Using extension tubes

micksulley

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mick
I have an A7 iii and Tamron 28-200 lens. I have got a set of extension tubes and would like to understand how to operate with them.
With the tubes fitted, auto focus does not work, which I expected, also the camera does not give any info on the lens, again as expected.
However -
1) The manual focus ring on the lens does nothing. I now suspect that the focus is achieved with electronics in the lens and camera and is therefore not connected with the tube fitted. Is that correct?
2) I cannot see any way to adjust the aperture. Is there a way to achieve that or is the lens stuck on max aperture?
Thanks
Mick

Solution
I think you're right Mick, you need power to most modern lenses. I have an extension tube set, but I got one with electronic connections. With this type of extension tube, you would control aperture on your camera body as normal and the focus can be AF or Manual if you want. Naturally manual is the way to go. Here is an example:
Not terribly expensive either.
I think you're right Mick, you need power to most modern lenses. I have an extension tube set, but I got one with electronic connections. With this type of extension tube, you would control aperture on your camera body as normal and the focus can be AF or Manual if you want. Naturally manual is the way to go. Here is an example:

Solution
Thanks for the reply. Yes that makes sense, just wish I had realised before I got the tubes :)

If its the sort of thing you're just trying out, extension tubes are a cheap entry to Macro.
But if its something you want to really get into, nothing beats a dedicated macro lens so there's no faff with extension tubes. From cheap to expensive, the dedicated macro lens route goes from buying a fully manual third-party lens (like a Meike or TTArtisans), to third-party AF lenses (Tokina for example makes a 100mm macro lens), to native Sony lenses (such as the fairly ubiquitous Sony 90mm Macro). Enjoy!

Back