Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Do any of you guys find the membership naming here confusing, so what I mean is Tim Mayo uses the title pro member, I think often members assume people are in fact pros retired or other wise?
Here is another question when I joined I sat for months viewing the forum and looking at peoples shots trying to decide if I should post, so are we in fact as a forum intimadating to new members?
thoughts good or bad, oh and I like most other am not a Pro just a hobby for me

Timmy told me I was poisonous in the first few days I was here. It still hurts... 😢

Timmy told me I was poisonous in the first few days I was here. It still hurts... 😢
Well that is Timmy you dont know which one you are getting:) that what makes him a interesting no holding back. mate and to honest I dont worry about you Clint put your big boy pants on mate :)

Most forums refer to it as 'contributing member'.

Flickr uses Pro for paid subscriber members too. I can unerstand how the label would confuse.

I did as well and the replies intimidated me further, even now some people rub me the wrong way from time to time and i decide that it is not worth posting here.

I was a total novice and this forum has definitely helped me, so that’s that as well.
Thanks for your input Charlyee

This text appears at the bottom right of every(?) page. It dispelled any ambiguity for me.

alpha pro members.jpg

I think some other term would make more sense, other forums i am on use gold or silver, contributing, premium member and the like. even though I understood what it meant here, pro member always seemed a bit misleading to me
As to posting images here I have never find any forum intimidating I just found the focus of what is popular or celebrated here more narrow than expected.
We all like what we like and if one wishes to post they should post what they like.

Last edited:
Honestly, I thought the PRO comp was only for professional photographers for a while...

At least it's not pro in the oldest profession sense...

Fundamentally whether as a Patreon member, as defined on some sites, or as a pro member on others, the distinction seems to be more related to a commercial distinction and perception of the individual as to whether you wish to secure additional typical benefits as outlined by ST for the AS site or alternate benefits as on other sites.

Lets not pretend that pro-member or patreon menber bestows any higher ability of those that choose to register for such patronage...the bottom line is it
is a means of raising revenue by the site administrator/owner, as is common across the internet in general these days, and not in any way a recognition of the abilities of the individual/site visitor other than their ability to pay or not as a cost/benefit analysis in accordance with the relevant site rules.

The titles are irrelevant in my view, whatever your perceived "professional " status, it is the underlying site commercial relationship to the benefit of the administrator that rules, and for no other reason..........the internet is littered with many more examples of the same approach, their is no secret here.

Well what is the oldest profession Kev I am sure I dont know can you explain please :confused:

Check out The A Team by Ed Sheeran. That should clear this up for you Gary... ✅

I remember having to be at a dance studio's night years ago (my girl at the time done all the costumes) and basically all the people in the audience were all so mushy and excited about how amazing it was with this as the theme song seeming that the night was an angel theme. Really opened my eyes to how oblivious people are to information that is literally right in front of their face. Definitely something I'll never forget... 🤦

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out The A Team by Ed Sheeran. That should clear this up for you Gary... ✅

I remember having to be at a dance studio's night years ago (my girl at the time done all the costumes) and basically all the people in the audience were all so mushy and excited about how amazing it was with this as the theme song seeming that the night was an angel theme. Really opened my eyes to how oblivious people are to information that is literally right in front of their face. Definitely something I'll never forget... 🤦
Sort of the reply I expect from you Clinton you little monkey :)

Fundamentally whether as a Patreon member, as defined on some sites, or as a pro member on others, the distinction seems to be more related to a commercial distinction and perception of the individual as to whether you wish to secure additional typical benefits as outlined by ST for the AS site or alternate benefits as on other sites.

Lets not pretend that pro-member or patreon menber bestows any higher ability of those that choose to register for such patronage...the bottom line is it
is a means of raising revenue by the site administrator/owner, as is common across the internet in general these days, and not in any way a recognition of the abilities of the individual/site visitor other than their ability to pay or not as a cost/benefit analysis in accordance with the relevant site rules.

The titles are irrelevant in my view, whatever your perceived "professional " status, it is the underlying site commercial relationship to the benefit of the administrator that rules, and for no other reason..........the internet is littered with many more examples of the same approach, their is no secret here.
yes but you assume we all paid for the benefits you speak of
My name is Clint...
I know Clint

While I understand your point, on many of those other forums, like my Jeep forum for example, if the designation for someone who had paid was called a pro member there would never be any confusion about whether they were a Professional driver in the offroad community or not. With photography there is a lot more to saying someone or some equipment is a Pro. But then again the administrator can use whatever term they like.

At first I thought like you the pro membership was for that reason....I then looked at the forum and realised it was for a paid membership , it fully explains the benefits you get with it .... perhaps subscription would be a better choice of description.

Just my thoughts

Brian.

Well what is the oldest profession Kev I am sure I dont know can you explain please :confused:
Not been to Amsterdam then :D

Regarding the actual question, I never actually felt it made a difference to how others perceive it, it was originally just there to separate those that joined early, as Tim "gave away" Pro membership to the first 250. That's now different, and most of the active originals have lost the Pro name anyway and are Veterans or Legends :D No one calls me legend (except my subconcious)

Not been to Amsterdam then :D

Regarding the actual question, I never actually felt it made a difference to how others perceive it, it was originally just there to separate those that joined early, as Tim "gave away" Pro membership to the first 250. That's now different, and most of the active originals have lost the Pro name anyway and are Veterans or Legends :D No one calls me legend (except my subconcious)
Kev please refer to my reply on previous page at 10.27 pm yesterday

Do any of you guys find the membership naming here confusing, so what I mean is Tim Mayo uses the title pro member, I think often members assume people are in fact pros retired or other wise?
Here is another question when I joined I sat for months viewing the forum and looking at peoples shots trying to decide if I should post, so are we in fact as a forum intimadating to new members?
thoughts good or bad, oh and I like most other am not a Pro just a hobby for me
Funny that you should post this Gary because I have been thinking about this recently. Being honest I didn't give it too much thought when setting up the forum. I think I only went with "Pro Member" because that was what FlickR was using and I thought if it works for them it could work here :) But I understand all of the concerns that members have raised here and these were already on my mind. I was already thinking about renaming it to something like "Site Supporter" or "Premium Member", I'm probably favouring the latter right now but might put it to a vote.

Lol! The other Timmy did! You know that weird guy from Michigan..!

That wasn't scaring me off! You guys weren't getting off the Clint hook that easily... 😎
And you still are. That selfie you posted is proof. :sick:

Funny that you should post this Gary because I have been thinking about this recently. Being honest I didn't give it too much thought when setting up the forum. I think I only went with "Pro Member" because that was what FlickR was using and I thought if it works for them it could work here :) But I understand all of the concerns that members have raised here and these were already on my mind. I was already thinking about renaming it to something like "Site Supporter" or "Premium Member", I'm probably favouring the latter right now but might put it to a vote.
How about 'Top Dawg', or maybe 'big cheese club'? Maybe you can do one for Clint special, 'chief exterminator'?

How about 'Top Dawg', or maybe 'big cheese club'? Maybe you can do one for Clint special, 'chief exterminator'?
never mind that Tim how did you buy the Legendary status, explain a club of 2 at the moment I think?

Hi Timothy,

Premier member sounds good to me 😊

Back