Sony A1 Sony A1 Questions & Discussion

You can choose between JPEG, RAW, or RAW + JPEG under Image Quality Settings. You'll find them here: Menu > Shooting > Media > Image Quality > Image Quality Settings.
Thanks I must have missed that... twice.

And you get an option of compressed RAW.
Not all programs and operating systems can display them. Eg Windows can't in Explorer. The standalone viewer Fast Raw Viewer can but it's clunky.

And you get an option of compressed RAW.
Not all programs and operating systems can display them. Eg Windows can't in Explorer. The standalone viewer Fast Raw Viewer can but it's clunky.
There is a plug in from Microsoft that allows Windows to show compressed raw. Can’t remember the name.

I went on a hunt recently and failed to turn any current codec up. Talk of one was a deadend.

The libraw code is available if you can compile in C++ and add the libraries.

There is a plug in from Microsoft that allows Windows to show compressed raw. Can’t remember the name.
The RAW Image Extension enables viewing images in the Photos app as well as thumbnails, previews, metadata of RAW images in File Explorer. You can open a RAW file’s properties window to see the metadata.

And you've had it working on ARW 4.0?

I shoot Sony A1 1.2 firmware, compressed raw. So arw. I do about 2-3000 per month. I was just looking for photos yesterday. NP

Well it didn't when I ran it a month ago.

And when you say you ran it, it was displaying compressed Raw in Explorer.

So I've gone back to that page and again find nothing linkable or downloadable.

Ok, the only thing I do is look for the thumbnails. Which it does display the pics. If I double click it ask which program I want to open in. I have not had a reason to open in win photo app. I don’t think it will. I will check again tonight. Been awhile but I don’t think my explorer would display thumbnails which is why I installed the extension.

If people find the embedded JPEG enough, then Faststone Image Viewer will display them.

Sounds like a good argument to stay with JPEG!

With jpg/jpeg much of the decisions are made by the camera and with RAW the photographer has the control in his or her hands. Most of the time only minor adjustments may be needed, but there are those times when one has made a serious error and it's helpful to be able to correct it easily enough in RAW, whereas it wouldn't be correctable in jpg. A classic example is the guy who some years ago went with his DSLR on a one-day excursion to shoot the famous cherry blossoms in the Washington, DC area. He spent a happy day there and it was only after he got home that he realized that he had never changed his white balance from the last time he'd used the camera, so he was horrified to see everything in the WB setting for fluorescent lighting. If he had shot in jpeg all his images would have been for naught, but instead he was able to adjust his WB settings during editing because he had shot in RAW.

If people find the embedded JPEG enough, then Faststone Image Viewer will display them.
The thumbnails may be the jpeg embedded in the raw, however they sure look like unadjusted raw. Dull and under exposed a bit, because thats the way they were shot. They didn’t show prior to installing the raw viewer app in win 10. So works for me when looking for a certain pic.

With jpg/jpeg much of the decisions are made by the camera and with RAW the photographer has the control in his or her hands. Most of the time only minor adjustments may be needed, but there are those times when one has made a serious error and it's helpful to be able to correct it easily enough in RAW, whereas it wouldn't be correctable in jpg. A classic example is the guy who some years ago went with his DSLR on a one-day excursion to shoot the famous cherry blossoms in the Washington, DC area. He spent a happy day there and it was only after he got home that he realized that he had never changed his white balance from the last time he'd used the camera, so he was horrified to see everything in the WB setting for fluorescent lighting. If he had shot in jpeg all his images would have been for naught, but instead he was able to adjust his WB settings during editing because he had shot in RAW.
Yes I'm well aware of the differences and the downsides. I usually shoot RAW with my Panasonic FZ300 but so far have found it unnecessary with my Sonys as there has been sufficient data available in the JPEGs for processing to my satisfaction.

Is it possible to shoot RAW + JPEG simultaneously and have the RAW files go to slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2?
I've tried to set it up but can't get it to do both together. Must be missing something?

Is it possible to shoot RAW + JPEG simultaneously and have the RAW files go to slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2?
I've tried to set it up but can't get it to do both together. Must be missing something?
Hope this helps

They call it the incredibly obvious (NOT!) term “Sort recording”: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000426667.html

The good bit is that the Rec Media Settings page at least has a little table showing what will be recorded to each slot. The same info also shows on the rear screen (top left) if you have the info turned on (press the top edge of the wheel on the back (it’s marked Disp) until you see the two cards displayed with what’s going to be recorded to each) - it’s

They call it the incredibly obvious (NOT!) term “Sort recording”: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000426667.html

The good bit is that the Rec Media Settings page at least has a little table showing what will be recorded to each slot. The same info also shows on the rear screen (top left) if you have the info turned on (press the top edge of the wheel on the back (it’s marked Disp) until you see the two cards displayed with what’s going to be recorded to each) - it’s
Thanks yes, it wasn't obvious to me but after some button pressing and some choice words I think I have it in place.

I don’t recall what the icon next to the card symbol (on the shooting info display, next to the estimate of remaining frames) looked like prior to the recent firmware update; now it shows an icon symbolising RAW L (what used to be just RAW become Large RAW after the introduction of Medium and Small RAW).

I wonder if that L was always there, or if they changed that as part of the firm update?

Back