View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Myrimma

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Michaël Gellenoncourt
I everyone,
I'm reaching to you because I don't really know what to do ... I recently bought a used sony 200-600 lens, that seems in a very good state. Lenses are perfect exterior shows minor sings of usage etc...

I've been watching a lot of videos and threads abou this lens and its incredible sharpness. Eager to try it for myself, as soon as it arrived, i mounted it on my sony A7III bought new and starting testing it with my bird photography settings.
BUT its not sharp AT ALL at 600mm... I tried focusing on far objects, medium range ones and close ones. On medium and far objects its just no sharp ...
I took the same photo at 600mm and 200, and 200 croped in is sharper !
I'm getting nuts and extremely frustrated ...
I joined the files, raw + jpeg, if someone could help me, i'll be extremely grateful...

Attachments

• DSC00928.JPG
    DSC00928.JPG
    849.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00929.JPG
    DSC00929.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 65
I can't see any metadata. Without knowing shutter speed and other settings no way to try and assess.

My first thought is return the lens.

Hi!!

I was at 1/1000s, f6.3, auto ISO, on both pictures, and 200mm on the wide one and 600mm on the close up one.
The object is about 5-6m away so quite close

I did another test at 1/3200, f6.3, manual ISO at 1000 and here is the result : see joined image

The left one is 200mm cropped in at 75% and the right one is 600mm cropped in at 28%.

and this time the object was really far away, like 80m.

And as you can see the 200mm with a GIANT crop is far better than the 600mm...

Attachments

• 70b1feb2-a56f-11ee-9eec-611f0d5a6a9a.jpg
    70b1feb2-a56f-11ee-9eec-611f0d5a6a9a.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Try shooting at 1/2000 and shut the IBIS off. See if it improves.
When I go in menu > Steady shot is grayed saying controlled by the lens
And I tried disabling steady shot on the lens and the difference remains

Ok we can help if you post full size shots with full metadata included, I have the a7iii still and the 200-600 is nothing but sharp on it, the 200-600 can be a learning curve a first, check what version software the camera is running in the early days of the a7iii and 200-600 they did not play nicely, and an update did improve things back then although I expect it is technique at this point
robin 6.4.22.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 8000

If it's gray, it's off. So....try turning it back on and take some more shots.

Ok we can help if you post full size shots with full metadata included, I have the a7iii still and the 200-600 is nothing but sharp on it, the 200-600 can be a learning curve a first, check what version software the camera is running in the early days of the a7iii and 200-600 they did not play nicely, and an update did improve things back then although I expect it is technique at this pointView attachment 52993
OK thanks, I'm not at home right now but I'll do so as soon as possible!

Damn that's sharp...

Firmware wise I always update! I'm on 4.01 for the camera and .03 for the lens itself...

I don't understand what could be wrong with my but I would be more than happy to learn from you!!! You are probably right but I don't see what to do...

I'll update in a few with full metadata pictures

OK thanks, I'm not at home right now but I'll do so as soon as possible!

Damn that's sharp...

Firmware wise I always update! I'm on 4.01 for the camera and .03 for the lens itself...

I don't understand what could be wrong with my but I would be more than happy to learn from you!!! You are probably right but I don't see what to do...

I'll update in a few with full metadata pictures
That shot is at the same 6.3 as yours and at 8000 iso and it should be possible for you to get some great shots from this combo, is can just be practice as well as all the above mentioned by all replies :)

When you upload you are given the choice of thumbnail or full size.
Alright! Thanks for letting me know! I'll upload some tests shots as soon as I get back home! (in 3 hours or something like that)

I tried every focus setting all are giving the same results.... I thought of micro AF adj. But it's not available on fe lens on fe bodies...

And I'm not sure that's the issue because even in manual AF I can't get sharp, even with af peaking and zoomed in to be accurate

I tried every focus setting all are giving the same results.... I thought of micro AF adj. But it's not available on fe lens on fe bodies...
You don't need MF adjust with mirrorless. Besides, that ain't Micro!

I would start the process of returning the lens, personally.

I know, just saying how weird it is....
I just leaved a specialized store in my area and the lens does seem to have a problem... The zoom ring is way harder to turn and as a slight resistance at 400 whereas it's a lot smoother on a new one and has no resistance whatsoever....
I asked for a "devis" I'll let you know... I'll will steel upload the photos when I can so you can tell me if it's a true lens problem or if it's me...
I the meanwhile thanks alot for you're answers!

Yes... I got screwed... Whatever... Seen another experts, and they instantly said the same thing.... The zoom ring as resistance and a slight stop in between 300 and 400 millimeters...

So, here is a first sample at 200mm:
DSC00952.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1000

Here is a second one at 600mm:
DSC00953.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1000

If you zoom in on both images, you'll see that the picture took at 200mm is way sharper than the 600mm one ... For me its an issue ... Otherwise why making 600mm lenses if shooting at 200 and cropping in is sharper ... Anyway, I asked for a reparation estimation, il will probably cost me the of a brand new lens all added together... I fill dumb, but anyway I can't do much now.
If you think its not the lens i'll be happy to try anything !
Thanks for all your informations and patience i'll keep you updated!

What distance is this over? I can try and replicate it with mine.
Its about 80m ! When manual focusing is says something in between 70 and 80 m, even if the pictures where autofocus. (I can't get them sharper with manual focus)

Its about 80m ! When manual focusing is says something in between 70 and 80 m, even if the pictures where autofocus. (I can't get them sharper with manual focus)
I'll have a go in a while, but in all honesty, I wouldn't expect great sharpness from a 600mm lens at 80m, especially if there are atmospherics involved.

I'll have a go in a while, but in all honesty, I wouldn't expect great sharpness from a 600mm lens at 80m, especially if there are atmospherics involved.
me too but at least better than 200 strongl cropped in ... No ?

I'll have to try, but the apparent depth of field at 200mm will be greater and give the effect of sharper focus. I'll be home in a while and try it out.
Alright thanks alot ! I did try as good as new lens in a local shop with a very nice owner that let me compared my lens with the shop's one and his is far better ... I know some lenses can be better than others even brand new and the same lens, but here it seems a bit to extreme ... I can't get any sharpness at 600mm even on quite close objects ... like things at 6-8 meters

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back