What made you buy the model you own?

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
I started out thinking I wanted the A7III, and then shifted my attention to the A7R III, but still hadn't made up my mind for sure when the A7R IV was announced, so figured that since I was starting from scratch with this anyway, might as well wait a little longer, see what the A7R IV had to offer....and I eventually got my act together and bought one in November 2019. I love this camera so much -- it's just perfect for me and the way I like to shoot!

Atmfrank

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Reason and considerations:
#1 Covid19: what to do that is safe and satisfying? - getting into BIF and nature photography in general - expand on a major hobby
#2 being ready for an upgrade: from A7/A600) (5 years) -> A9 (AF, speed), A6300 (travel/IQ), A7R3 (resolution)
#3 glass: reading about the merits of recent Sony glass, the 100-400 entered my bag...and I will never look back at all the expenses in 2020.
#4 glass cont.: I used Zeiss and Leica as a teenager. Now Zeiss quality lives on with Sony. A major consideration! (18mm, 25mm, 55mm, 135mm Zeiss in the bag)

Demasoni

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
GAS... Seriously, I bought the Rx10iv because I wanted a better "all in one" than the FZ1000, and (still) like the 24-600mm efl zoom; the A9 because I have got slightly obsessional about birds; the A7Riv because it was an amazing piece of kit, and offered 61MP for landscape and potentially portrait, and also for perched birds. But the AF is definitely not as good as the A9, and it doesn't seem to like the 200-600mm zoom as much.
There does seem to me to be a lot of merit in sticking with a single system -- all these are covered by the same PC software (Imaging Edge), the 2 E-mount bodies share all lenses; the menus and button layouts are almost the same.
Same here. GAS. Got the A9, then 90mm macro, 24-104 F4, then sigma 35 1.4, then 100-400GM, then 1.4 teleconverter along with tripods, lights and light stand. It’s fun!

celin

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
I was a canon shooter for many years. I started in Canon because, at the time, it was the cheapest option for a DSLR. When mirrorless first came out I was intrigued but spent a lot on my canon gear so didn’t want to switch and start over.

I was bopping around on eBay checking out different mirrorless cameras and the Sony A6000 was going for a really good price. So I took the plunge. Once I started using that and absolutely love the performance and size for traveling. Wasn’t thrilled with the battery life though.

After using that for a year or two bought the A7iii and A7Riii followed shortly after. Loved the low light performance of the iii. It was so good. The amount of detail I could recover in low light was incredible. Having the Riii for wildlife and the ability to crop was the finishing touch.
I still use my A6000 when traveling but definitely prefer the iii for the battery power and dynamic range.

All these cameras have their pluses and minuses and I can still use my canon lenses. Even better. I also use some old lenses we have from the film days.Don’t think I will change for a long time as all three cameras meet my needs. There is always a better mousetrap, but this mousetrap works good enough.

Marie Schaller

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
Name
Marie Schaller
Country
United States
City/State
Las Vegas, Nevada
I upgraded to FF from my a6000 (my first digital camera) just a year ago. I bought my a6000 to start my photography learning journey, and felt I had "earned" by way to a FF. The a7III was enough camera that I won't need or want to upgrade for a while (I know what youre thinking, but this is plenty of camera for this intermediate hobbyist), but that had some spectacular features. It was also a pretty decent price point. I am very happy with my purchase, but if I may say, sometimes, I wish I had also held on to my a6000.

Reactions: Atmfrank

Kellison

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 30, 2020
Name
Kim
Country
United States
City/State
Canyon Lake, Tx
I bought the A6500 because of the price point and features at that time, mostly for underwater photography. I felt it was a good buy for a mid-level camera at that time. This year, with the lack of travel, I've started shooting more birds, animals and landscapes and ready to trade up!

Reactions: Joe Blackcreek

Janice

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 30, 2020
Country
United States
I had the Nex-6 for years. Love that camera. Wanted to get more reach for wildlife photography. Was recommended I update the camera body as I was using "Old tech". Thought I wanted the a7riii (?). Got to the store and was explaining what I was going to do with the camera and the Sony expert recommended the a6600. I held it and was sold almost immediately. SO much lighter for travel so when I add a heavier lens I wasn't increasing the weight so much. Am still quite new to photography but I'm enjoying this camera body and the couple lenses I had. I did add a 70-350mm G OSS recently. So. much.to.learn.

