Followers
Following
Name
Gordon Merchant
Country
Australia
City/State
Tugun QLD.
I recently purchased a Sony A1 and had issues with the A1 rejecting Sony Tough SD cards I contacted Sony Support who had be run a few tests and concluded that my A1 needed to be sent in for repair which freaked me out. Never the less I sent it and found it wasn't the camera that had a problem it was the Sony SD cards I was using. The Sony Support person I spoke to was unaware there's recent recall on Sony Tough SD cards that don't have the minute * on the back of the card. So beware it's hard enough to read the number on the back of the cards that alone see the * without a magnifying glass. The cards without the * worked on all my other Sony cameras it seems to be the A1 with this issue but check the Sony website update for more info. Cheers, Gordon.
DSC07135.JPG
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 8000

I had issues getting the light at the right angle to make the serial number visible when I found I had to send one of my cards back - it was a while back. Thanks for showing what the * looks like, so can check any future cards I get.

I also had issues with A1 rejecting my Sony SF-G128T card (has the "*") after I deleted all files from it using a PC.
Formating it on the PC didn't solve it, luckily I had my backup 7M3 that accepted and formatted the card, after that A1 accepted it, I formatted it once again on the A1, after that no more issues. Will not do a delete-All or format of a camera card on a PC ever again, only camera formatting from now on.

I also had issues with A1 rejecting my Sony SF-G128T card (has the "*") after I deleted all files from it using a PC.
Formating it on the PC didn't solve it, luckily I had my backup 7M3 that accepted and formatted the card, after that A1 accepted it, I formatted it once again on the A1, after that no more issues. Will not do a delete-All or format of a camera card on a PC ever again, only camera formatting from now on.

I believe the problem with that is the Sony database - you deleted the files, but the database still had record of them.

I have not explored why Sony thinks having the database is a good thing (maybe it helped on the slow processors in early Alphas?) but I’d rather they just used the base card format as other manufacturers do.

I had two Sony Tough SF-G64T memory cards which worked fine in the an A9ii, A7Riii, A7Riv, but as soon as I put them in an A1 they refused to work. Won't even let you format them in the body. Only from that experience did I find out that both of them were defective and qualify for their free replacement program. I've sent them in to Sony. Only goes to March 31, 2022 so if anyone has a defective card get them replaced before the program ends!

I had no idea they were even defective until I tried them out on the A1. I bought the A1 thinking I'd just use my UHS-II cards, only to find out that I could only use my UHS-I cards for my first shoot, lol.

Back