Followers
Following
Name
George
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Edinburgh
Has anyone used the Top Shelf Camera Bag by Bevis Gear? It looks very good on their video and I am tempted but would like to hear from anyone who has one.

From my view this would not be a good bag. First it doesn't have a link for the shoulder straps across the chest which helps distribute the weight more evenly and also doesn't have a hip straps which also helps distribute the weight. The "slide the bag around" seems like a nice idea and can speed up accessing the bag but to do this would require using just a single strap which, at least for my gear, would be just too much weight on that one shoulder.

I wish there was a service that would allow you to test a bag for a week.

I like the fact that it converts from a backpack to a sling bag. I prefer and use slings for the most part, but when I have to take a bunch of stuff a backpack gets the nod.

I wouldn't be too concerned about not having a waist strap, but the lack of a sternum strap (the link @iamdlewis refers to) would be bothersome. I can see the shoulder straps slipping out as you walk. My Peak Design 30L Everyday had a removable sternum strap that I usually leave off for my typical use. But if going on a hike or long walk, I'd want to have it on. Maybe Bevis' design has eliminated the need.

There are quite a few video reviews on the bag, maybe view a few and see what they say.

I like the fact that it converts from a backpack to a sling bag. I prefer and use slings for the most part, but when I have to take a bunch of stuff a backpack gets the nod.

I wouldn't be too concerned about not having a waist strap, but the lack of a sternum strap (the link @iamdlewis refers to) would be bothersome. I can see the shoulder straps slipping out as you walk. My Peak Design 30L Everyday had a removable sternum strap that I usually leave off for my typical use. But if going on a hike or long walk, I'd want to have it on. Maybe Bevis' design has eliminated the need.

There are quite a few video reviews on the bag, maybe view a few and see what they say.
I've looked at a few video reviews most are good but a personal response is better. Not too worried about lack of chest strap, can easily buy and fix one on, I did this with a previous bag.

From my view this would not be a good bag. First it doesn't have a link for the shoulder straps across the chest which helps distribute the weight more evenly and also doesn't have a hip straps which also helps distribute the weight. The "slide the bag around" seems like a nice idea and can speed up accessing the bag but to do this would require using just a single strap which, at least for my gear, would be just too much weight on that one shoulder.

I wish there was a service that would allow you to test a bag for a week.
A bag for a week, there's an idea for a business venture!!!

Back