Sony A7 III Sony A7 III missing focusing areas (missing zone, expand flexible spot)

Myrimma

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Michaël Gellenoncourt
Hi everyone,
I recently upgraded from my trusty A700 to a A7III.
I was wathcing some talks about AF details on the A7III and all the users in the focus area menu have a lot of choices : wide, zone, flexible spot, expand flexible spot, lock-on etc...
So I grabbed mine to test all these out and surprise surprise I don't have many of them .... I only have wide, center, flexible spot.... I'm really confused....
I really want the expand flexible spot one but I don't have it ...

My setup : A7III + lA-EA4 + Sigma EX 105mm f/2.8 Macro
Firmware : 4.01 out of the box

Any ideas ?? Thanks a lot ....

Solution
Well i received the LA-EA5 and it does display !
I cannot afford to change my old minolta lenses right now (which are screw drive so I need the LA-EA4) and my sony 70-400 SSM (the reason i got the LA-EA5) ...

Anyway thanks a lot for your answers and patience,
Have a very nice day !
The lea-5 will not drive screw drive lenses on the a 7iii , it will work with ssm Sony lenses 70-400 for sure g2 and I guess g1 silver version, ps I dont think there is an issue with the lea-4 it is how it is, the lens age dictates the amount of focus points on that adaptor,I use lenses from the late 1980s on the lea-4. I have the a7iii and both adaptors and have tried most Minolta and Sony glass on both
Hi everyone,
I was wathcing some talks about AF details on the A7III and all the users in the focus area menu have a lot of choices : wide, zone, flexible spot, expand flexible spot, lock-on etc...
So I grabbed mine to test all these out and surprise surprise I don't have many of them .... I only have wide, center, flexible spot.... I'm really confused....

There's a way to limit how many of those AF areas are available. It sounds like someone may have set that up. Did you buy it used? I would do a factory reset so you're starting from scratch.

Here's a link to the on-line users guide, you can use search terms to find what you need.

Hi everyone,

It is probably the lea-4 adaptor that is only allowing some focus options, I have used Sony adaptors a lot and dependent on the lens mounted the focus options change. I dont think Sony have tested any non Sony lenses on the lea-4 or lea-5

Hello !! First thing, thanks for answering that fast !
Weird ... No I bought it brand new...
Ok I thought of this but I was going to try this as a last result ... Anyway i'll give it a try right now if you think it can fix it :)
Do you think it can have something to do with LA-EA4 converter ?

I'll keep you updated, thanks again for your answer !

PS: I just received a notification that my LA-EA5 is arriving today, hopefully it will solve the problem

Totally missed the LA-EA4.

Some of the A-Mounts are limited, like Spud said. The 500/8 Reflex will only do center area AF, no tracking. That's probably it.

I cannot afford to change my old minolta lenses right now (which are screw drive so I need the LA-EA4) and my sony 70-400 SSM (the reason i got the LA-EA5) ...

Have a very nice day !

Have a very nice day !
The lea-5 will not drive screw drive lenses on the a 7iii , it will work with ssm Sony lenses 70-400 for sure g2 and I guess g1 silver version, ps I dont think there is an issue with the lea-4 it is how it is, the lens age dictates the amount of focus points on that adaptor,I use lenses from the late 1980s on the lea-4. I have the a7iii and both adaptors and have tried most Minolta and Sony glass on both

Solution
Yes I know, it's the reason why I keep both :) sorry if my message was not clear ^^
Thanks a lot for you help !!

If Sony could do one lousy thing for their customers that would have no ill-effect on their sales, it would be to write firmware so the LA-EA5 is fully functional all the way back, or at least to the A7II and RII. This reminds me though, with my RIII up for sale I need to sell the LA-EA4, as I won't have any use for it anymore.

Back