Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Please use this thread for all questions and discussion around the new Sony A1. If you are curious how the a1 compares to the a9II, then please take a look at my comparison article over on the blog:

The Alpha 1 will be available in Europe in mid Feb for £6,500. In the US it will be available around the beginning of March for $6,500.

Last edited:
But if you ask those from the USA on here I believe that they may have to pay taxes on top of the $6500 price whilst our vat is included in the price. I have read this on other forums but perhaps someone from outside of the UK could comment on this?

But if you ask those from the USA on here I believe that they may have to pay taxes on top of the $6500 price whilst our vat is included in the price. I have read this on other forums but perhaps someone from outside of the UK could comment on this?
Even I can answer this one. Depending on the state you live in, you may have to pay a Sales Tax. It varies from State to State but here in California the tax is around 8-9% depending on the City and/or County you live in. Some states have no Sales Tax. Internet Sales used to be no tax but in California the State is Strong Arming the Selling State to collect California Sales Tax for them. California has a serious spending problems and they are doing everything they can to collect more money, and it will never be enough.

There are certain famous Internet vendors in the U.S. that have company names that contain only 2 letters of the Alphabet, that have a Sales Tax work around. I just got new Sony equipment from them and along with fast, free 2 day shipping and great Customer Service, I have saved well over $500 US in California taxes. :) I B a Happy guy !

Last edited:
Yes, have done grey imports for lenses in the past but not bodies, just in case...
Same warranty as you get with a shop purchase so a no brainer for me.

Please do the following test:
use tripod, RAW type: lossy compressed, AF:M, compare file size of frame of Hi+ 30fps burst with that of single shot drive mode. Purpose of the test? To detect if 30fps causes readout bit depth to go from 14bit to 12bit.

I wonder how long it will be until grey imports are available for A1?
Usually 2-3 Months, depending on how supplies are going to the main dealers. There's always high demand to start with, so we have to wait for the market to calm a bit.

Both Adobe Raw and Capture One 21 now support raw files from the new Sony a1.

Has anyone tried the new Super Resolution feature in 13.2 yet?

Well I've just ordered mine so I will have to wait and see how long it will take for it to arrive?
Who did you order with Ian? I didn't order one straight away either so avoided the bigger stores who always get lots of orders. Went with Harrison Cameras who I've ordered from before. They did tell me they expected to have it two weeks ago but their shipment still hasn't turned up from Sony.

Well I hear the song of the A1, but I still cannot justify it at all.

I am pretty much overequipped with gear and and I didn't mind to buy the 400 f2.8 last year. But spending >7000€ for a body which will be outdated at least in 3 years time nowadays, is ridiculous. Investing in glass was, is and will always be different - especially with high end lenses.
Just taking the example of my recently bought A9M2, which will be already difficult to sell at a reasonable price tomorrow.

There is pretty much nothing, I cannot do with my A9M2 and A7R4 today.

I am almost sure that the delta in AF performance of the A1 vs. A9M2 is minor. Resolution of the A7R4 is even higher, so more potential for cropping. And what I see in the first pics in terms of noise, confirms that the A1 is inbetween A9M2 and the A7R4. SO no surprise. And since we have Topaz Denoise AI, noise is not an issue anymore, anyway. Even if people sometimes complain about the noise level of the A7R4, if you did a good job while taking the picture, the level of detail is great, even at high iso.

So again I don't find any reason today to go for it.

Who did you order with Ian? I didn't order one straight away either so avoided the bigger stores who always get lots of orders. Went with Harrison Cameras who I've ordered from before. They did tell me they expected to have it two weeks ago but their shipment still hasn't turned up from Sony.
I used Cameraworld Timothy, as I actually ordered a fair amount of items from them (they worked out to be the best value as well). One of the shops is fairly close to me and I have found them to be very helpful and friendly with no pressure at all when I have been in there looking at items late last year before lockdown tiers 4 were introduced here. I also used the photography show offers that they had on last weekend (nothing off the A1 of course!) and I 'saved' a fair amount. They have said that the A1 should be arriving around the end of March (along with my 1.4x teleconverter) which Is quicker than I thought it would be. Everything else arrived two days after i'd placed the order with them and I have to say excellent customer service from them. Plus they have a 2 year guarantee included with cameras/lenses over £300.

I have not ordered any CF express A cards yet. I was hoping that someone else would bring one out rather than just Sony now that it would be worthwhile. But I will eventually have to order some before the camera turns up! Have you bought the PCK-LG1 screen protector for yours? Plus will these wipes be ok?

for lens cleaning purposes?

I used Cameraworld Timothy, as I actually ordered a fair amount of items from them (they worked out to be the best value as well). One of the shops is fairly close to me and I have found them to be very helpful and friendly with no pressure at all when I have been in there looking at items late last year before lockdown tiers 4 were introduced here. I also used the photography show offers that they had on last weekend (nothing off the A1 of course!) and I 'saved' a fair amount. They have said that the A1 should be arriving around the end of March (along with my 1.4x teleconverter) which Is quicker than I thought it would be. Everything else arrived two days after i'd placed the order with them and I have to say excellent customer service from them. Plus they have a 2 year guarantee included with cameras/lenses over £300.