Barbara

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 31, 2020
I was a Nikon user and my D70 (15 years old ) started having sensor issues. I do not have the best light where I take indoor photos and the 7@iii had really good rating for low light photography. So I made the jump.

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
The A9 for the AF with birds, and it's proved to be good for BIF and unreliable for small perched birds.

The A7R III rather than the IV to carry with me while out shooting birds for the odd landscape. The resolution advantage of the IV is lost to noise over ISO 400.

I'd like to see Sony implement cross-type PDAF sensors in its bodies.

Reactions: celin

César

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 1, 2020
Name
César
Country
Spain
In my case, the a9II for:
-AF system
-Ergonomics

Rachael Padman

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Rachael Padman
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Suffolk
The A9 for the AF with birds, and it's proved to be good for BIF and unreliable for small perched birds.

I was just congratulating myself on some nice perched bird photos with the A9 (+ 200-600mm). Can you expand on "unreliable"? Thanks.

seuadr

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2020
Name
Jared
Country
United States
City/State
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
i started with the a6000 back in 2014, because at the time people were singing it's praises, and it blew my mind compared to the lumix point and shoot i had prior to that, but then i wanted to adapt canon and sigma lenses when the MC-11 came out and the adapted performance was... not so great, so i upgraded to the A6300. I have an a6500 now, because i dropped the A6300 and broke it and figured that i'd be better off with the bigger buffer and IBIS because i was using adapted lenses. I'm sort of considering an a6600 for improved battery life, but right now i'm satisfied with where i am at.

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
I was just congratulating myself on some nice perched bird photos with the A9 (+ 200-600mm). Can you expand on "unreliable"? Thanks.
The A7R III is just as bad.
Details here:

Rachael Padman

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Rachael Padman
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Suffolk
The A7R III is just as bad.
Details here:
I've never had any problems with the A9, which is just about the perfect camera as far as I can see, EXCEPT that it doesn't have as many pixels as the A7Riv, which is really the only reason I have the latter. But I have had occasional focus failures with the A7Riv, and do not get the same proportion of keepers for moving subjects, including BIF.
Interestingly I'm engaged in a discussion on DPR right now about the Rx10iv focussing on small (because distant) objects, and I now wonder whether that is also the effect of focus area, rather than intrinsic lens sharpness at the extremes of its design range. Possibly something in the Sony algorithms. I will keep an eye open to see if a pattern emerges.

Steveatesh

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 30, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
North East England
This was an easy choice. I was a Nikon shooter and was intending to upgrade to full frame, probably the D850. It was the same time Sony released the A7iii and once I saw reviews I devoured every video and review and quickly decided to switch to Sony.

i was very impressed by the eye focus, focus across the full frame, frame rate and dynamic range so went for it. Added the 24-70 f2.8GM, the 70-200f2.8GM and the 85 F1.4 GM and haven’t looked back!

Reactions: Janice

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
You'll have read the range of things I've tried.
Let us know what you were doing differently.

galatas

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 2, 2020
The lightweight of Sonny mirrorless cameras made me switch to Sonny 5 years ago. Started wit the A7, I sold it and bought the A9. I love it. Recently I bought the A7R4 as a second camera. I like it but still in love with the A9.

Ade

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2020
Name
Ade
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
West Yorkshire
Probably reviews on youtube.

It was the a7III or the a7R.

I went for the a7IIl after the reviews on its focusing capabilities over all else. The extra res would be of no use as photography for me is just a hobby.
So glad I did - this body has opened up another world to me. I tried it in low light last night at my sons outdoor football (soccer) training with a 70-200 f4 and it blew me away. I was shooting through a fence just on auto everything in low light and I couldn't get an out of focus shot. It might even make my family think I know what I'm doing with it.

Last edited:

liggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 13, 2020
I wanted the blazing fast AF and sure tracking of the A9II. The availability of the 200-600 sealed the deal. It’s been great so far although I’d prefer more dedicated dials and aperture rings on the lenses.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.