motion blur. I realised i should have increased the shutter speed from 2 seconds to around 1/250th. I was almost in tears. I will post the blurry bird photos tomorrow when i get back to my work desktop.
In the meantime here is the long exposure i jad gone to attempt

photo-1668185490642-4080f621b5b5
in respect to my post above, i had promised to bring the photos. it turns out i had actually attempted to increase the shutter speed only that in my little experience at the time i didnt know what i had was inadequate.
DSC03265.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC03281.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100

In my personal work my biggest fail, was also one of my most important lessons early on. Many many years ago on my honeymoon in Yosemite National Park, a landscape photographer dream location, we had gone for a long and tiring hike. I had taken quite a few photos that day along the hike to the falls, put my camera back in the bag and got on the shuttle to go back to our cabin. As we passed one of the large meadows that has a great view of Half dome and one of the more famous trees in the valley, a stunning tree that stands by itself in the middle of the meadow. As it came into view, it was lit by the sun in the most amazing way, the light made it glow against everything else. So me being tired and my camera was already in the bag, decide not to stop, noticed the time and remarked that we should come back at the same time tomorrow. I thought I would be able to shoot it with that light, the next day. Well i have been by that tree maybe 50 times since then and it has never been lit that way again for me. It taught me that when one sees the image shoot the image it may never be the same again.
Wowser that is an amazing tale, I'm gutted for you. Definitely true what you say and it helps to have you camera out and ready to shoot for those moments. I had another similar thing last year TBH, we were out on a 🐕 walk without a camera and saw two barn owls close up in decent light, I'm still kicking myself for that one to. I really must learn...

in respect to my post above, i had promised to bring the photos. it turns out i had actually attempted to increase the shutter speed only that in my little experience at the time i didnt know what i had was inadequate.
View attachment 37601View attachment 37603
The wrong shutter speed is something we've all done!!! What's the 🐦 species on your photo?

The wrong shutter speed is something we've all done!!! What's the 🐦 species on your photo?
i have no idea of the bird species, i just found the bird interesting enough to photograph

Reading all the replies, so far I have been lucky!

There was one instance where I knew there was a Snowy Owl spotted nearby so I spent the whole afternoon at -20C with snow and strong winds looking for it. When I finally spot it I was able to take a few shots before it flew away. It took a couple of photos from far away and tried to move closer really slow to not startle the owl... but before I got close enough it flew away. At the moment I was happy I saw it at least and I managed to have a couple of shots that hopefully I was able to crop, only to discover that I did not shoot RAW but small JPG instead... no idea how, but it happened...

After that I saved custom settings (I have 2 slots on my camera), 1 for fast action and 1 for bigger/slower wildlife so this never happened again.

For every fail, I endet up with one more gray hair. There are a few darker ones left.

Because of the stupid 2nd set of dials I've had all my settings correct but accidently have been in the shutter release timer setting. Nothing quite like bringing the camera up, grabbing focus, pressing the shutter button and then wondering why nothing is happening.

Back