I have not ordered any CF express A cards yet. I was hoping that someone else would bring one out rather than just Sony now that it would be worthwhile. But I will eventually have to order some before the camera turns up! Have you bought the PCK-LG1 screen protector for yours? Plus will these wipes be ok?

Yes, if I ever order the A1 I'll use the Cameraworld near me. They have been pretty good with previous camera gear and I prefer the support the smaller retailers if possible. 👍

Will have to keep my eye on Cameraworld, I've not used them before. The CFexpress cards are definitely minty. I ordered two of the 80GB ones as I couldn't justify the price of the 160GB cards, especially if I ever misplaced one which is likely as they are so small. Hopefully Sony see's some more competition here soon to bring the price down. I already have a spare PCK-LG1 ready to go, I definitely prefer to put something on there. I use those Zeiss wipes as well, they do a good job together with some microfibre cloths.

Usually 2-3 Months, depending on how supplies are going to the main dealers. There's always high demand to start with, so we have to wait for the market to calm a bit.
Except the warranty is not quite the same with grey import sony will not give you warranty ,it will be down to the vendor and how there scheme is run most likely insurance based

Except the warranty is not quite the same with grey import sony will not give you warranty ,it will be down to the vendor and how there scheme is run most likely insurance based
Not so with e-infinity, it's exactly the same. Panamoz have their own Insurance backed one. I registered my body and lens with Sony UK with no issues at all.

Not so with e-infinity, it's exactly the same. Panamoz have their own Insurance backed one. I registered my body and lens with Sony UK with no issues at all.
that is good to know ,not as though i am looking for the a1 at the moment but there will be another camera just can not decide r4 or a9 or wait for a74 anyway it will probably be a lens purchase next the tamron 70-180mm is looking a likely candidate but i keep
holding out for the sigma 70-200 f2.8 it may not happen and my patience is not that good .

I did have an A7RIV on order in January. There was no ETA from Sony, so I have decided to skip that and have ordered an A1 instead. I am really hoping that it meets the hype and that it may get delivered in the coming months.

I did have an A7RIV on order in January. There was no ETA from Sony, so I have decided to skip that and have ordered an A1 instead. I am really hoping that it meets the hype and that it may get delivered in the coming months.
quite sure it will ,although the a7r4 is still a great camera think if owned one it would be hard to justify giving it up even if i owned a alpha 1

yes not a real need for 3 cameras i would keep the a9 it has more in common with a1 which will help muscle memory swapping between the 2.
For me ideal scenario would be a1 and a7c
Similarly, I had an a7rIII and a9. I decided to keep the a9. That is, until I figured out how to get a second a1 ... so I sent both the other bodies off to be sold, and now for the first time since I went all digital in 2005 I have two identical full frame bodies. I do believe - for my mix of wildlife, landscapes, cityscapes and night sky - the a1 does it all.

Last edited:
Similarly, I had an a7rIII and a9. I decided to keep the a9. That is, until I figured out how to get a second a1 ... so I sent both the other bodies off to be sold, and now for the first time since I went all digital in 2005 I have two identical full frame bodies. I do believe - for my mix of wildlife, landscapes, cityscapes and night sky - the a1 does it all.
Welcome to the Forum, Marc. Just where do you call home?

A completely different question here.

Can you download photos/video to a memory stick plugged straight into the USB C port on the A1 (like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EZ0X55C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ). Or can you only do it via the cable into a pc/phone via the USB C port?

As not having a Sony camera before (apart from when I hired one) I just wondered if it was possible. My old Macbook does not have a USB C port and I am trying to weigh up wether to buy the Pro Grade reader or use the USB C cable plus buy an USB C to USB adapter. I though the above would be good for out 'in the field' for back up purposes if it does work but may well be a curved ball or a dumb question?

A completely different question here.

Can you download photos/video to a memory stick plugged straight into the USB C port on the A1 (like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EZ0X55C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ). Or can you only do it via the cable into a pc/phone via the USB C port?

As not having a Sony camera before (apart from when I hired one) I just wondered if it was possible. My old Macbook does not have a USB C port and I am trying to weigh up wether to buy the Pro Grade reader or use the USB C cable plus buy an USB C to USB adapter. I though the above would be good for out 'in the field' for back up purposes if it does work but may well be a curved ball or a dumb question?
I would go with card reader solution, but having a PC without an usb-C port is enough indication that it will be way underspeced to do the necessary processing of A1 data deluge.

What is holding me back from ordering an A1 (and previously an A7R4) is the low-light performance above iso800 (photography side, don’t care about video) most YouTube reviewers avoid discussing this issue. The few RAWs that I was able to preview with CaptureOne did not impressed me to much.
I am used to use highlight exposure on my A7M3 and then pulling shadows in post, and that method is OKish only up to iso800.
would much appreciate some non-ambassador, real-life use feedback regarding this topic.

Back